palace chase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

afdoc77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my last year residency (anesthesia), finishing July 2012. Residency has been deferred. I am also deferred for my 1 year fellowship, which will finish July 2013. I then have 2 years of active duty payback to the Air Force.

Has anyone heard of being able to convert those active duty years to reserve time through palace chase? If so, how do you go about it?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in my last year residency (anesthesia), finishing July 2012. Residency has been deferred. I am also deferred for my 1 year fellowship, which will finish July 2013. I then have 2 years of active duty payback to the Air Force.

Has anyone heard of being able to convert those active duty years to reserve time through palace chase? If so, how do you go about it?

thanks.

I've been in almost 10 years now...and I had to look this up. Is this Air Force specific? More power to you if you can accomplish this, however, I've never seen it happen before.

Were you a prior GMO...is that why you only owe 2 years?

thanks.
Now there is a trip in the "way-back-machine"! I remember back in the mid '90s when the USAF was downsizing, I had a couple of friends take this program. I think you come off active duty early then spend a certain amount of time in the reserve. Given your extensive level of training, however, I doubt that the USAF would let you go very easily. But you never know! Check with your nearest MPF would be my advice...

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in somewhere between 10-20 years and despite inquiring myself and seeing others attempt it over the years, I have NEVER seen or heard of them letting any docs do it, even in a specialty that is significantly overmanned and doesn't deploy.

IMG_2062.GIF

Reactions: 1 users
(necro)Bump to see if anyone has seen this happen for a physician in the past 6 years... or ever. Specifically curious about trading 1 yr AD for 3 of ANG.
I have never heard of a physician getting approved for Palace Chase. I know of two who actually applied and were both denied (both EM). Probably because 1)you must serve at least two thirds of your service obligation to apply, 2)your command must release you from active duty, and 3)if the AF covered education expenses in exchange for TIS, you will owe the AF money for those unpaid years. AFI 36-3205 may be of help. Good luck.

3)if the AF covered education expenses in exchange for TIS, you will owe the AF money for those unpaid years. AFI 36-3205 may be of help. Good luck.

1 and 2 were good to go but when I ran across a clause explaining #3 when going through my original contract, that quickly ended the process. Oh well. 12 months left and it could definitely be worse. Just would have been nice to take advantage of a PGY-2 opportunity this summer.