Paid research in NYC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drteeth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So Im posting this on behalf of my girlfriend who is in the transition phase between undergrad and med school. I am moving to NYC probably over the summer, and she wants to move there with me and obtain a paid research position. She has an interest in cancer and has previous research experience in that field and she has a strong GPA with a fairly extensive science background. However, we are having trouble finding a position at a university or other organization that she can obtain a paid research position at. It must be paid due to the expenses of living in NYC... If anyone has ANY advice, suggestions, or recommendations about how she can go about finding a paid research position in NYC it would be GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!!!!

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Since most summer research programs/fellowships have deadlines that have already passed, the best thing to do is to contact PIs directly. If your gf is going to med school in NY then it would be a good idea to contact PIs at that school to see if they have openings for summer students. However, if she isn't going to a school in NY, then contact PIs at all the schools/institutions to land a job.

I'm a M1 and I'm going to be in NYC this summer. I had the problem of trying to find a job several months ago. I e-mailed several dozen PIs and about half had a project they could give me, but only a few had funding. Even for the PIs that offered funding, the stipend would have barely covered rent for one month. In the end, I got one of the fellowships I applied to so it all worked out.

Also, tell your gf not to limit herself to cancer research. While tons of people work on cancer, it would be a good idea to contact people other fields as to maximize the chance of finding a job.

It's kind of late in the game, but I'm sure she can come up with something.

Good luck.

I'm not going to assume anything, so I'll first say academic research is bar-none the most relevant to a career in medicine (anywhere before residency and arguably beyond). So for NYC, that would consist of Columbia/Cornell Weill, NYU/Mt Sinai, Einstein, SUNY Downstate, and don't forget Rockefeller University (very prestigious but not known to most of the general public). For slightly further away, NYMC (Valhalla, NY), SUNY Stony Brook (Long Island), and Sloan Kettering (Long Island and some sites in Manhattan). Chances are there are boatloads of research opportunities at any of these institutions. Make sure to see both the academic websites AND the hospital websites for job listings (eg. Columbia/Cornell - go to NY Presbyterian Hospital website, etc)

If all academic routes have been tapped and nothing comes up (which is unlikely), the pharmaceutical industry is often recruiting college grads to basic science or clinical research positions. Try Pfizer, Forest Labs, and Bristol-Myers Squibb websites. For jobs further out, you can basically try any pharma company - Merck, Schering Plough, Novartis, GlaxoSmithKline. Each of them have a site somewhere near the NY Metro area (mostly New Jersey). These, however, are far less relevant to a career in medicine, so I'd really make sure the towel has been wrung (so to speak) with academic routes.

Good luck.

Any particular kind of Cancer Research? Unless you want to just be a technician, I think it will be very difficult to do any real research in a powerful lab and be paid for it immediately. Often people in your girlfriend's situation will get a scholarship, work in a lab, and maybe be hired to continue the research.

I'm a predoc fellow at Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY and have been here for 3 years. If there is a specific area of interest I'd be happy to put you in contact with some PI's here that I work with. Just email me or something: [email protected]

Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.