PA vs PT, which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andy0311

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is a better career and why? Which career can i expect a higher salary? What is the average salary for a surgical PA? Do surgical PA's make more than PT's w/ a specialty? Which career is more well respected by the public? Which career is more in demand and what the job market looks like for the future? What is a salary for a PT with his own private practice?

-I'm a bit uneasy about the APTA switching over to a "doctorate" program as i feel it's a waste of money and time. I also don't like the fact that Pt's can't order x-rays or imaging, can't prescribe medication and largely depend on doctor referrals for business. I like the fact that PA's can order tests/x-rays, can prescribe medication, can specialize in surgery and become a 1st assistant in the operating room. I just don't like the fact that you'll always depend on physicians to hire you and that you'll always be someones assistant. A PT can open his own practice and be truly autonomous but a PA can't. Yet you really have to have money to open your own practice and you may spend up to 60-80 hr work schedules and no time for a social life. Can a PA dictate his own hours/work schedule or does it depend on the facility/physicians needs?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, have you rotated or done any volunteer work in either field? Do that first. I could give you a litany of the pros/cons of each, but only you can decide what you can see yourself doing for 30+ years. Me? I weighed my options re: opening my own clinic or going into administration. In the end, I ended up going the medical school route and not one day has gone by where I thought I shouldn't have done it. I'd talk to others whom you respect in each field to hopefully give you a better perspective.

I'd say PA for sure. I was in PT school for a short time (I think I really drank the APTA kool-aid). I hate the move to the clinical doctorate - although that issue has been addressed on numerous threads here.

PA gives you a much larger scope of practice, and dare I say, more autonomy. While you do work under the supervision of an MD, you aren't limited to just rehab. You are more in control of overall patient care, and that was a huge factor in me switching careers (or at least trying to).

*Nothing against PT here: rehab is as important in patient care, just not as important to some individuals, such as myself.

Members don't see this ad :)
PA gives you a much larger scope of practice, and dare I say, more autonomy. While you do work under the supervision of an MD, you aren't limited to just rehab. You are more in control of overall patient care, and that was a huge factor in me switching careers (or at least trying to).
This is a critical point. I chose PT for the exact same reasoning. The difference: I didn't care much for managing the "medical" care of a patient, rather wanted to focus on rehab and the flavor of care inherent to it. All that really means is: do you want to be a physician or a physical therapist. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=689261&page=2 a lot of pointless arguing in the above link, but some good points to be found.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with MotionDoc. I don't have any interest in medicine, and I don't want to perform/assist in surgery. You got to know what you like.

If you're interested in medicine, rehab, and PA, perhaps you could then work in a PM&R doctor's office.

All stats seem to indicate that PA does pay more, but that wasn't the main drive for me. I am not going to play totally altruistic and talk about "helping people is the most important thing". Hell, there are countless jobs out there if you just really want to help people.

I am not interested in seeing granny about her incontinence or lil bobby about his sniffles. If I wanted to do surgery, I would go on and be an MD and work in ortho surgery.

I want to enjoy my day, be in an "exercise" type environment, have the option of opening a clinic/gym, and one day teach at my university. For me, PT fit all those bills.

I think you need to enjoy your job. If money is the primary goal, there are many ways, a lot that don't require so much education, to make much more than a PT, PA, and in many cases an MD.

just gonna agree with what everyone else already wrote. i too wrestled with the idea of PA. they both have pros and cons-it's just a matter of what you prefer. i love anatomy and don't really care all that much for medicine. i also actually like spending a lot of time with the patients.

therapy isn't for everyone. alternatively, PA isn't for everyone either.

Hello all,
Looking for some straight forward advice. I'm 1.5 years into the DPT program (with 1.5 to go) but have had severe doubts about it from the start. I will admit I've stayed d/t pressure from my parents to just get it done and start paying down loans. I had talked myself into walking away after the 1st year and applying for PA school only to get talked into coming back.....again. Their main argument that does make sense to me is that I've already invested so much time and money into the program, that it may be foolish to throw it all away and start over in this sort of economy with no guarantees.

However, I get so bored on our clinical experiences and I have a really hard time engaging. I've never had trouble working before but I often feel like what we're being sent in to do isn't what I would consider "skilled intervention" so my brain checks out. I love pharmacology, nutrition, surgery, mental health, etc and feel that I would much rather enjoy being an overall health care provider (PA or MD) vs only focusing on the musculoskeletal system.

The other thing is that I originally got into PT because I knew it would allow me to focus on my family once I have one although that is a long way down the road. However, I'm coming to realize that maybe hating my career for 30+ years isn't worth the 5-10 that I get to stay home or work part time?

The only other thing that is weighing on my mind is from talking to a friend of mine who is a practicing PA. She has been practicing for around 10 years and feels quite competent in her field. She fully admits that she doesn't know as much as an MD, however, it does bother her that sometimes her position is misunderstood (outside the med community) and she is never asked for her opinion on health topics on which she is very well informed. She is frustrated that there is really no room for upward mobility in the PA realm. I don't think I would do well with this feeling as once I get comfortable with a job, I do want to call the shots. However, I feel like being able to have the family balance may be able to outweigh my need to be the "final say".

If any PAs, PTs, MDs, could weigh in on whatever comes to mind as you read this, it would help a ton, especially if you are a mom. Would you do it the same, different, any regrets?

Thank you all for the help.

Hello all,
Looking for some straight forward advice. I'm 1.5 years into the DPT program (with 1.5 to go) but have had severe doubts about it from the start. I will admit I've stayed d/t pressure from my parents to just get it done and start paying down loans. I had talked myself into walking away after the 1st year and applying for PA school only to get talked into coming back.....again. Their main argument that does make sense to me is that I've already invested so much time and money into the program, that it may be foolish to throw it all away and start over in this sort of economy with no guarantees.

However, I get so bored on our clinical experiences and I have a really hard time engaging. I've never had trouble working before but I often feel like what we're being sent in to do isn't what I would consider "skilled intervention" so my brain checks out. I love pharmacology, nutrition, surgery, mental health, etc and feel that I would much rather enjoy being an overall health care provider (PA or MD) vs only focusing on the musculoskeletal system.

The other thing is that I originally got into PT because I knew it would allow me to focus on my family once I have one although that is a long way down the road. However, I'm coming to realize that maybe hating my career for 30+ years isn't worth the 5-10 that I get to stay home or work part time?

The only other thing that is weighing on my mind is from talking to a friend of mine who is a practicing PA. She has been practicing for around 10 years and feels quite competent in her field. She fully admits that she doesn't know as much as an MD, however, it does bother her that sometimes her position is misunderstood (outside the med community) and she is never asked for her opinion on health topics on which she is very well informed. She is frustrated that there is really no room for upward mobility in the PA realm. I don't think I would do well with this feeling as once I get comfortable with a job, I do want to call the shots. However, I feel like being able to have the family balance may be able to outweigh my need to be the "final say".

If any PAs, PTs, MDs, could weigh in on whatever comes to mind as you read this, it would help a ton, especially if you are a mom. Would you do it the same, different, any regrets?

Thank you all for the help.

Sounds like you're pretty unhappy. Probably should get out of PT school and find something you're passionate about that is also mom friendly.

OP - Shadow both and then decide.

I'm currently active duty and working on a general ed degree before I get out in 18 months, I'm torn between what path I'd like to head down though. How does one volunteer or shadow either profession? Are there pre-reqs to this?

I'm currently active duty and working on a general ed degree before I get out in 18 months, I'm torn between what path I'd like to head down though. How does one volunteer or shadow either profession? Are there pre-reqs to this?
No pre-reqs to shadow or volunteer. Just find a hospital, clinic or doctors office that has a PT or PA and stop by and ask if you can shadow someone in the profession. Most understand and are happy to help. Just introduce yourself and why you want to shadow, maybe fill out some patient confidentiality paperwork, but that's it.

No pre-reqs to shadow or volunteer. Just find a hospital, clinic or doctors office that has a PT or PA and stop by and ask if you can shadow someone in the profession. Most understand and are happy to help. Just introduce yourself and why you want to shadow, maybe fill out some patient confidentiality paperwork, but that's it.

You would have been a great help 3 years ago.

Reactions: 1 users
I chose PT strictly based on the rehab portion and I knew what salary I was expecting with outpatient PT vs PA. As a co-worker told me, happiness is priceless. I can do home health PT and make 100K a year or be a PA and make the same (even more). For some (with large families, debt, obligations), money is very important because not having the amount of $$ you need can lead to high stress and lead to other severe life complications. If you find what you love, with anything in life, and you can justify that salary then go for it for what you really love.

Strength/conditioning/ortho, aquatic therapy, dry-needling, and spinal manipulation is too fun compared to anything else I can think it.