P2/ P3 Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultracet

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the rest of us....

If anyone needs any encouragement my philosophy is... Someone stupider than you has made it before.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm enjoying my P2 year. My goal is to keep afloat and not be one of the ones who have to repeat year 2. Exams kicked in the 5th week. It's now week 7 and we have at least one exam each week until the end of the semester. If you take too much time to study, you will fall behind in another class. I've had one pharmacology exam and one therapeutics exam, with med chem tomorrow night. I just got assigned today via email to peer review another student's presentation from 2 weeks ago and I have to turn that paper in tomorrow afternoon, so I'll have to cut back on study time. I've also been assigned my topic which I will have to research and present by next Monday. It's hectic, but I'm learning a lot.

I like the looks I get from undergrads when I tell that that I have to study for hours every night for the tests I have the last week in October. I'll have Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacology, and Pathophysiology/Therapeutics exams all within a 4 day span starting October twenty-somethingth. It's torture. And with all that studying I'll still get a C on the Pharmacology exam; I'm convinced that the professor overseeing that class is Satan. Throwing holy water on her exams would probably cause them to burst into flames.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm out on rotations. It's pretty cool. No homework, exams, lectures, etc. I graduate in about 1 year and 8 months, but who's counting? ;)

jdpharmd? said:
I'm out on rotations. It's pretty cool. No homework, exams, lectures, etc. I graduate in about 1 year and 8 months, but who's counting? ;)

Same here....advantage accelerated programs!!

I am so jealous of those of you in acceperated programs! Almost as jealous as you were of me this summer! HA!

Well, since you asked....

School just started for me last week. So far, I am caught up. I am taking 7 classes this quarter, one of which is basically done. Classes don't start until 9:30 most days, which makes a huge difference in my energy level. Tuesdays I am off from school and will be working. That means I have weekends off! Well, not off. But, I can sit in my pajamas for 2 days in a row if I decide to. I need to get better grades this year. My GPA is embarassing.

If I don't want to crash and burn, I am really going to have to work to cut back on all the extra stuff I have been doing over the summer. I am (obviously) on SDN way too much for my own good, am working on setting up the P1s and P3s as members of the UW Pharmacy student forum, participating in orientation activities with the noobs and a whole lot more stuff that is just not coming to mind as important at the moment.

Divorce proceedings will soon be in my future. Under my state law, since there is no cheating or spousal abuse, I have to establish a separate residence before I file. Doing that when your name is on a mortgage already isn't terribly easy. Once I file, I am signing over the house and mortgage to him, just to get out clean. So far, the whole thing is amiable, minus a few comments that I am choosing to ignore for the sake of keeping the peace. I will be moving in less than 3 weeks, providing all goes well. The move will put me 30 miles closer to school (I'm now 60 miles away) and make my life a whole lot simpler. For now, I am staying in the spare room at the house. I will be keeping the same job. Most everyone I have told has been very supportive. It just feels really wierd to be in this amorphous phase of the transition. I am also worried about moving in the middle of the quarter, right as the exam onslought begins. Something tells me that I will be unpacking over winter break.

I figure after the first quarter is over with, it will be a great P2. For now, I will just hang in there and make the best of it.

Good luck with your divorce. I might follow you if my husband continues to be a jerk. Yesterday I was studying for med chem and he asked me what was for dinner. I told him that I gave him some choices earlier in the day and he should pick one, but for right now I have to study med chem. He said, NO YOU'RE NOT! I can't believe that dinner is more important than my schooling.

I have about a 60 mile drive, too. I'd love to just move out and be close to school, but that takes money. My husband makes sure that I am always broke. He told me that when I'm a pharmacist, he will take my paycheck and put me on an allowance. I think I will be gone by then.

dgroulx said:
Good luck with your divorce. I might follow you if my husband continues to be a jerk. Yesterday I was studying for med chem and he asked me what was for dinner. I told him that I gave him some choices earlier in the day and he should pick one, but for right now I have to study med chem. He said, NO YOU'RE NOT! I can't believe that dinner is more important than my schooling.

I have about a 60 mile drive, too. I'd love to just move out and be close to school, but that takes money. My husband makes sure that I am always broke. He told me that when I'm a pharmacist, he will take my paycheck and put me on an allowance. I think I will be gone by then.

There is a girl in my class with the exact same problem... Her husband expects the baseboards washed every week. THE BASEBOARDS. Just because his mom used to do it. No thanks!

bbmuffin said:
There is a girl in my class with the exact same problem... Her husband expects the baseboards washed every week. THE BASEBOARDS. Just because his mom used to do it. No thanks!

what is a baseboard? :confused:

crying moo said:
what is a baseboard? :confused:

you know how you have carpet or wood floors and where the floor meets the wall there is some trim on the wall or something...
in my apt it is around 2-3" high in some houses/apts it is larger and in some it is smaller...
Basically he wants her to wash the wood on the walls around the floors.

sorry must be a southern word!

Members don't see this ad :)
Moulding...you mean the stuff that grows on your food when you leave it out for a few weeks? J/K At any rate, if I were you girls I would jet in a heartbeat. I can't imagine letting anyone get away with that kind of behavior. Start charging for your services, if he wants dinner, then tell him that it cost $5 bucks, and if he wants anything washed that is $10, after awhile he will either start doing things for himself. If he doesn't then let him starve or say see-yah. There is no reason to put up with that kind of garbage. Anyways, good luck!

bananaface said:
It's not a southern word. It's just a matter of exposure. I bet alot of people don't know what moulding is either.

I have baseboards throughout the house and crown moulding in my formal living room, formal dining room and entry hall. I'd like to eventually add it to the master bedroom.

My husband does allow me to have a once weekly maid, but I have to pay for it. We still have to vacuum again on Sunday. But, at least I don't have to do the baseboards.

jdpharmd? said:

That must be nice. I have 5 more semesters of course work before I get to go on rotations. We start the spring semester of year 3 and continue through the summer, then fall semester of year 4. After that, we have to hit the books again for the final semester.

I have a once weekly maid too...my husband. He has been wonderful and hearing about some of the stories here, it makes me realize just how lucky I am :love: . He has been doing all the laundry (including ironing) and all the cleaning while I'm working on the weekends. He helps quiz me for tests and he is always trying to find ways to give me time to relax. :love:

I am so glad for finals to be over I can't hardly contain myself.

I was told that the 2nd year was the hardest.....

That this year would be better....

Liars...
they were all liars.

My last final was yesterday. Today's cumulative med chem final is today, but it's optional and I'm not taking it. I just want to relax while I can, because we start back up on January 3rd. I'll relax better once they post grades.

we start back on the 3rd as well.. i miss the good ole days of a longer break...

we have some grades posted and others aren't...

bananaface said:
So how is everyone's quarter going?
I have my first pharmacology exam tonight. It's shouldn't be too bad, it's just opiates, benzos, barbituates and alcohol. Things start to suck on Feb 9th. I have a therapuetics exam, then 2 exams the following week and 2 more the week after that. I'll still have all the case studies and presentations to do on top of that. I'm not sure when I'll find time to study. At least the following week is spring break.

we have just finished up our jan term and today is the first day of the "second" semester
jan term consited of 5 hours of therapeutics (the brain) every day for the month of january
i'm lucky i didn't try to kill myself it was horrible

we have a drug literature evaluation class this semester (which we also had last semester and during our first year) and it blows.

i hate every second of DLE.

i'm sure i will have more to grip about later...

oh but on a positive...
in our human resource management class we got to watch clips from the movie office space

How's everyone's finals going? I'm having a hard time trying to get motivated to study knowing it's just a week until summer break.

Sosumi said:
How's everyone's finals going? I'm having a hard time trying to get motivated to study knowing it's just a week until summer break.
Finals? I'm in my second week of the quarter!! blah :laugh:

Oh man.....4 rotations done, 2 more to go! I will, finally, finish this rotation next week (May 20). Wow, this has been a long 6 weeks. For all of you wishing you were on rotation instead of classes, don't wish too hard! Rotations can suck, you have to be there 8 hours (no skipping if you're tired, etc). And if you're on a clinical rotation, it's usually 10+ hours at the site, then at least 2 hours of work to do at home. I never did this much work every night as I do now on rotations. Preceptors love to give you extra questions to look up at night, not to mention the journal club, case presentation (with power point presentation), DI paper, and 3 extra larger projects we have to do. Anyways, just wanted to vent a bit. For all of you still in class, enjoy it! You get to see your friends almost every day, you don't have to go if you don't want to (take advantage of that fact now). before you know it, all of that freedom will be gone. But, yay, at least I only have until August until I am done (thank god for CCP's AGO program, I could not imagine if I still had to do this next year.)

bah.... just had an entry written and with the click of a wrong key... gone....

anyway
2 exams left.... ethics tomorrow and therapeutics monday

then off to rotations (hopefully)

i cannot wait until my rotations start. in our curriculum we have a rotation our first and second year and then 8 our 4th year.

currently i have june august december and may off!!

My rotations are in the following:
VA ambulatory care (adult medicine 2) required
St. Vincents (Adult Medicine 1) required
Managed Care
DIC required
CVS
Compounding
Grocery store pharmacy
Independent focused in diabetes management

woo hoo!!!!!

i just have to make it through therapeutics!!!!!!!!!

bbmuffin said:
bah.... just had an entry written and with the click of a wrong key... gone....

anyway
2 exams left.... ethics tomorrow and therapeutics monday

then off to rotations (hopefully)

i cannot wait until my rotations start. in our curriculum we have a rotation our first and second year and then 8 our 4th year.

currently i have june august december and may off!!

My rotations are in the following:
VA ambulatory care (adult medicine 2) required
St. Vincents (Adult Medicine 1) required
Managed Care
DIC required
CVS
Compounding
Grocery store pharmacy
Independent focused in diabetes management

woo hoo!!!!!

i just have to make it through therapeutics!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on making it to rotations!

I'm on my last summer break. I start back in August, get a week off for Christmas then start rotations in March. I have rotations for 48 weeks straight then I go back and finish a couple of electives before graduation.

Our required rotations are:
Ambulatory Care - 8 weeks
Adult Medicine - 8 weeks
Drug Information - 4 weeks
Your choice of pediatrics/geriatrics/oncology for 4 weeks
Vacation - 4 weeks (my favorite)

There are many elective rotations to choose from for the 5 remaining rotations. I'm hoping to get OR/Anesthesiology, HIV/Infectious disease, AIDS/immunology, Veterinary medicine and maybe another oncology/hematology rotation since I'll probably choose geriatrics for my required rotation.

im glad to hear someone else is required to do a DI rotation....

there are a lot of schools who don't and that makes me a hater

bbmuffin said:
im glad to hear someone else is required to do a DI rotation....

there are a lot of schools who don't and that makes me a hater

Gold Standard Multimedia who makes Clinical Pharmacology is in Tampa. That would be okay if I could get that one.

oh now that would be fun....

clinical pharmacology is fantastic

i will be downloading it to my palm before i head out on rotations..

i can't believe how time has flown while in pharmacy school.. i mean while it is happening it seems to drag but in retrospect it has gone by extremely fast