Pacific University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok. Message me your name so I can find you on FB. To start a group I have to invite a friend, and you can be the first one! Others who are accepted just search for Pacific OTD Class 2017. I can't wait to meet all of you!!!
Also just got the acceptance letter yesterday and am wondering a) if a Facebook page has been started and b) who else from the Blue group from the March 8th interview got in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard about financial aid? I've turned in my FAFSA, but haven't heard anything else. Thanks!

Wondering if anybody turned down their acceptance? Inquiring waitlisted minds would love to know... ;)

Has anyone heard about financial aid? I've turned in my FAFSA, but haven't heard anything else. Thanks!

I got my letter from financial aid today! Should be coming in the mail soon if you haven't already heard.

Curious if anyone on the wait list has heard of any progress yet? :)

Hi Everyone!
I was wondering if any current students could provide some feedback about the program. I am to prospective student looking to apply this fall!
Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been informed about interviews for the class of 2018 ?

Rolling admissions always confuses me...does anyone know what the differences between the preferred application deadline and the final application deadline are?

Rolling admissions always confuses me...does anyone know what the differences between the preferred application deadline and the final application deadline are?

Hi alliecatt, I'm currently a student in Pacific's OTD program. I suggest trying to make the preferred deadline, but if you can't make it it's totally fine. I believe it just means that you're application is reviewed first, which in my opinion is helpful. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for clarifying gocougs2013! How do you like the program and what year are you?

I'm a first year, and I love it! I definitely remember being in your shoes, it can be stressful.. Let me know if there's anything I can help with, or if you have any questions!

Thanks! It's awesome that current students are willing to help us out, especially because you guys must be so busy! What made you choose Pacific? What other schools did you apply to? What does a typical week at school look like and how is the workload?

I chose Pacific for a number of reasons. The interview day with a school gives you a feel for what it's like, and I really enjoyed my interview with Pacific. The facilities are only a few years old so it's a beautiful building. It's a little more psychosocial based program which also suited my interests. There are a number of abroad opportunities for students, and I also love the Portland area as well. Lastly, I wanted to do an OTD program. Although it's not required as of now, OT has been following in the steps of PT for awhile in terms of educational requirements, so from the recommendations of some OT's that I spoke with, it's likely to someday be required. Although you would be grandfathered into it, I still wanted to go that route now. There are very few OTD programs in the country (during my interview there was only 10) so I saw it as a more proactive choice. I love it here and I'm very glad I chose it, but there are a number of things to consider in choosing your own program so that it will best suit you as well!

I applied to Eastern Washington, University of Washington, University of Mary, Colorado State, Puget Sound, and Pacific. Although application fees can get pretty pricey, I highly suggest applying to a number of programs so that you have some options! :)

I typically have class from 9-4 or 5 with about a 2 hour lunch break (the days vary quite a bit, but this is pretty average). We also don't have class on Fridays. The workload is manageable, I don't feel overwhelmed by any means but I still feel like I'm gaining the knowledge I need to. It's a lot easier to study things that you're interested in. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for your feedback! It sounds like a great program and a nice fit for you. If you don't mind me asking...are you working part-time during the nights or weekends? If not, do you think it's a possibility? I know some programs discourage working due to the heavy course load.

I don't work, but some of the students do! Our schedule can change so it's difficult to deal with a work schedule around it, and on top of that graduate school is a time consuming thing. It's not impossible, but the weekends are nice to have to catch up, and if you don't have work to do, then to just take a mental break. I don't necessarily discourage it, because it's completely dependent on the person (like I said, some students are working), but for me personally I don't think I could handle it. I like my weekend breaks from class too much!

I don't work, but some of the students do! Our schedule can change so it's difficult to deal with a work schedule around it, and on top of that graduate school is a time consuming thing. It's not impossible, but the weekends are nice to have to catch up, and if you don't have work to do, then to just take a mental break. I don't necessarily discourage it, because it's completely dependent on the person (like I said, some students are working), but for me personally I don't think I could handle it. I like my weekend breaks from class too much!

What were your stats and when did you hear back about your interview with Pacific ?

:)So I emailed Jon-Erik to ask if they received my updated transcript. He told me he's unsure because they are backed up with organizing people's paperwork. However, I should not worry. He informed me that interviews are set for Feb. 7,2015 and March 14,2015. They plan on sending out email invitations around 3 weeks prior to those dates. So cross fingers.

Osillyphilly - what immediately drew you to Pacific?

:)So I emailed Jon-Erik to ask if they received my updated transcript. He told me he's unsure because they are backed up with organizing people's paperwork. However, I should not worry. He informed me that interviews are set for Feb. 7,2015 and March 14,2015. They plan on sending out email invitations around 3 weeks prior to those dates. So cross fingers.

What immediately drew you to Pacific?

Well elise124 I like the idea that it is a hybrid OTD program. 2 years on-campus and 1 year online. Here are some of my other reasons:

-They offer a Healthcare Spanish program that teaches healthcare professional Spanish in order to communicate with the rising population of the Hispanic/Latino community. No other school does that. There are 2 courses to help prepare healthcare professionals.

-Portland,OR looks like a amazing city to live close by too. I am originally from Los Angeles and currently live in NYC. So I'm ready to check out a new city. :D Also cause I miss the west coast!

-I like that they give OT students the opportunity to study abroad and do their fieldwork internationally. They have locations in South America and Asia.

-The school offers more in dept classes about OT. I read the description and compared them to other schools.

- I like the aspect of doing research and learning more about the OT profession through research.

- They also have a Gerontology dual degree program. Something I been thinking about.

- I love their Community Base Program class. Student get to team up with a community organization and help them with a program or develop a program.

That's all I can think of right now. What about you? Did you apply?

Reactions: 1 users
Well elise124 I like the idea that it is a hybrid OTD program. 2 years on-campus and 1 year online. Here are some of my other reasons:

-They offer a Healthcare Spanish program that teaches healthcare professional Spanish in order to communicate with the rising population of the Hispanic/Latino community. No other school does that. There are 2 courses to help prepare healthcare professionals.

-Portland,OR looks like a amazing city to live close by too. I am originally from Los Angeles and currently live in NYC. So I'm ready to check out a new city. :D Also cause I miss the west coast!

-I like that they give OT students the opportunity to study abroad and do their fieldwork internationally. They have locations in South America and Asia.

-The school offers more in dept classes about OT. I read the description and compared them to other schools.

- I like the aspect of doing research and learning more about the OT profession through research.

- They also have a Gerontology dual degree program. Something I been thinking about.

- I love their Community Base Program class. Student get to team up with a community organization and help them with a program or develop a program.

That's all I can think of right now. What about you? Did you apply?
I did! I have been very interested in attending Pacific U since I was in high school.

I too am looking into Gerontology, that was the first thing on their website that caught my attention.

I love that the school is private and so students can develop a close connection with other students and professors.
This seems like the all around terrific program. I am interested to learn more about what they have to offer outside of the school's website - do you know of other sites I can check out?

I'll be honest I don't. But I did contact the school and they sent me a little 24 page booklet detailing the OTD program. Have you heard anything back from Pacific yet? I'm nervously waiting.....I hope I get invited to the March interview. :(

I called them the other day. They said they are behind. People can expect to hear the latest March 3 or 4 for interview invitation. They will also be offering Skype interview for those that can't travel to the school.