Pass/ Fail Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re absolutely allowed to have an opinion on the matter. But it’s not as important as those who’ve actually experienced what we’re talking about. You wouldn’t seriously consider the opinions of someone in freshman year of college about how to study for the mcat or any advice about applying to med school. I’m not trying to delegitimize you. I don’t have to. Your opinions aren’t legitimate. I respect the opinion of other posters who actually know what this is about, even if I don’t agree with them. But you don’t. A couple years ago I probably would have agreed with you. That shows the disconnect.

I mean maybe. But you sound like that annoying premed type that somehow knows 50 doctors. Yeah right. Maybe that’s not the case, tho.

Nice clincher. I bet your personal statement was sick:thumbup:
Ok. Don’t take shots bc as I have said before no shots would be taking at me if we were in person :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• EB82869B-D345-4B3F-94C5-DC3B5D3B7038.jpeg
    EB82869B-D345-4B3F-94C5-DC3B5D3B7038.jpeg
    46.4 KB · Views: 88
Encouraging people to not be jerks to each other on a professional forum is not censorship. I'm not going to close the thread unless it turns into a dumpster fire, which it hasn't. Just be professionals. It's not that hard.
I never stated such... Perhaps that means we can both be right not that it matters.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok. Don’t take shots bc as I have said before no shots would be taking at me if we were in person :laugh:

Lol sure bro. What would you do in real life? Because I 100% would tell you to your face that your opinions aren’t legitimate due to having zero experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lol sure bro. What would you do in real life? Because I 100% would tell you to your face that your opinions aren’t legitimate due to having zero experience.
What does experience have to do with making it P/F or not? Lmao. Any physician could say you never been thru the match so you can’t have an opinion on it either. You have literally zero experience with the match. You’re just saying that bc you are mad at my current position. @Lucca is also starting med school, yet u didn’t cross him/her (sorry don’t kno lol) bc you have respect for them. You even agreed to a certain extent. You feel
empowered to People that don’t score as high as you. If I had moderator, lifetime donor, verified, scored 520 on my mcat you’d have a completely different energy Coming at me. You have to feel empowered some way and your way is this on SDN.

I wouldn’t do anything. I frankly don’t care, none of us have power over step 1 being pass fail to begin with. this was supposed to be a thread about discussion over step 1 yet it turned to this bc you don’t like what you’re reading. Also, I was referring to the other person trying coming at my neck. If they were to see me in person they may not have that same energy that’s all lol. You prolly wouldn’t either hahaha. (I was an NFL prospect coming out of college football I know how this goes)...The funny thing is, Your opinion is just as good as mine, neither of it matters. Still won’t stop me from posting.

• Haha
What does experience have to do with making it P/F or not? Lmao. Any physician could say you never been thru the match so you can’t have an opinion on it either. You have literally zero experience with the match. You’re just saying that bc you are mad at my current position. @Lucca is also starting med school, yet u didn’t cross him/her (sorry don’t kno lol) bc you have respect for them. You even agreed to a certain extent. You feel
empowered to People that don’t score as high as you. If I had moderator, lifetime donor, verified, scored 520 on my mcat you’d have a completely different energy Coming at me. You have to feel empowered some way and your way is this on SDN.

I wouldn’t do anything. I frankly don’t care, none of us have power over step 1 being pass fail to begin with. this was supposed to be a thread about discussion over step 1 yet it turned to this bc you don’t like what you’re reading. Also, I was referring to the other person trying coming at my neck. If they were to see me in person they may not have that same energy that’s all lol. You prolly wouldn’t either hahaha. (I was an NFL prospect coming out of college football I know how this goes)...The funny thing is, Your opinion is just as good as mine, neither of it matters. Still won’t stop me from posting.
If that’s true that’s a pretty massive fall of stature. NFL prospect to talking trash on an anonymous message board? Man what happened to you?

You don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re entitled to your opinion. Talk to us when you’ve actually taken it. My opinion changed after taking it. And I’d say this to your face too because what you gonna do? Punch me over it? Cmon now tough guy grow up. But I’ll let you live in whatever world you choose to. Best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
If that’s true that’s a pretty massive fall of stature. NFL prospect to talking trash on an anonymous message board? Man what happened to you?

You don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re entitled to your opinion. Talk to us when you’ve actually taken it. My opinion changed after taking it. And I’d say this to your face too because what you gonna do? Punch me over it? Cmon now tough guy grow up. But I’ll let you live in whatever world you choose to. Best of luck
Medicine was my true passion. And i actually considered choosing a medical school with a d1 football team at the school because I wanted to still play. Lmao not once did I say I would do anything (actually the opposite if you read) I said you may not have that same energy coming at me. I would certainly not punch anyone and didn’t say I would so I don’t need to grow up lol.

Y’all really out here wilding over someone who thinks step 1 will be pass fail:rofl:

And great, it might change again after the match. Saying someone’s opinion is invalid just bc you don’t like what you’re hearing is the childish act actually. You have an opinion on Medicaid and healthcare policies? Have you practiced medicine yet? (I could go on lol). Best of luck to you too. I hope no matter the change on step your match process is smooth.

Edit: @Chibucks15 did I just see you commenting on the thread life after med school/residency?? Aren’t you still in med school? Lmaoooo OD

Last edited:
Phew! Thanks guys. I’ve been so nervous to post again since I realized I triggered someone who’s such a big deal in real life.

Reactions: 6 users
Just going to leave this here for people advocating strict number cutoffs mean anything.

The SEM is 6 points! On repeat testing applicants are likely to have a score of 6+- .

Reactions: 5 users
I haven't read the entire thread, but I haven't seen anyone advocating for strict number cutoffs. Except the 250 cutoff for high pass which seems even more ridiculous now.

Just going to leave this here for people advocating strict number cutoffs mean anything.
View attachment 274006
The SEM is 6 points! On repeat testing applicants are likely to have a score of 6+- .
So based on this there is no statistical significance between a 235 and 250? Hmmmm that’s interesting. It’s almost as if step 1 was never supposed to be a stratifier

I don’t understand all the backlash against the way Step 1 is right now.

There are plenty of countries where high school students take standardized exams to determine their entire future. This is a fairly common occurrence.

A standardized, multiple choice, exam is literally the fairest system we have to stratify students based on knowledge. The only other alternative would be medical school performance which is not standardized, hence a standardized exam like Step 1.

My first two years were p/f and my school doesn’t rank their students. Clerkships grades are the absolute worst way to stratify students. I got lucky and had an attending give me a perfect score, not because I performed well, but as his own way to “protest the system”. Alternatively, you could have a fair attending who grades in a fair manner, which is still not fair because you could get lucky and look smart if you only get assigned patients with the same 5 diseases that you know because the patients you see aren’t “standardized” with a statistically significant standard number of diseases and presentations.

So based on this there is no statistical significance between a 235 and 250? Hmmmm that’s interesting. It’s almost as if step 1 was never supposed to be a stratifier
No. The sed is 8 points. There would be no statistical difference between 230 and 238. But there is a statistical difference between 230 and 239.
Likewise there is a statistical difference between 235 and 244.

I don't think anyone is saying step one was designed to sort residents . Rather it is the only standardized way to sort students out. Anyone who has been on the wards knows there is a difference in fund of knowledge between a 238 and 250.

No. The sed is 8 points. There would be no statistical difference between 230 and 238. But there is a statistical difference between 230 and 239.

I don't think anyone is saying step one was designed to sort residents . Rather it is the only standardized way to sort students out. Anyone who has been on the wards knows there is a difference in fund of knowledge between a 238 and 250.
It says two or more SEDs for proficiency

Lmao... I officially know who this is!

Edit: @Chibucks15 did I just see you commenting on the thread life after med school/residency?? Aren’t you still in med school? Lmaoooo OD
[/QUOTE]
Well 2 things.

1) you said “if you saw me in person you wouldn’t have the same energy”. Most people don’t give a **** who you are and my point stands. Most people would have the same energy because what honestly are you gonna do? Hit them? It’s literally the same crap you’re pulling on here. Nobody cares.

2) you have no idea who I am or what my life experiences are. Sure I’m in med school, but if you’d actually read my post you’d realize I wasn’t talking about anything I didn’t know about.

Have a nice life bud I’m done feeding the troll

And anyone whose been through it knows how much work they had to put in to jump from 230s to 250s range on their practice exams.

Reactions: 4 users
It says two or more SEDs for proficiency
It's definition of statistical meaningfulness is related to the standard deviations in the test. The standard deviation in 20 points. It doesn't mean that two scores 235 and 250 are not different or that the same test taker has the likelihood of achieving one or the other over two consecutive administration's.

What does experience have to do with making it P/F or not? Lmao.

Because in this instance experience matters? :shrug:
You have literally zero experience with the match.

Straw man.
You’re just saying that bc you are mad at my current position. @Lucca is also starting med school, yet u didn’t cross him/her (sorry don’t kno lol) bc you have respect for them. You even agreed to a certain extent.

Reading must be hard. I’ve said the same thing to them as I have you. They have simply earned my respect in engagement more because they can thoughtfully articulate their position and reasons for thinking so. You, on the other hand, have yet to actually proffer a quality response so don’t get the same respect.
You feel
empowered to People that don’t score as high as you. If I had moderator, lifetime donor, verified, scored 520 on my mcat you’d have a completely different energy Coming at me. You have to feel empowered some way and your way is this on SDN

If that’s what you want to believe then sure bro, keep telling yourself that. Lol “different energy”
about discussion over step 1 yet it turned to this bc you don’t like what you’re reading. Also, I was referring to the other person trying coming at my neck.

No, this discussion is what it is because you took it there. Your opinion isn’t valid to us who have been through the process. You going through orientation week doesn’t mean crap to us. “Coming at your neck” what is this? A bar fight? Lol
If they were to see me in person they may not have that same energy that’s all lol. You prolly wouldn’t either hahaha. (I was an NFL prospect coming out of college football I know how this goes)...The funny thing is

I 100% would. You seem to have some self-inflated idea that I would be scared that you would hit me or something lol.
Your opinion is just as good as mine, neither of it matters. Still won’t stop me from posting.

Opinions are not created equal. You can post all you want, no one is stopping you.

read) I said you may not have that same energy coming at me. I would certainly not punch anyone and didn’t say I would so I don’t need to grow up lol.

Y’all really out here wilding over someone who thinks step 1 will be pass fail:rofl:

*backpedal backpedal backpedal
Saying someone’s opinion is invalid just bc you don’t like what you’re hearing is the childish act actually.

Good thing we didn’t do that then.

I’m sorry we don’t give you the reverence someone of your physical “I almost played in the NFL” stature deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.