parents info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoosierDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
just out of curiosity...why are we including our parents info in the fafsa...arent most medical students considered independant? Obviously my folks are not planning on chipping in any money towards my medical school education...no problem...but why do we need to include their info...from my basic, and i mean basic understanding it is only for subsidized loans right? I know that there is no way I will qualify for subsidized loans...so can i just use my info and go with it? I hate to sound totally ignorant about this...but i am! thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Providing my parents info benefited me because my parents were financially far below average, so giving my parents info qualified me for "free" money (grants/need scholarships) that I did not have to pay back.

I know it's a pain in the ass and it can be especially unfair to those with wealthy parents who are estranged.

But you're right: most medical students (if not all of them) qualify as independent. On your FAFSA, there are 5-7 questions that establish you as dependent or independent.

mike