OUWB vs Drexel (DUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yma106

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently waitlisted at OUWB and deferred at Drexel. I have already uploaded letters of interest after receiving these decisions recently. As the weeks go by, I am most likely going to be sending a Letter of Intent to one of them. Can you provide insight into which is the better school? Is it likely that I will get off the waitlist at these schools or is a WL considered a rejection? I am currently interested in surgery (working in ortho and I like it so far), so I definitely want to go somewhere where I can aim pretty high. I would appreciate all your feedback as I am pretty unsure as to what to do.

Oakland University William Beaumont:
Pros
  • Students seem very happy and supported in a younger school that is committed to being approachable
  • Partner hospital in Beaumont Health, one of the largest systems in Michigan
  • Service-oriented with a strong focus on mentorship
  • Surrounding area is very popular with Middle Easterns which is a nice support system to have during med school as an Arab-American!
  • Small class size (~125)
  • Also strong match list
  • Pass/fail

Cons
  • Tuition high ($60k, although they mentioned they give a lot of scholarships)
  • Newer school so smaller alumni network

Drexel:
Pros
  • Philly is a huge city with many opportunities/connections
  • Starting to focus on developing its clinical research program (have decent funding)
  • Strong match list
  • Virtual lectures
  • Pass/fail

Cons
  • Very expensive ($65k, unsure about scholarships)
  • Lost its main clinical partner so now all over the place for rotations
  • Huge class size (~300)
Truthfully, I would go to any of these schools if had the opportunity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would wait till you hear about financial aid packages. Then would choose based off proximity to family, Philly vs Oakland, and final COA. But the main rotation sites at both campuses have a home ortho program which is clutch can’t make a wrong decision

OUWB. They have great affiliated home programs. Drexel does not and will send you around the state for M3/M4. You will have one home base at OUWB

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I am currently waitlisted at OUWB and deferred at Drexel. I have already uploaded letters of interest after receiving these decisions recently. As the weeks go by, I am most likely going to be sending a Letter of Intent to one of them. Can you provide insight into which is the better school? Is it likely that I will get off the waitlist at these schools or is a WL considered a rejection? I am currently interested in surgery (working in ortho and I like it so far), so I definitely want to go somewhere where I can aim pretty high. I would appreciate all your feedback as I am pretty unsure as to what to do.

Oakland University William Beaumont:
Pros
  • Students seem very happy and supported in a younger school that is committed to being approachable
  • Partner hospital in Beaumont Health, one of the largest systems in Michigan
  • Service-oriented with a strong focus on mentorship
  • Surrounding area is very popular with Middle Easterns which is a nice support system to have during med school as an Arab-American!
  • Small class size (~125)
  • Also strong match list
  • Pass/fail

Cons
  • Tuition high ($60k, although they mentioned they give a lot of scholarships)
  • Newer school so smaller alumni network

Drexel:
Pros
  • Philly is a huge city with many opportunities/connections
  • Starting to focus on developing its clinical research program (have decent funding)
  • Strong match list
  • Virtual lectures
  • Pass/fail

Cons
  • Very expensive ($65k, unsure about scholarships)
  • Lost its main clinical partner so now all over the place for rotations
  • Huge class size (~300)
Truthfully, I would go to any of these schools if had the opportunity.
Ouwb had 7 ortho matches this year!

Seems like OUWB is the favorite?

Reactions: 1 users