Para/Sympathetic Nervous Sys question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

osumc2014

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me which neurotransmitter is involved with which? It's kind of confusing with the acetylcholine, epinephrine and norepinephrine and adrenaline. I just cant get them straight. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

well I think it would help if you didn't say "...epinephrine...and adrenaline" in the same sentence. That alone will start to clear some things up.

EDIT: I'm sorry--I should clarify that these two neurotransmitters/hormones are synonyms of each other.

Can someone tell me which neurotransmitter is involved with which? It's kind of confusing with the acetylcholine, epinephrine and norepinephrine and adrenaline. I just cant get them straight. Thanks!

Parasympathetic
ACh
Sympathetic
ACh
Norepi (centrally and peripherally)
Epi (primarily peripherally, but some central as well)

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Ach was only involved in the parasympathetic NS. What does it do in the sympathetic?

Epi and norepi are both sympathetic. Epi and adrenaline are the same thing.

I thought Ach was only involved in the parasympathetic NS. What does it do in the sympathetic?

do you remember the sympathetic trunk ganglion?
...the pre-ganglionic neuron and post-ganglionic neurons?

EDIT: Sorry osumc2014, had to move your discussion topic to a forum where it's more appropriate.

do you remember the sympathetic trunk ganglion?
...the pre-ganglionic neuron and post-ganglionic neurons?

Signaling%20in%20sympathetic%20and%20parasympathetic%20systems.jpg

Not to confuse you further, but ACh is also a nt for some postganglionic sympathetic fibers, such as the sudomotor neurons to sweat glands

In addition to ACh having activity at the synaptic junction, it also causes Piloerection when the sympathetic system is activated... It also has one more function, but I cannot recall it at this moment.

every pre ganglionic involvement with both sympathetic and parasympathetic are controlled by Acth. But post ganglionic involvement of sympathetic is innervated by epinephrine where as the parasypathetic post ganglionic is innervated by acetycholine. Think of post ganglionic as effector, which is true, epineprine helps to activae sympathetic functions at the effector or post ganglionic ( Increase heart rate, blood pressure, shunting of blod away from the digestive organs and increase blood flow to the big muscles,e.t.c)

I think Chocolate bear diagram should help

adrenaline, norepineprine , epinephrine ----are all catcheloamines, they do the same function, dont let the names intimidate you, some just acts as neurotransmitters