Part-time residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runnersfeet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anybody out there heard of part-time residency programs...or sharing a residency with another so as to work part-time? Just curious if thats a possibility for the women who also want a family.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anybody out there heard of part-time residency programs...or sharing a residency with another so as to work part-time? Just curious if thats a possibility for the women who also want a family.

I'm not so sure as to what you mean by sharing residencies or working part-time because you can't work as a podiatrist without completing residency training (2 or 3 year models now). However, regarding the issue for women who want to raise families - i'm sure there are less demanding programs (typically 2 years) with more reasonable hours compared to the heavier or high volume programs out there. I recommend that you speak to your office of residency placement and tell them what you're seeking in a program - because not all programs are the same and there are programs that allow for reasonable hours.

I personally know a few women in our class who share your concern so its definitely something that can be accomodated for.

I had just heard from some MDs that there was such thing as sharing a residency between 2 people - so, half the time per day/week and half the pay, but double the amount of years. I know that is rare, but just curious about such a thing in the pod world. I am just looking into various options, thanks for the info. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had just heard from some MDs that there was such thing as sharing a residency between 2 people - so, half the time per day/week and half the pay, but double the amount of years. I know that is rare, but just curious about such a thing in the pod world. I am just looking into various options, thanks for the info. :)

To my knowledge, it does not exist.

Are you kidding? You have two main choices:

1. You want to be a doctor.

2. You don't want to be a doctor.