Pass/Fail pharmacy schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doh1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your goal is to ultimately complete a residency does the PASS/FAIL block system hinder you (or any of your classmates to the best of your knowledge) from receiving a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is to ultimately complete a residency does the PASS/FAIL block system hinder you (or any of your classmates to the best of your knowledge) from receiving a residency?

Residency will rely heavily on LORs involving the staff coupled with magnifying the other credentials: interning, research, leadership / community service. I’ll be starting a 3 year pass/fail block scheduled program myself and a handful of students of each graduating class always land a residency.

Not impossible, just require a little more hussle.

Reactions: 1 user
What is a Pass/Fail system, does that mean there's no grades? Like high school gym class??

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless something changes, then a pass/fail programs may significantly hinder your ability to get residency interviews. I have heard RPD's say that they won't interview Pass/Fail students. I know our algorithm relies on a GPA to function so we would have no way of putting you on even footing to compare you to other candidates. That might not matter to some programs but here I am not sure what we would assume. It wouldn't be fair to assume you have a 4.0. We could assign you 0 points for GPA but that might disadvantage you against other students. We couldn't effectively screen you out for low GPA. We would thus need to assume all Pass/Fail students had good GPA's or none of them did. I feel like lots of programs will go with the None option.

What is a Pass/Fail system, does that mean there's no grades? Like high school gym class??

Essentially.

For example, you may be required to get a 90% or above on every exam. If you don’t, you get one more shot within a couple days. If still nothing, you repeat the year or permanently dismissed. At least that’s how the program I’ll be starting works. High burn-out rate with it being a 36 month program. All for just a transcript that says “Passed.”

Of course, I’d rather graduate in 3 yrs instead of 4 with no student debt. For anyone else I wouldn’t recommend it.

Unless something changes, then a pass/fail programs may significantly hinder your ability to get residency interviews. I have heard RPD's say that they won't interview Pass/Fail students. I know our algorithm relies on a GPA to function so we would have no way of putting you on even footing to compare you to other candidates. That might not matter to some programs but here I am not sure what we would assume. It wouldn't be fair to assume you have a 4.0. We could assign you 0 points for GPA but that might disadvantage you against other students. We couldn't effectively screen you out for low GPA. We would thus need to assume all Pass/Fail students had good GPA's or none of them did. I feel like lots of programs will go with the None option.

Would this be the case with most other programs?

Would this be the case with most other programs?
Probably. Most programs I know of use GPA somewhere in their calculation for who gets offered an interview. No idea what the weighting is on that because we don't share rubrics. Most also have a minimum GPA. What to do about pass/fail schools has been a discussion since it started and I know a few programs that have just decided it isn't worth it until more info about these programs can be had.