Part 1 in Aug

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my exam in Aug first week. I have done NBD First Aid once and refered Kaplan in b/w..As of now my biggest problem is Micro, biochem..can't seem to remember it enough :eek: now doing decks.. and will do past papers afterwards..

Any suggestions?? Anyone taking exam during Aug ??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi typohodont..
your week is here.. i wish you good luck and do post your experince abt the exm..do well..

Another week and half for me..revising decks and solving papers.. how r u guys doing..any suggestions for last 10 days??

Hey, I am taking my boards Aug. 3rd!! YIKES!! Well, i was wondering if anyone had the release boards from 1998 and up? I wanted to see if they look similar to the 1975-1996... If you do have one could you e-mail me.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey typhodont, hw ws ur exm?? hope u did well
and wht r others upto..i m one week away !!!!!

First of all I have to say I envy you all for having time to study. I'm currently in a residency but I need to pass before I can move on to next year. seeing 10 patients a day then studying for part one starting at 6 pm sucks :(

Dr37 I think the last week you should have a list of the areas you're weakest in and review them and just solve as many questions as possible. The night before your exam stop studying in the afternoon and do something relaxing, GL.

I'm taking my exam 2nd week of aug and I have a question... is it true that your grade can be affected by what time of year you take the exam? I heard that during summer break the "mean" goes up and it gets harder to pass, is it true?

Hi dr.37, I jus wana know how many past papers u hv done .r u doing papers as old as 85 or just the new ones.wat about unreleased exams.actually I'm confused wat to do n wat not?time is short,don't wana reschedule my exam.

Hello guys..

@neen : yeah i knw how tough it is to study while working.. i was working too, just took off 2 weeks back..and i dnt knw if it matters tht whom u r taking exm with..even if it does, ther's no way of knowin who the other test takers are..

@smile : i do have all the papers starting way back in 70's.. i am doing whichever i get my hands on though.. though i feel the pattren of asking ques is different, still i feel, every paper is paper.. using them to get in the habit of solving questions.. also i will suggest do whtever source u get comfortable from..i am revising first aid..and solving ques..

exactly a week after, at this time, i will be done .. getting butterflies.. God knows how i will be feeling at this time, a week later....gosh....its a long journey to be a dentist....

God bless us all....

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I'm a 4th year at Penn Dental, and i took the part 1 last summer and did exceptionally well. i thought the most useful tool (after reviewing first aid and decks) was the old exams that are printed into booklets and can be ordered from the ASDA online store. I bought the more recent ones (only 1997 and onward) to avoid wasting time with lots of repeats and really old materials, which also tend to contain more errors. I'm talking about packets I-J, I-K, I-L, and I-M. Ordering it through ASDA may cost you $178 (that's how much it cost me), but they are definitely a great resource. If anyone would like to buy a "like new" version from me, let me know, and we can negotiate a price. I purposely kept my completely free of markings of any kind, so that the next person can also use them the way I did, which is to try to take them as if they were real exams (i.e. time yourself, only allow for the allotted break, etc.)

Hello guys..

@neen : yeah i knw how tough it is to study while working.. i was working too, just took off 2 weeks back..and i dnt knw if it matters tht whom u r taking exm with..even if it does, ther's no way of knowin who the other test takers are..

@smile : i do have all the papers starting way back in 70's.. i am doing whichever i get my hands on though.. though i feel the pattren of asking ques is different, still i feel, every paper is paper.. using them to get in the habit of solving questions.. also i will suggest do whtever source u get comfortable from..i am revising first aid..and solving ques..

exactly a week after, at this time, i will be done .. getting butterflies.. God knows how i will be feeling at this time, a week later....gosh....its a long journey to be a dentist....

God bless us all....

Best luck to you all for your exam.

hey guys,

I m done with my boards yesterday...o god..i m so relieved..just felt like sharing...it was not very difficult but at the same time not easy too...know the basics well...whatever u studied in dental school matters a lot..keep ur head cool and there were not so many repeats and if so they were like indirect questions..they test ur basics..very specific..

so..thats it best wishes for all:thumbup:

Hey, congrats on being done!

I am taking mine in a few weeks and I just only now finished doing the decks once...

How were you scoring on practice exam questions? Just curious.

Also do you think it would be enough to pass with the decks, and doing old questions?
hey guys,

I m done with my boards yesterday...o god..i m so relieved..just felt like sharing...it was not very difficult but at the same time not easy too...know the basics well...whatever u studied in dental school matters a lot..keep ur head cool and there were not so many repeats and if so they were like indirect questions..they test ur basics..very specific..

so..thats it best wishes for all:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey smile design.congrats.u must b feeling relieved.all the best for ur results.enjoy urself

i also gave my exm 10 days back (sorry couldn't post earlier as im away from my city n hv little access to internet).. it was ok..moderatly hard i would say..biochem was tough, exam was nerve wrecking, some repeats were there, but more than that you had to really think and arrive at the answer.. very close answer options. lets see how i did.. :xf:

Hi dr.37.congrats on being done.good luck for the results.can u pls tell us about the testlets part.n about biochem ,micro in detail.I hv my exam in two weeks.pls guide me how to utilize these days.I'm revising decks.jus started past papers.do u think old papers like of 85, 89 are also important.

hi dr 37 and smile.....

i also give my exam on aug 11...waitng for result...hows ur xam went..
i thnk xam was very basic very basic questions are asked very frequently...

Hi dr.37.congrats on being done.good luck for the results.can u pls tell us about the testlets part.n about biochem ,micro in detail.I hv my exam in two weeks.pls guide me how to utilize these days.I'm revising decks.jus started past papers.do u think old papers like of 85, 89 are also important.

Hi there, revising is the key..revise all what u studied, dnt study anything new.. for papers, if you have time, do them..if u can't, its Ok,, key is not to stress urself..revise the buzz words

i dnt knw how i did, so i dnt knw this will work or not..but this is what i did..

good luck with ur test..

hi all.im done with my exam today.i think it was tough,at least for me.anyway,lets see wat happens.hey dr.37 and others,u ppl hv got ur scores or not yet....

got score today..83..so sad..will retake it..
did first aid and decks and papers (my mistake dint do each and every paper)
refered kaplan in b/w..
i am feeling bad..i mean i did study but obviously, it was nt enough..

any suggestions, wht to do or not to do this time..good luck to all those who are waiting for their scores

got score today..83..so sad..will retake it..
did first aid and decks and papers (my mistake dint do each and every paper)
refered kaplan in b/w..
i am feeling bad..i mean i did study but obviously, it was nt enough..

any suggestions, wht to do or not to do this time..good luck to all those who are waiting for their scores
d37 i know how you feel trust me....honestly all i can say is that stop pondering over it too much and plan ahead look at the bright side we can still give it before 2010....moreover i feel the earlier we retake it the better....i am planning to start studying in a day or two if you are interested in discussing a study plan pm me......
p.s. i followed kaplan, decks and old papers...but i have added first aid to my new list as i see a lot of people recommending it....i ordered it online...hopefully should get it soon.
progress.gif