PA'S in Surgury

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kent100s78

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3 quick questions. I am 24 yo a bit old but do desire to get into medicine. i am attending Touro college in Brooklyn, NY to fulfill my prereq. classes and plan to attend touro PA program, is anyone here familiar with there program? is it well reconized?

And also i would love to specialize in surgury but i am a bit confused on a PA role in surgury. what is that they do? do they accually perforn surgury or they just assist like a NP.

Finally can you specalize in anastesiology?(how ever you spell it ):confused: I know im asking alot but these questions will really shed some light for me and i do deeply appreciate any help i can get guys, so thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If there is an area of medicine that has a physician practicing in it-there likely is-or certainly could be a PA working in it as well...

24 isn't too old to pursue a career in medicine...

PAs practice in surgery...doing a variety of things including but certainly not limited to preoperative evaluation, seeing patients in clinic, first assisting in surgery, postoperative inpatient management, and follow up care....all depends on the PA and the surgeon and what each is comfortable with and with the PAs competency.

Reccomend some time spent doing a search of the internet-www.aapa.org would be a good place to start...

From my own personal research I have found Touro University to have a good PA program. I esp. like their program because you can get your Masters in public health at the same time. I will also be applying there for entrance this next fall.