pacific northwest ortho programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loveofortho

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MSIII in the northeast with pretty solid stats looking to make it into ortho in the Northwest. Although I'm relatively sure I'll be able to find a program somewhere in the country that will take me, I'm not sure I can play with the big boys at UW, or the other schools out that aways. Does anyone know what kind of stats succesful applicants have at places like UW, OHSU, or UCSF? board scores? all AMA? significant research required? same as anywhere else (it's just the combination of everything and there's no way to untangle the puzzle?)
any thoughts would be great. thanks-
J

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to gauge where you can or can not match with just stats, there is a lot of other factors that goes into a match list. Matching in ortho is tough and you can have the greatest stats.. then end up not matching. Or you could have average stats for an ortho applicant and match very well b/c you kicked butt on your away rotation. I would suggest you rotate out to the programs that you are interested in, which would be your best shot at matching into those programs in the Northwest. If you think you are good on paper.... top 25% of your class, >240s, +/- AOA, Great clinical grades and great letters, with some research experience.... then you should just set up a couple of aways out there, and try to impress people. Be realist with your self as if you are in the bottom half of your class, have <220 step I, - AOA, then even if you rotation out at places like UW or UCSF, your chances of matching with them is slim. Bottomline is that you should pick your aways carefully.

thanks for the input, it's great to hear your two cents. I certainly appreciate the impossibility of predicting the ins and outs of the match, but its hard sometimes to even get a vibe of what caliber applicants are going to different programs. Another question for you -
If I'm dead set on ortho, and have stats like you mentioned in your first example, how many away ortho rotations would be realistic to do during fourth year? would I want to do one at my dream school, one at a "safe" (whatever that means in ortho), and one at my home program? What is the best time of year to rotate to your top choices (we start AI's in march). I know this is largely impossible to predict, but that makes any advice about fourth year planning that much more useful. Thanks again-

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have the stats that I mentioned in my post, then consider your self pretty much competitive at most of the ortho programs. I would do 3 one month rotations during your 4th year, the 1st one being at your home school, so that you can use that month to kinda figure things out, reading X rays, consults, what is expected of you, etc, etc, then do your aways around sept and october, those two months are closer to interview dates and you will have an lasting impression on the program if you rotate later, but not too late, as Nov and dec is too late. Also if you get down with one of your aways early, you might be able to get an letter for your apps. An strong Away letter looks very good, because you have showed people that you can impress your home people and the away people. If you are set on the Northwest, find two programs to rotate out there, set it up early, and find out which service is good and who is good to work with. Usually working with the PD or Chair will help you in the application process, so find out what services those guys are on, then set it up.

There is no such thing as a safe program in ortho.... well, maybe a couple of the crappy programs are easier to get into. Pick a couple of programs that you are very interested in going, then set up, kick ass on those months as in, show up early, stay late, help out, don't step on anyone shoes esp any of the resident's, work hard, read pertinant things, etc, etc. Ithink if you check out orthogate, there is many suggestions on what qualities you need to rock out the away rotations. Basically, DO NOT show up late for rounds, DO NOT make your resident look bad, DO NOT joke around with people that you don't know very well (I have seen several rotators that offended my fellow residents by telling inappropriate jokes... which is a big strike), DO NOT complain about how hard you are working, DO show interest at what you are doing, DO have a smile on your face, DO try to help out when ever possible, these things will help you.

Good luck with the roation and matching.

Basically, DO NOT show up late for rounds, DO NOT make your resident look bad, DO NOT joke around with people that you don't know very well (I have seen several rotators that offended my fellow residents by telling inappropriate jokes... which is a big strike), DO NOT complain about how hard you are working, DO show interest at what you are doing, DO have a smile on your face, DO try to help out when ever possible, these things will help you.

Good luck with the roation and matching.

Great advice...I'll take it.

DO NOT joke around with people that you don't know very well (I have seen several rotators that offended my fellow residents by telling inappropriate jokes... which is a big strike)

What the hell kind of program are you in? We are, in general, the most humorous and irreverent of all the programs. I have yet to meet an Ortho resident who was "offended" by jokes, even when coming from someone they just met.

You sure you're not in Gen Surg? I know they get touchy when I let words like "c*ck" slip out in casual conversation . . .

What the hell kind of program are you in? We are, in general, the most humorous and irreverent of all the programs. I have yet to meet an Ortho resident who was "offended" by jokes, even when coming from someone they just met.

You sure you're not in Gen Surg? I know they get touchy when I let words like "c*ck" slip out in casual conversation . . .

:laugh: