PA to MD...apply this cycle or wait

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RachaelMcC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

(is this the appropriate place to post this? maybe the nontrad section? redirect me if necessary)

Hey everyone, trying to decide if I should apply this cycle or wait. I have half of my friends saying go for it, and half saying don't (my friends are med students). I considered trying to retake the MCAT within the next 2 months and have pending scores, but was reading the negatives about this. I also read the thread about applying to one throw away school, and then submitting to the rest of the schools with the new MCAT score. I was planning on applying to MD and DO schools but now I'm unsure.

I'm a PA-C who graduated last year and decided to apply to med school (explained well in my personal statement). I graduated undergrad in 2012 and PA school 2017.

Undergrad:
cGPA 3.39, sGPA 3.02
MCAT 498 (122/129/123/124) (I haven't taken these science courses in quite some time)

PA School
3.8 GPA

White, 28 yo female

Clinical Experience:
I'm an urgent care PA, I was also an ER technician (3 years) and a medical scribe (1.5 years), volunteered at a hospital in undergrad
Research: 2 semesters (4 credits) of microbiology research in undergrad, presented at a conference. Master's research project in PA school which won the NYSSPA conference.
Shadowing Experience: I was a scribe and technician so I was with doctors every day. PA school you have a whole year of clinical training which includes shadowing/assisting/seeing your own patients.
Non Clinical Volunteering: undergrad I volunteered at an animal shelter. PA school I did several volunteer things, including arranging 2 of them, I was the VP of the PA student society so I was usually involved in all the volunteering
Extracurricular: officer of the science club undergrad, VP of PA student society, NYSSPA representative for PA class, social media for PA program, photography business
Honors/Awards: Undergrad: Service and Appreciation Award, Deans list x3, Presidential Scholarship, Sigma Xi Member, Delta Epsilon Iota Member. PA school: PAEA Pi Alpha National Honor Society

Extra info: I delivered pizza throughout undergrad. Freshman year I had a bunch of ****ty grades, my boyfriend broke up with me and my grandmother died, repeated the courses with much better grades. I have great letters of rec, including one from my PA professor, one of my clinical preceptors from PA school, 3 doctors I used to work with, and an undergrad professor.

THANK YOU !!

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? When will you receive the results of your new MCAT score ?

Hello, I'm a NYS resident. I could potentially take in in August, so scores would be back mid to late September.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I'm a NYS resident. I could potentially take in in August, so scores would be back mid to late September.
Late September would be fine to still apply to DO schools but would be late in the MD cycle. Post your score here when available.

Reactions: 1 user