DUCOM vs NYMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnowKones

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm currently waiting to hear back from both Drexel med and NY Medical College which are currently my top choices out of my II (still waiting to see if I get II from other programs). Since the interview season is wrapping up, I'm considering sending an LOI in the coming weeks to one of them to increase my chances of an A. Both schools are pretty comparable stats-wise. I've listed my personal pros/cons but would like to know which program you personally prefer and why.

DUCOM
Pros:
-New med building in downtown Philly (I prefer urban vs suburban)
-Very EC focused
Cons:
-Reputation following Hahnemann closure? (personally don't mind it too much, but more so how it might impact residency)
-Main campus appears to have rotating clinical locations for MS1/2 years

NYMC
Pros:
-Slightly better match list overall (pretty comparable for IM from what I saw)
-Affiliated hospital for didactic years

Cons:
-COL of NY (many MS1/2 students live in dorms on campus)
-Smaller school in a suburban location (not sure if it will give as much exposure to varying cases)

Important notes:
-I'm OOS for both schools, don't mind Philly or NY
-I received an A from a DO school that I would be happy to attend
-I plan to do IM, not any super competitive residency
-I'm fully aware of DUCOM's history with Hahnemann, and it truthfully doesn't bother me but open to hearing people's opinions

Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
These schools are quite similar. I think it comes down to where you see yourself living for the next 4 years. Which location would you be more comfortable living in? Do you have any family/friends in either location? Do you want to live in a city vs adjacent to one? (NYMC is 30-40 minutes by train to NYC).