P1 hicp students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like the 34 students who had the balls enough to stand up against these frauds might be at the top of the list to get paid back, and I hope they get they full amount back. The rest of the students should get the crumbs split amongst them as they didn't have the backbone to stand up for themselves, but would rather sit back and play both sides. Congrats to those of you with backbones.

Members don't see this ad.

:D finaly :)

Thanks Minh, johnnywest for transcribing the hearing.

The DCCA, lawyers, and investigators deserve a thank you as well. For all their hard work and time, I know the investigators and lawyers are tirelessly working hard to expose HICP for what it is.

Stewart from the Star Bulletin also deserves thanking for documenting what’s been going on and informing the public.

SDNer's have been great. Thanks for point students in the right direction and encouraging them to the right things.

Monroe, Criswell, and Hasan have a lot of nerve to sit there and to lie to judge. You know what Monroe said in court is a good example of what he's been saying and using on students. "Look at me I’m poor and ….I am only doing this for these people behind me, the students"

Where are the mysterious private investors now? No building? No land? No contracts? No money to pay rent at Kapolei? No money for employees? What have the owners been doing this whole time? Caring for students? Yeah right!

BMBiology said:
To HICP students- I am truly sadden that you guys have to go through this horrible mess but I am glad it is all over now and you guys will get some of your money back. If you guys still want to become a pharmacist after this, there is nothing that can stop you guys!! I wish you guys the best.

Thanks BMBiology. I hope another HICP will not happen again.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks Minh and Jonnie for typing this up.. finally this whole drama is over... However, i really want to see monroe, criswell and hasan behind bar for their actions.they really deserve this..
thanks everyone involved. finally we (HICPers) can move on with our life. gluck w/ everything my former classmates.... hope we can see each other again at a better place and time.

lisi said:
Was this guy under oath? If so, they've got him for perjury, too. There's no way that he wasn't the librarian....ask anyone at USN. He WAS the librarian...

No he wasn't under oath. It's funny because why would someone hire you and give you the title "librarian" and make you perform task of a different nature?

I hope that next year, I will find myself as a peer advisor for one of you aspiring former HICP students at UIC.

Your dreams aren't crushed - stand firm and move on.

J Lucas said:
Few questions though, how did monroe ,criswell and hasan react when he said that he was going to freeze the accounts? How did they react throughout the trial?tough guy ish ?Did you speak? Also does this mean that their personal accounts will be frozen as well? Im happy that this happened so these students could stop living in this dream that they were going to get accredited and work on going to a real pharmacy school. I think everyone wanted the best for the students but that just wasnt possible with M,C, and H behind the wheel.

-From where I was sitting M, C, H, didn't saw any reaction...it was more like, they knew it was comming. They sat there with a straight face, didn't say anything. Throught the trial M, like that guy that he is, acts "tough and serious" (for HICP you know what I'm taking about, like when he tries to give his serious speeches). H didn't really say or do much in the hearing. C was "uncomforatble" I would say.

-Yes, their personal accounts will be frozen. The Monroe and Criswell's lawyer tried to oppose that move, stating they need "survival" money. Judge said, No, personal accounts included (because of some reason, I do'nt remember). However, tommorow, the judge will decided weather or not and how much M&C should get to "survive"

Jeddevil said:
It sounds like the 34 students who had the balls enough to stand up against these frauds might be at the top of the list to get paid back, and I hope they get they full amount back. The rest of the students should get the crumbs split amongst them as they didn't have the backbone to stand up for themselves, but would rather sit back and play both sides. Congrats to those of you with backbones.

-Thanks for the words of encouragement Jeddevil. I totally agree with you about the 34 students, they are brave, and they have courage to do what they did. And I DO HOPE, and IT'S FAIR that these students get paid back in FULL FIRST. And the rest of the "two-faced" & "believers" can divide the left over. If it wasn't for the 34, there would be now, no restitution.

-But in reality, I don't think it will turn out like that, they will divide up what is left to the entire 240-250 people who paid. Yes, it's truely unfair that for those few who believed in the "Right Thing To Do" are not rewarded.

johnniewest said:
To HICP Students:

I saw a petition letter in support of HICP circulating, and just wanted to say that if you sign that letter, you may not be able to recover your money if the state of Hawaii is successful in suing HICP. That letter basically states that you were fully aware of HICP's situation and the school never deceived you.

If you sign that petition, you are admitting that you were never deceived and no wrong doing was ever done. Hence, you may not be eligible to receive your money back, even if the state is successful in its lawsuit.

Even if you still support the school, I would reword that letter if I were you. You can say you support the school, but don't relieve anyone from their guilt.

I hope some of you guys got this message before it was too late. The judge will be prioritizing and I am afraid that if you signed the petition letter that I saw, you may not be on the priority list at all.

No petition can save the school from the judge because her job was just to determine if there was any wrong-doing. This was not an election. Your petition means very little. I'm afraid that if you signed that petition, you may face some legal problems in recovering your money back.

I'm no legal expert, but my gut feeling tells me that there may be trouble for you guys.

Dear Members of the Hawaii College of Pharmacy,

Today, the judge made the decision to grant the Office of Consumer Protection's motion to freeze the College's assets with a preliminary injunction. In effect, this has served to effectively close our school. The struggle has been a long and hard one, and I personally thank all of you for supporting us throughout these times.

Unfortunately, it is our students who must bear the brunt of this decision, along with the faculty and staff who have sacrificaced much to be a part of our program.

To our students, I wish all of you well in your pursuit of the Pharm.D. Do not let this deter you from continuing to strive toward your goals and dreams. To our Faculty, thank you for your dedication to our College, and staff members, we could not have traveled this far without you. You have been the greatest of assests. To all of you, it has been an honor for me to have had the opportunity to work with you.

Take care, and I hope all of you well.

Sincerely,

Dean _______

hawaii90210 said:
finally this whole drama is over...

-NO, IT IS NOT OVER YET!!!!!!

-It's just one step closer to over. Today's hearing was to determine weather PES/HICP assets should be froze. It was not trial to determine if M & C were at fault for the charges.

-The assets are frozen, so when and if the court decides that M & C were guilty of the charges that there is still money to pay back to the students

-However, the outcome is likely that the student will get what is left of their tuition. The Judge expressed clearly that she was on the "consumers' side" and that she "BELIEVES" that there was "MISREPRESENTATION" and "UNFAIR & DECEPTIVE PRACTICES." I don't know if it will be the same Judge for the "real trial", but if it's the same, it seems the students have already won.

If the "personal" accounts are outside of HI, then the judge's injunction would be out of jurisdiction and not applicable to those accounts.

Now, let's do some math: ($2million - $400 000 + assets)/240 = max that you will get back. Works out to $6666.67, assuming assets=0.

What are their (as in, HICP's) real assets? A dozen computers?

Interestingly, Hasan seems to miss the temporary-ness of injunctions.

Does anyone remember the name of the attorney representing HICP?

This is a common misconseption that many people have.

"The DCCA is out to close HICP down" = FALSE

The DCCA is not out to close HICP down...the DCCA wants HICP to pay the students who complained their money back, and HICP can operate using it's own money. HICP doesn't HAVE MONEY!!!! The only money it had/has is basically the students tuition money. Now, if HICP had to the all the students back, they will have NO MORE money to operate the school...effectively shutting down. So shutting down of HICP is not due to DCCA, is do to the Corporation having no money to support and sustain itself. (Well, if you pay yourself 500K, and buy a 500K house, with 3 lux. car....yeah, you won't monye left)

Members don't see this ad :)
SomeGuy said:
If the "personal" accounts are outside of HI, then the judge's injunction would be out of jurisdiction and not applicable to those accounts.

Now, let's do some math: ($2million - $400 000 + assets)/240 = max that you will get back. Works out to $6666.67, assuming assets=0.

What are their (as in, HICP's) real assets? A dozen computers?

Interestingly, Hasan seems to miss the temporary-ness of injunctions.

Does anyone remember the name of the attorney representing HICP?

-Judge said everything counts even out of state. Becuae DCCA investigated and found that most of the money was outside HI.

-Judge said evrything but 2 things, 1) property criswell transfered to her ex-husband due to divorce, 2) child support criswell gets

-Not like we didn't know already...our money was used to fund the dental school.

-Judge was MAD when she found out that $500,000 (I think that was the amount) was transfered the "Hawaii College of Dental Medicine." She asked, "So the money from the pharmacy student is being used to fund the dental school?"

-Rawson was there...I hope he wasn't too surprised about the outcome. He's been saying that HICP is HICP and HICDM is HICDM...If HICP goes down, HICDM will still continue....lets see if that will still hold Rawson.

Thank you for typing out the transcripts and posting it.

I really feel sorry for all of the students.

So the school is effectively closed. I wonder how many other pharmacy schools have closed after accepting a class.

Perhaps now is the time to start working on the apps for next year.

Another question: Will all of you lose your intern licenses? I would assume so, perhaps you can ask the DCCA to recover the difference in a technician's salary compared to an intern's salary.

Good luck!

Jeddevil said it earlier, but I just want to put it in my own words.

-I know many believers who were commited into comming back, they paid the deposit, they knew what was going on, they knew the school was unethical and unprofessional, but they still find was to justify "working/learning" under these people. I don't mind, they do what they must.

-The problem now is that the assets are frozen and those "believers" no longer see a benefit in "believeing." They hear that students will get their money back if they file a complaint. And students are filing complaints by the dozen. These students are SELFISH! They only do things to benefit them. They don't believe in what is RIGHT. To these people, it's all about the money.

-These are the people who I don't want to see become pharmacist! I say that with HATRED! What kind of pharmacist do you think they will become? We don't need Greedy Pharmacist working in our community. We need ethical, morally correct, compasionate, reasonable, logical, caring pharmacist...pharmacist with some COMMON SENSE! There is no need for two-faced liars. I'm sorry, I have no RESPECT for those students. I know you have lost time and money...but for you to sit there and do nothing to help the cause, you are just sitting there to reap the benefits of the situation and the work that people have put into fixing the problem. I suggest you people start straighten your "inner self" or go find another profession, or just get a job.

-For those of you out there who don't understand...there is a difference between PROFESSION, CARRER, and JOB....get one that best suits you!

aaron31981 said:
Another question: Will all of you lose your intern licenses? I would assume so, perhaps you can ask the DCCA to recover the difference in a technician's salary compared to an intern's salary.

Good luck!

Here's the catch, since the school is not accreditated, we never legally quailified for a "intern license".

DoTheRightThing said:

I am sure most of those students are the ones that have no chance at being accepted to an accredited school.

BMBiology said:
To HICP students- I am truly sadden that you guys have to go through this horrible mess but I am glad it is all over now and you guys will get some of your money back. If you guys still want to become a pharmacist after this, there is nothing that can stop you guys!! I wish you guys the best.

-Thank you for the support. Honestly, it was you who truely motivated me to take action. I saw that you were a very active on this thread...and for a non-HICP student to post his opinion almost everyday, and help with providing information....I saw the need for HICP to step up. Thanks to you.

-As for pusing pharmacy...I will continue to do whatever I need to become a pharmacist.

If an HI state court makes a judgement, then that judgement can only be collected in the state of HI. Anything otherwise is like a Canadian judge making a judgement and enforcing its collection in the USA. Different US states are pretty much like different countries in this situation. HI can make all the judgements they want on bank accounts in other states, but the DCCA won't be able to collect, since it would be out-of-jurisdiction.

What the DCCA would need to do to collect from out-of-state accounts is have the case transcribed in the other state as needed, where the other state basically applies the same ruling. This should be rather easy, as the DCCA is a rather credible entity. The only bump I see is if the ruling only relates to a law that doesn't exist in the other state, such as HI's laws on unaccredited institutions.
Note: I am not a lawyer and have zero formal education in law.

You have got to give credit to Monroe and Criswell, this is one hell of a scam. I don't see any chance of jail time and its very likely that at least $1,000,000 of the students money was laundered already. NOT TO MENTION! they are about to attempt to do the same with a Dental school or even better try to run the Dental school legitmately with the scammed funds from the Pharmacy School. (This is known as money washing). Did anyone hear the term jail being used?

What so shocking to me is how these believers can sit in court and listen to the truth with their own ears but still be able to stand up at the end of session and say, "The school is a good school."

Seriously, if that doesn't change their thinking, nothing can. They need a head check.

quacker said:
What so shocking to me is how these believers can sit in court and listen to the truth with their own ears but still be able to stand up at the end of session and say, "The school is a good school."

Seriously, if that doesn't change their thinking, nothing can. They need a head check.

I found that strange too. Those people were either paid to support, or they thought HICP was their last hope. I can not conceive of any other possible reason to why they would still believe in the school after the negative media blitz HICP got.

I think everyone in the adminstration knew the fate of the school before they even arrived at the courthouse. However, I think the admin showed up for PR reasons. I don't know if they will ever face jail time, but some of the HICP students seem thuggish and willing to enforce street justice. After all, most people on SDN know the home addresses of "Dr." Monroe, "Dr." Criswell, Dr. A, Dr. Phan, Dr. Vu, Dr. Wong, and the TAs.

SomeGuy said:
If an HI state court makes a judgement, then that judgement can only be collected in the state of HI. Anything otherwise is like a Canadian judge making a judgement and enforcing its collection in the USA. Different US states are pretty much like different countries in this situation. HI can make all the judgements they want on bank accounts in other states, but the DCCA won't be able to collect, since it would be out-of-jurisdiction.
Your last statement sums it up best. Honestly, you shouldnt go spouting off about what you dont know about. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just saying you are giving people the wrong impression. The court DID freeze all Personal assets and can do so because they have jurisdiction over this case. It doesnt matter one bit where the money is, or where the assets are. The DCCA found property in Nevada and Kentucky, as well as Hawaii. All of those assets will be frozen and when we win the court battle, those assets will be seized and foreclosed on.
Not to get all political but, the 5th and 14th amendments to the constitution deal with this exact situation. What is recognized by one state, or by the federal government is recognized by all states. (i.e. if you're married in NV, you're married in HI).
Just because you have money/assets in a different state doesnt make them immune, no one would ever get sued if that was the case. What about people who sue huge businesses like McDonalds? Do they just sue the specific store in which they were injured and in that exact state? Hell no! They go after the big dog, the entire corporation, even if its a franchise store which isnt owned by the big company. Essetially it doesnt matter, we are winning big time and this is all coming together... Finally this nightmare is almost over.
I love Hasan's email:

"Unfortunately, it is our students who must bear the brunt of this decision, along with the faculty and staff who have sacrificaced much to be a part of our program."

We have been bearing the brunt of your tyranny the whole damn year!! The Faculty and staff were rewarded handsomely and didnt have their livelyhoods stripped from them, you doosh! And what the hell is "sacrificaced"?

"To our students, I wish all of you well in your pursuit of the Pharm.D. Do not let this deter you from continuing to strive toward your goals and dreams."

Yeah, Kulia Ika Nu'u, right? ass tool

"To our Faculty, thank you for your dedication to our College, and staff members, we could not have traveled this far without you. You have been the greatest of assests. To all of you, it has been an honor for me to have had the opportunity to work with you."

Yeah, you couldnt have increased your asseSts without the help of other criminals. "It has been an honor punishing you all, intimidating you all, and basically anally raping you all, thanks again"

Hope you can find another job teaching gang bangers, tough guy.

burn in hell said:
*edited by FutureRxGal*
wow, thats uhhmm.. a pretty good way to sum it all up. lol

Finally! Some justice to this whole ridiculous mess. I'm so upset that it happened but what is right is right. I just hope all the students will be able to move on from all this.

HEY DEAN LETS GO FISHING...........

JUST YOU AND ME!

I have some unfinished issues that I still want to take care of. Let me teach my version of Communication. I will be the professor this time!!!

PS- BRING your little buddies (A) and (M). Bring your spies too!!

I unfortunately wasnt home last time you came to visit.

"LETS SEE WHO PUNKS OUT NOW"

Jeddevil said:

I hope the judge will also see it this way. Many HICP students have been through a lot but the 34 who put their “necks out” and rose to the occasion should be rewarded for preventing something terrible from happening. The 34 + DCCA, helped prevent a crooked pharmacy from potentially hurting more people.

Why did other HICP students wait? I’m disappointed that not more filed sooner. However, I am extremely proud of the 34, Dotherightthing, ConArtist, Pej, Poo, and Amata for standing up for what you believe in and knew what was right. These are the qualities that will make you all successful.

For students who will be applying to other schools, I hope schools will ask what you did at HICP and what your role was. I would hate to see the wrong pharmacist behind the counter, selling me out because he/she could make more money off of me. That's why I came to HI. It’s about the patient, the people, and the integrity of being of pharmacist.

I’m glad we had great PharmD roles models before they left. They knew when things were wrong and did the right thing as well.

It would be nice to get a full refund with interest. But whatever happens, if I don't get a penny back, at least its good to know I did the right thing.

SomeGuy said:

What the DCCA would need to do to collect from out-of-state accounts is have the case transcribed in the other state as needed, where the other state basically applies the same ruling. This should be rather easy, as the DCCA is a rather credible entity. The only bump I see is if the ruling only relates to a law that doesn't exist in the other state, such as HI's laws on unaccredited institutions.

-I thought like you at first, I also believe that HI jurisdiction only stayed withing HI. But it is not. The Corp. is based out of Nevada, and the defendents live in Kentuky. The way the judge and DCCA put it, it doesn't matter where the money is.

-This is true because past "College/Accreditation" cases the DCCA dealt with, most of the companies were out of state and they still had to pay.

-If you rethink what you are saying....then it's just SMART for any buisness to transfer ALL their ASSETS to a state they are not operating in...that why, they can't lose it.

J Lucas said:
You have got to give credit to Monroe and Criswell, this is one hell of a scam. I don't see any chance of jail time and its very likely that at least $1,000,000 of the students money was laundered already. NOT TO MENTION! they are about to attempt to do the same with a Dental school or even better try to run the Dental school legitmately with the scammed funds from the Pharmacy School. (This is known as money washing). Did anyone hear the term jail being used?

This is a civil case, so I don't think there will be any jail time disscussed here. However, there may be future CRIMINAL cases against them

quacker said:

Well, like we said, they are selfish, they only do things to benefit them. They find any reason to justify their reasoning. And like I said, I don't want these people to become future pharmacist.

There is a hearing set for tomorrow right? Can someone go and record it or let people know what happend on SDN.

M + C might try to pull a fast one tomorrow.

ucrsandstorm said:
There is a hearing set for tomorrow right? Can someone go and record it or let people know what happend on SDN.

M + C might try to pull a fast one tomorrow.
Seriously, they might. What the hell do they need to "survive". How about you sell your escalade you ass clown? Or sell one of your homes or condos, doosh.
Groceries dont cost $50,000. They shouldn't see a damn penny.

You would think that the ONE major newspaper in Las Vegas would be aware that the pharmacy school in Henderson (USN) has absolutely nothing to do with UNLV. Stupid writer... other than that, great story.. I'm going to enjoy watching RawSIN wiggle. How is he going to spin this one? My prediction, he severs ties with HICDM and continues his gaming commissioner duties.

JohnHICP said:
You would think that the ONE major newspaper in Las Vegas would be aware that the pharmacy school in Henderson (USN) has absolutely nothing to do with UNLV. Stupid writer... other than that, great story.. I'm going to enjoy watching RawSIN wiggle. How is he going to spin this one? My prediction, he severs ties with HICDM and continues his gaming commissioner duties.

I saw that too and this: The house (honolulu) is about five minutes from the dental school campus.

Isn't the dental school in Kapolei? That's about ...20ish mins away from Kapolei.

johnniewest said:
I saw that too and this: The house (honolulu) is about five minutes from the dental school campus.

Isn't the dental school in Kapolei? That's about ...20ish mins away from Kapolei.
Well, the writer has clearly never been to Hawaii, or is just stupid. He should have said Honolulu county, or Makakilo Heights (which is the neighborhood he lives in). Makakilo is just up the hill, 5 minutes away.

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news/4836720/detail.html

Hawaii College Of Pharmacy To Close

HONOLULU -- The Hawaii College of Pharmacy says it's shutting down.

The announcement was made Wednesday after a court froze the unaccredited startup school's assets in response to a state lawsuit.

The Office of Consumer Protection sued the school last month. It alleges the school falsely led students to believe it would soon by recognized by an accrediting institution.

The state also said the school wrongly accepted $28,000 in annual tuition from about 240 students.

Circuit Judge Sabrina McKenna on Wednesday granted a preliminary injunction against the school, indicating she believes the state would likely prove its allegations.

McKenna's move formalized a temporary freeze on the college's assets approved last week.

The school's dean -- H.A. Hasan -- said he's "extremely disappointed" by the injunction, noting it would force the school to fold.

johnniewest said:

From what I understand, HICP and HICDM share the same administrative mailing address. At least it was this way a few months ago.

"Burn In Hell"

I never knew you could make a username like that. Great name! I should have been more creative in my name. :laugh:

Please refrain from making threats or attacks on people. I know that some of you are very angry at the school, but this is not the place to make threats.

I also want to reiterate a point that has been made in this thread previously. You are not allowed to have multiple accounts on SDN. Multiple accounts will be closed, and if more continue to be made, then further action can be taken. Please do not make multiple accounts with the purpose of trolling or threatening people.

Thank you.

EVERYONE PLEASE JOIN ME IN MAKING THIS CASE A FEDERAL MATTER. I URGE YOU STUDENTS TO CALL THE FEDERAL TRADE CENTER AND COMPLAIN. THE NUMBER IS: 1877-382-4357, PLEASE CALL NOW. WE NEED TO GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INVOLVED SO THESE PEOPLE WILL NOT RUN AWAY. WE NEED MORE AND MORE PEOPLE, EVERYONE MAKE THE FBI GO FIND THESE CRIMINALS WHO RUINED OUR LIVES, CALL 1877-382-4357, GIVE THEM REFERENCE NUMBER, 6555404, AND YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY, STICK TOGETHER AND WE WILL WIN

I spoke to James Dooman of DCCA and he said that it would be difficult to contact students who filled complaints through their mailing address; therefore, he prefers to contact us by email. To all the HICP students who filled complaints against the school with DCCA, Please send an email to James Dooman of Consumer Protection with your email and contact info. His email address is [email protected]

Please pass this information along..

ML

Prescription runs out
for college of pharmacy
A ruling freezes the school's assets
for allegedly misleading students
By Stewart Yerton
[email protected]
A state judge dealt a fatal blow yesterday to the fledgling Hawaii College of Pharmacy, freezing the Kapolei school's assets pending the resolution of a lawsuit filed by the state.

Hawaii Circuit Judge Sabrina McKenna's ruling technically stopped short of shutting down the college. But Dean H.A. Hasan confirmed that the ruling "effectively (closes) the Hawaii College of Pharmacy."

The ruling freezes the assets of the college's parent company, Pacific Educational Services Co. of Nevada, and its founders, Denise Criswell and David Monroe, rendering the college unable to pay operating expenses.

The college had 123 students committed to return for their second year next month, and another 90 had opted to sit out a year and return for the 2006-07 school year, Hasan said.

Ruling against the college, McKenna said there was considerable evidence that Criswell and Monroe had illegally misled prospective students about the school, which is a central allegation of a lawsuit filed last month by the state Office of Consumer Protection based on student complaints. The office had received 34 complaints as of yesterday morning, an attorney for the state said.

McKenna said she did not believe the school's leaders had the wherewithal to receive the accreditations necessary for graduates of the college to practice as pharmacists.

"I don't think these people have the capacity to put it together," McKenna said.

In a written statement, Hasan said the college was "extremely disappointed by the court's decision."

Although the ruling freezes the college's assets, it does not provide what the Office of Consumer Protection ultimately seeks: restitution for students who paid $28,000 in tuition to attend the three-year doctoral program for a year. The Office of Consumer Protection still must convince the court that college administrators illegally deceived students.

But McKenna repeatedly said yesterday that it appeared the college and its founders had violated the law.

"It's ... pretty clear that the individuals engaged in unfair and deceptive trade practices," she said.

During the hearing, McKenna sought to determine the college's prospects for gaining accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education.

The college's attorney, Kelvin Kaneshiro, said the college was making progress toward accreditation, but could provide no guarantees.

"At this point, to give the court assurances, one way or another, on how the ACPE would rule is impossible," he said.

But Jeffrey Brunton, an attorney for the consumer protection office, said his interviews with the directors of the accreditation council had painted a bleak picture of the college's prospects.

"We wouldn't be here today if they were optimistic," he said of the council's directors.

McKenna gave several students a chance to speak at the hearing.

Benjamin Keroles echoed other supporters by asking the judge to give the school administration more time.

"I'm a firm believer that the school can and will over time be accredited," he said.

But Brandon Camp, the lone student speaking against the school, complained that he had given up the chance to attend pharmacy schools on the mainland based on empty promises from the Hawaii college.

"For a lot of us, we wouldn't have come to this school if we had known all the facts," Camp said.

Given the school's possibility of accreditation, Kaneshiro said freezing the school's assets was "too drastic a measure to take at this point."

But Brunton said the state was concerned that unless the assets were frozen, the college would not have enough money to pay back students if the court ultimately ruled in the state's favor.

Brunton said the college has a negative balance of more than $400,000 in a checking account, and said financial records indicate that the college had funneled approximately $500,000 in student tuition to the school's affiliated Hawaii College of Dental Medicine, which is under development.

McKenna expressed sympathy to students, saying that financial restitution alone could not compensate them fully for what they had lost.

"It's not just money; we're talking about years out of young peoples' lives," she said. "We're talking about broken dreams."

But McKenna said she did not want the students to go through more years of uncertainty with a college run by people with dubious credibility. McKenna took particular note of a college handbook that identified Monroe and Criswell as doctors.
Upon questioning from the judge, Monroe and Criswell acknowledged that they had not yet received their doctorates in education from Nova Southeastern University of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
"It's just so telling when people represent themselves as doctors, and they're not," McKenna said. "To me that's enough."

How do they have a negative deficit of 400K? They brought in 7 million the first year! I certainly know it is expensive to start a school ...and I know HI is an expensive place to live but sheesh.

HICP_STUDENTS said:
EVERYONE PLEASE JOIN ME IN MAKING THIS CASE A FEDERAL MATTER. I URGE YOU STUDENTS TO CALL THE FEDERAL TRADE CENTER AND COMPLAIN. THE NUMBER IS: 1877-382-4357, PLEASE CALL NOW. WE NEED TO GET THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INVOLVED SO THESE PEOPLE WILL NOT RUN AWAY. WE NEED MORE AND MORE PEOPLE, EVERYONE MAKE THE FBI GO FIND THESE CRIMINALS WHO RUINED OUR LIVES, CALL 1877-382-4357, GIVE THEM REFERENCE NUMBER, 6555404, AND YOU ARE ON YOUR WAY, STICK TOGETHER AND WE WILL WIN

I'd like to call but can you provide more details please. What is the reference number for? are there specific goals for our complaint? you can PM me or send me email at [email protected]. thanks.

pharmacology said:
How do they have a negative deficit of 400K? They brought in 7 million the first year! I certainly know it is expensive to start a school ...and I know HI is an expensive place to live but sheesh.
Is a "negative deficit" a surplus?

Im sure rent is quite a bit of money. Then you have utilities like electric. internet, etc. Then you have the salaries for the faculty, whatever it maybe. You have a 300 person banquet for your white coat ceremony. I can see where the money went.

Status
Not open for further replies.