FAFSA question - Having parents with decent income

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SideShade

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm currently applying for DPM school(2018).
My parents make decent income, and helped me pay for my undergrad tuition (I pretty much didn't get any benefit from FAFSA)

But I'm leaving home and they will be cutting me off completely, as in tuition/living expenses/insurances/everything.

When I apply for FAFSA 2018-2019, will I be screwed over cause of their income?

I'm pretty much going to be dependent on my girlfriend, who makes just enough to keep us two alive.

Members don't see this ad.

I really wouldn't want to disappoint you, but I have a few friends who had a situation like this and they didn't get their fee. The systems works that way, that when you study somebody has to cover your expenses. Although there's always a slight chance that you may get a merit based scholarship or something liek this. I once used an original site to help me with my cvoer letter, and it was very well accepted by the admission committee.

It is my understanding that when you apply to professional schools, you no longer have to record your parents income on your FAFSA. You're considered independent financially after undergrad.

If you're looking for proof: Dependency Status

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I really wouldn't want to disappoint you, but I have a few friends who had a situation like this and they didn't get their fee. The systems works that way, that when you study somebody has to cover your expenses. Although there's always a slight chance that you may get a merit based scholarship or something liek this. I once used an original site to help me with my cvoer letter, and it was very well accepted by the admission committee.
Honestly, I don't have any idea what the second part of your post has to do with OP.

Regardless, that may be true for undergraduate degrees, but professional schools (such as DPM) work differently.

Graduate/professional students don't have to report parental income on FAFSA. However, if your school offers aid, you may have to submit parent tax returns to be considered for some of those if they're need-based. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with what akinetopsia says. Usually it's private schools will ask you to submit your parent's tax returns as well to be eligible for any institutional grants, scholarships, or loans.

Reactions: 1 user