Paid research positions after M3?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuckman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of taking a year off to do research after M3. I'm a non-American citizen so I was ineligible to apply to Doris Duke or any of the other programs. I'm wondering, do most people that take a year off to do research have a paid position or is it non-paid?

I've talked to a lot of professors and none of them have funding for a student. Taking a whole year off to do research without pay doesn't feel right to me. Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

- Zuck

Members don't see this ad.

Another option to consider, a masters program where you could still be classified as a full time student and get financial aid but have time to do research. Any programs at your school?

The thing is, a Masters is at least a 2 year commitment. I'm looking for a 1 year commitment. It seems that a lot of med students must be doing this unpaid.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of radiology. I'm not sure though but this is something I'm really interested in. It's very competitive so doing research can really help.

The thing is, a Masters is at least a 2 year commitment. I'm looking for a 1 year commitment. It seems that a lot of med students must be doing this unpaid.

Untrue. There are 1 yr masters. I did one with about 6-8 hours of time in the lab and 2-3 hours of class per day.

I'm thinking of radiology. I'm not sure though but this is something I'm really interested in. It's very competitive so doing research can really help.

Btw, don't do research because you think it will make you more completive. Do it because you enjoy it and want to make that part of your career. Being passionate about research and your project will show through to your mentor and the quality/quantity of work that you accomplish. Doing it for your residency application won't.

It seems that a lot of med students must be doing this unpaid.

I should also note that you might want to find a mentor that has significant funding to help support you if you don't find anything else. If I didn't get into my Doris Duke program, my mentor told me he would support me through his own funding. Do you go to a big research school? If you do, there is always funding for med-students interested in research. Never heard of a Dean that didn't want to support students wanting to do research. Ask around. If you were planning on beginning this upcoming summer, get on it. It takes time to set this all up.

Worst case scenario if you do take a year off and can't get funding, you can still get financial aid. Most schools have a way for you to still count as a student and get aid for living expenses and health insurance without paying tuition (although you usually do pay a nominal $3000 fee or something, which again is financed by loans). Also, many of the short-term grants that MS1s apply for for summer grants can be used by older med students. If you get several of them it will not cover your living expenses of course, but it is something. Finally, many departments hire research assistants, the same kind of job that premeds do in a year off between medical school and college. It's worth asking the radiology department if there are any openings or any funding available for a full or part-time research assistant.