Part One Anatomic Science

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foxydentist

Implant Queen
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I thought of arranging the forum a bit by making a thread for each section for NBDE part one.... so if any body got any questions or need help in or got new useful information wana share in Anatomic Science writes here......... :) hope that would make it easy for everybody planning to take part one soon .. (like me :oops: )

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering is it enough to study from Kaplan Review Book ? Or do I have to check Atlas like Grants?
Also Im wondering.... is Anatomic Science section easy or difficult? Hope everybody who took the exam feed me back with the difficult sections in Anatomic Science....... Thanks :)

Hello everyone,, I think looking at any picture would be extremely helpful, I think that u just need to look at the pictures of the Atlas,,,,,, I have a question myself...:D I am alittlebit confused about the efferent and afferent pathways of the cerebellum, can anybody give us any idea about this subject in a simplified way? thanks a million :)

Hello everyone,, I think looking at any picture would be extremely helpful, I think that u just need to look at the pictures of the Atlas,,,,,, I have a question myself...:D I am alittlebit confused about the efferent and afferent pathways of the cerebellum, can anybody give us any idea about this subject in a simplified way? thanks a million :)

do you mean efferent and afferent of only cerebellum?

Members don't see this ad :)
Inputs:
Spinocerebellar Pathway: Spinal cord to cerebellum. ( ipsilateral)This pathway receives inputs from cutaneous receptors, golgi tendon organs and muscle stretch receptors.
Corticopontocerebellar Pathway: Cortex -Pontine - cerebellum (contraletral)
Cerebo-olivocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- both the ipsilateral and contralateral inferior olivary nuclei-->cerebellum
Cerebroreticulocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- Reticular nuclues- cerebellum
Vestibulocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- vestibular nuclues- the fibres enter the cerebellum ( ipsilateral )
Outputs
Dentatothalamic Pathway: Cerebellum- dentate nucleus- thalamus. They further project to the motor cortex via the internal capsule. They also influence neurones of the corticospinal tract (Descending tract).
Break the words and that will explain the organs in the pathway....I hope I was simple.....

Inputs:
Spinocerebellar Pathway: Spinal cord to cerebellum. ( ipsilateral)This pathway receives inputs from cutaneous receptors, golgi tendon organs and muscle stretch receptors.
Corticopontocerebellar Pathway: Cortex -Pontine - cerebellum (contraletral)
Cerebo-olivocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- both the ipsilateral and contralateral inferior olivary nuclei-->cerebellum
Cerebroreticulocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- Reticular nuclues- cerebellum
Vestibulocerebellar Pathway: Cortex- vestibular nuclues- the fibres enter the cerebellum ( ipsilateral )
Outputs
Dentatothalamic Pathway: Cerebellum- dentate nucleus- thalamus. They further project to the motor cortex via the internal capsule. They also influence neurones of the corticospinal tract (Descending tract).
Break the words and that will explain the organs in the pathway....I hope I was simple.....

:thumbup: :love: thanks.......that was clear for me, I do not know @ the person who asked this:p

I have confusion is location of mandibular formanen.
the answer in previous papers say that location of mand formanen is above occlusal plane. In dental decks it shows mand form is at or below occ plane.
I checked in book it says the same as in previous papers.

yaaaa i have the same prob and im using a real skull to aid my reivison and it clearly looks like its ABOVE....

DEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSS whyyy must u confuse me!?

ALSO, Spinal Accesory nerve.......exits thru foramen magnum or the jugular foramen?? I thought it was the foramen magnum, decks says jugular foramen.

I had the same confusion . Then i checked the course of acessory nerve. The 11th nerve arises from segments of spinal cord and enters the cranium through foramen magnum and exits through jugular foramen to have extracranial course.
yaaaa i have the same prob and im using a real skull to aid my reivison and it clearly looks like its ABOVE....

DEEEEEEEECKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSS whyyy must u confuse me!?

ALSO, Spinal Accesory nerve.......exits thru foramen magnum or the jugular foramen?? I thought it was the foramen magnum, decks says jugular foramen.

pls answer this question

Each of the following is wrapped in investing layer of deep cervical fascia except one.which is that ?
1.trapezius
2.sternothyroid
3.ant scalene
4.sternocleidomastoid
5.inf belly of omohyoid

thanx

pls answer this question

Each of the following is wrapped in investing layer of deep cervical fascia except one.which is that ?
1.trapezius
2.sternothyroid
3.ant scalene
4.sternocleidomastoid
5.inf belly of omohyoid

thanx
trapezius and sternocleidomastoid

Members don't see this ad :)
Swetha,
How did u get scm and trapezius. The book says that the investing layer encloses SCM and trapezius.
I am confused??????
trapezius and sternocleidomastoid

pls answer this question

1.trapezius
2.sternothyroid
3.ant scalene
4.sternocleidomastoid
5.inf belly of omohyoid

thanx

Ant. scalene should be the answer. It lies within the prevertebral fascia. All the other structures are adjacent or within the investing layer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

hi there...even i think its ant scalene.
can someone hlep me out with these;
1. which part of the nephron consumes most ATP..pct and dct both consume atp ....so which one consumes the most...i think its pct but not sure
2. primary swallowing ...is it a reflex(invol) or is it a voluntary process.
thanks!

Even I thought the answer to be scl anterior.
1. I think ATP consumption will be more in PCT. Maximum reabsorbtion takes place in PCT so it will consume more atp for active process.( I might be wrong )
2. swallowing is divided into 4 stages:
1. Oral preparation
2. Oral
3. Pharyngeal
4. Esophageal
The first two stages are under voluntary control (innervated by 9th and 10th nerve) , whereas the second two stages are involuntary (by vagus and splanic nerves).
So the answer should be voluntary.
hi there...even i think its ant scalene.
can someone hlep me out with these;
1. which part of the nephron consumes most ATP..pct and dct both consume atp ....so which one consumes the most...i think its pct but not sure
2. primary swallowing ...is it a reflex(invol) or is it a voluntary process.
thanks!

1. Each of the following muscles is a primary elevator of the mandible EXCEPT one. Which one?
B. Mylohyoid: depress the mandible
E. Lateral pterygoid: protrude or laterally moves (down, forward and medial) the mandible
Which one is more wrong? B?

14. The left recurrent laryngeal nerve passes beneath the
A. left main bronchus
B. ligamentum arteriosum
C. left subclavian artery
D. left brachiocephalic vein
E. left superior intercostal vein
I know it's right behind the aorta, but what else is close to it? Thanks.

Both of them depresses mandible :confused:

Left recurrent laryngeal nerve passes beneath ligamentum arteriosum. ( try to imagine the picture of vessels around heart).Thats how I figured out.:)
1. Each of the following muscles is a primary elevator of the mandible EXCEPT one. Which one?
B. Mylohyoid: depress the mandible
E. Lateral pterygoid: protrude or laterally moves (down, forward and medial) the mandible
Which one is more wrong? B?

14. The left recurrent laryngeal nerve passes beneath the
A. left main bronchus
B. ligamentum arteriosum
C. left subclavian artery
D. left brachiocephalic vein
E. left superior intercostal vein
I know it's right behind the aorta, but what else is close to it? Thanks.

Thank you for the reply. Got couple more questions to ask.

47. The nerves of the anterior abdominal wall lie immediately deep to which layer of the wall?
A. External oblique muscle
B. Internal oblique muscle
C. Transversus abdominis
D. Transversalis fascia
E. Peritoneum
B?

64. Touch receptors are MOST numerous per unit area in the mucosa of which of the following?
A. Uvula
B. Hard Palate
C. Attached gingival
D. Tip of the tongue
E. Buccal/labial vestibule
E?

82. Enamel rods converge as they pass from the DEJ towards the surface in the area of the
A. cervical line of permanent teeth
B. cervical line of primary teeth
C. incisal edges
D. fissures
A?

88. An outer fibrous coat and an inner osteogenic cellular layer are found in the
A. endosteum
B. periosteum
C. osteons canals
D. Volkmann’s canals
I have no clue on this one.

Thank you.

47 B Internal oblique. All I know is nerves to the abdominal nerves pass in close proximity to internal oblique muscle (dont know the name of nerves)
64 C I was thinking tip of tongue. ( I am not sure)
88 B Periosteum has a fibrous coat outside.
Correct me if I am wrong
Thank you for the reply. Got couple more questions to ask.

47. The nerves of the anterior abdominal wall lie immediately deep to which layer of the wall?
A. External oblique muscle
B. Internal oblique muscle
C. Transversus abdominis
D. Transversalis fascia
E. Peritoneum
B?

64. Touch receptors are MOST numerous per unit area in the mucosa of which of the following?
A. Uvula
B. Hard Palate
C. Attached gingival
D. Tip of the tongue
E. Buccal/labial vestibule
E?

82. Enamel rods converge as they pass from the DEJ towards the surface in the area of the
A. cervical line of permanent teeth
B. cervical line of primary teeth
C. incisal edges
D. fissures
A?

88. An outer fibrous coat and an inner osteogenic cellular layer are found in the
A. endosteum
B. periosteum
C. osteons canals
D. Volkmann's canals
I have no clue on this one.

Thank you.

so can we conclude that "ant.scalene "muscle is not enclosed by deep cervical fascia ?
thnx for the answers.

now,
Which of the following fontanelles is located at the junction between the squamosal sutures and the lambdoidal sutures

a. Anterior fontanelle
b. Mastoid fontanelle
c. Posterior fontanelle
d. Sphenoid fontanelle
e. There are no fontanelles located between these sutures

where is squamosal suture? i know only coronal,sagittal,lambdoid..

pls answer..thnx

even i am hearing for the first time about squamousal suture, any ways if it is present has to be b/w squamous part of temporal bone and parietal or occipital bone and the fontenelle has to be mastoid or posterior fontenelle not sure at all .....do correct

There are more sutures in skull then just coronal, sagittal and lamboid sutures.
Squamous sutures will be between squamous part of temporal bone and another bone . Remember temporal bone has squamous part, mastoid part and acoustic meatus.
I think the answer should be B
so can we conclude that "ant.scalene "muscle is not enclosed by deep cervical fascia ?
thnx for the answers.

now,
Which of the following fontanelles is located at the junction between the squamosal sutures and the lambdoidal sutures

a. Anterior fontanelle
b. Mastoid fontanelle
c. Posterior fontanelle
d. Sphenoid fontanelle
e. There are no fontanelles located between these sutures

where is squamosal suture? i know only coronal,sagittal,lambdoid..

pls answer..thnx

thnx ruchig..
here a few more,

1. The dorsal scapular nerves innervates which of the following muscles
a. Pectoralis minor
b. Pectoralis major
c. Serratus anterior
d. Subclavian
e. Trapezius

2. Sensory nerve cells, post ganglionic fibers and parasympathetic ganlia can be found in the

a. Lamina propria
b. Muscularis externa
c. Muscularis mucosae
d. Serosa
e. Submucosa

does the Q imply GI Tract or ??

thnx.

dorsal scapular innervtes rhomboid major and minor.
pectoras major and minor are supplied by pectoral neves
serratus is supplied by long thoracic
trapezius by accessory. It can't be subclavian. I can't think of any of these choices. Any body knows the answer?
thnx ruchig..
here a few more,

a. Pectoralis minor
b. Pectoralis major
c. Serratus anterior
d. Subclavian
e. Trapezius

2. Sensory nerve cells, post ganglionic fibers and parasympathetic ganlia can be found in the

a. Lamina propria
b. Muscularis externa
c. Muscularis mucosae
d. Serosa
e. Submucosa

thnx.

Can anybody explain them
Which of the following muscles participate in gleno humeral and humero ulnar joints
1 triceps
2 biceps (ans)
3 deltoid
4 brachialis
5 corabrachoalis
I am thinking answer to be 1 as triceps run from glenoid fossa to oleconeon fossa.
Cells that form vertebrea have there origin from
1 notocord
2 neural arch
3 dermamyotones
4 two pirs of somites
5 intermediate mesodermal plate

Which cells most likely to engage in mitosis
1 osteocyte
2 macrophage
3 plasma cells
4 chondrocyte
5 basal keratinicyte
Jaw jerk reflex is?
1 withdrawl
2 load
3 flexor
4 dynamic stretch.
Any explanation how ans is 4?

thnx ruchig..
here a few more,

a. Pectoralis minor
b. Pectoralis major
c. Serratus anterior
d. Subclavian
e. Trapezius

a. Lamina propria
b. Muscularis externa
c. Muscularis mucosae
d. Serosa
e. Submucosa

thnx.
Well, it seems like it's about GI tract, because those are the layer that composed the GI,, this is what I found "the submucosa is a layer of dense connective tissue that surrounds the muscularis mucosa. Along the outer margin of the submucosa is the submucosal plexus , this layer contains sensory neurons as well as both sympathetic and parasympathetic neurons" .......that makes me think that E is the answer

Which cells most likely to engage in mitosis
1 osteocyte
2 macrophage
3 plasma cells
4 chondrocyte
5 basal keratinicyte

Ans. 5 basal keratinocytes because these cells are continously proliferating in order to replace the desquamating upper keratinocytes.

Hi guys

I would appreciate if some can help me in answering these questions

1) adipose tissue is found in the submucosa of the palate in the
a) rugae
b) incisive papilla
c) midline at the level of the molars
d) lateral area at the level of the premolars
e) lateral area at the level of the molars

2) pain fibres in the glossopharyngeal nerve synapse in the
a)nucleus ambigius
b)nucleus solitarius
c)hypoglossal nucleus
d)superior ganglion of craial nerve 9
e)spinal nuleus of the trigeminal nerve

3) neural crest cells give rise to which of the following
a)cells of renal medulla
b)cells of adrenal cortex
c)preganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
d)postganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
e)preganglionic parasympathetic cell bodies

Hi guys

I would appreciate if some can help me in answering these questions

1) adipose tissue is found in the submucosa of the palate in the
a) rugae
b) incisive papilla
c) midline at the level of the molars
d) lateral area at the level of the premolars
e) lateral area at the level of the molars

2) pain fibres in the glossopharyngeal nerve synapse in the
a)nucleus ambigius
b)nucleus solitarius
c)hypoglossal nucleus
d)superior ganglion of craial nerve 9
e)spinal nuleus of the trigeminal nerve

3) neural crest cells give rise to which of the following
a)cells of renal medulla
b)cells of adrenal cortex
c)preganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
d)postganglionic sympathetic cell bodies
e)preganglionic parasympathetic cell bodies
1. c (?)
2. d(?)
3. c(?)

Sorry, I am so unsure.........everything seems confusing :)

Ct

hi
the answer to adipose tissue in HAREDPALATE------antero lateral region of hard palate.
and the 3. it is adrenal medulla cells.

1 e
2 d
3 a

Q: pain fibres in the glossopharyngeal nerve synapse in

a--superior ganglion of cn 9 or b-- spinal nucleus of trigeminal nerve???

i m retaking nbde 1...
i have some questions which i remmember from my previous test but still couldn't get answers for them...so pls help with them...
1. wat causes protraction of mandible??
a. sup head of lat pterygoid
b. inf head of lat pterygoid
c. temporalis
d. medial pterygoid

rest are posted acc to subjects...

also pls tell the explanations

hey reni

the answer is Temporalis (posterior fibre of temporalis) muscle

{anterior fibre of temporalis helps to close the mouth / elevate the mandible}

Q1:IN ERYTHROPOISIS WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING INCREASES FROM PROERYTHROBLAST TO MATURE ERYTHROCYTE?

A)CELL SIZE
B)PHAGOCYTIC ABILITY
C)CYTOPLASMIC ACIDOPHILIA
D)CYTOPLASMIC BASOPHILIA

Q2:IF YOU DAMAGE CORACOID PROCESS WHICH MUSCLES R DAMAGED??

Q3:WHAT KIND OF EPI. IS FOUND IN MAX. SINUS??

Q4:WHAT KIND OF COLLAGEN DO U FIND IN DENTINE??

Qs. 1) C; cytoplasmic acidophilia ; proerythrobalst is basophilic and mature erythrocyte is acidophilic

Qs 2) choracobrachialis and short head of biceps ; as coracoid process serves to anchor these muscles

Qs 3) ciliated psudostratified columnar epith also called as Respiratory epith

Qs 4) Type I

Rashmi

hey reni

the answer is Temporalis (posterior fibre of temporalis) muscle

{anterior fibre of temporalis helps to close the mouth / elevate the mandible}

Q1:IN ERYTHROPOISIS WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING INCREASES FROM PROERYTHROBLAST TO MATURE ERYTHROCYTE?

A)CELL SIZE
B)PHAGOCYTIC ABILITY
C)CYTOPLASMIC ACIDOPHILIA
D)CYTOPLASMIC BASOPHILIA

Q2:IF YOU DAMAGE CORACOID PROCESS WHICH MUSCLES R DAMAGED??

Q3:WHAT KIND OF EPI. IS FOUND IN MAX. SINUS??

Q4:WHAT KIND OF COLLAGEN DO U FIND IN DENTINE??

thanks
one more

Q:WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STRUCTURES CONTAINS BOTH ASCENDING AND DESCENDING FIBRES TO/FROM CEREBRAL CORTEX?
A)VENTRAL PONS
B)PYRAMIDAL TRACT
C)MEDIAL LEMNISCUS
D)INTERNAL CAPSULE
E)MEDIAL FOREBRAIN BUNDLE

Q: DIFFERENCE B/W CILIA AND STERIOCILIA??

hi
ans to 1. may b ventral pons as it is a part of brain stem and brain stem contains both tarcts to and from the cortex . [ u can refer 2 decks - nervous sys fr this.]
2. cilia propel the contents from cell by beating in a rhythmic fashion. whereas sereocilia do not beat and have nutritive and supportive funcyion in male reproductive tract.
correct me if i am wrong.

i m retaking nbde 1...
i have some questions which i remmember from my previous test but still couldn't get answers for them...so pls help with them...
1. wat causes protraction of mandible??
a. sup head of lat pterygoid
b. inf head of lat pterygoid
c. temporalis
d. medial pterygoid

rest are posted acc to subjects...

also pls tell the explanations

hi reni
the ans to ur q is inferior head of lateral pterygoid.
both rt and lt inf bellies of lat . pterygoid when cotract--------protraction. if only one inf belly contracts lateral movement of mandible. so i think u got my point. post fibers of temporalis retrude the mandible not protrude it.

thanks for the reply and also thanks for the correction

The ans to this qs is D -- Internal Capsule

thanks
one more

Q:WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING STRUCTURES CONTAINS BOTH ASCENDING AND DESCENDING FIBRES TO/FROM CEREBRAL CORTEX?
A)VENTRAL PONS
B)PYRAMIDAL TRACT
C)MEDIAL LEMNISCUS
D)INTERNAL CAPSULE
E)MEDIAL FOREBRAIN BUNDLE

Q: DIFFERENCE B/W CILIA AND STERIOCILIA??

just last 2 for today

Q:WHICH BONE FORM THE NOSE??
Q:WHAT TYPE OF TISSUE R FOUND IN PULP??

THANKS ALOT FOR EVERYONE

just last 2 for today

Q:WHICH BONE FORM THE NOSE??
Q:WHAT TYPE OF TISSUE R FOUND IN PULP??

THANKS ALOT FOR EVERYONE

hi
1. its very vague? which part of nose u mean there r many bones involved right?
2. loose connective tissue.

Sure ---

The Internal Capsule

The internal capsule lies between the lenticular and caudate nuclei. It is a group of myelinated ascending and descending fiber tracts including the pyramidal tract that connect the cortex to other parts of the central nervous system. It begins as a corona radiata (radiating crown) from motor cells in the premotor, primary motor, and primary sensory areas of the cortex and converges into the internal capsule. The capsule itself ends within the cerebrum, but the axons that pass through it continue down to the brain stem, and spinal cord.

Because so many axons join together to pass through this area, the internal capsule is sometimes referred to as a bottleneck of fibers.

Despite its close proximity to the caudate nucleus and lenticular nucleus, the internal capsule is not part of the basal ganglia.

The internal capsule and the basal ganglia are collectively referred to as the corpus striatum.

could u pl explain ur answer?