Outside Recs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Corazon

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any opinions on whether or not having a PP physician that knows you personally putting in a "word" for you at a program is a good idea. This person trained at the particular program and they said they still have "close" ties to people there. I'm wondering if this can backfire and come across as trying to use a "good ol' boy" network. On the other hand I figure a good personal character reference can't hurt. Any thoughts. The program in question is not a top 5 program, but is probably top 15-20. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

That is the way most jobs are obtained - with personal connections.

i don't think that it can hurt.

i also don't think that it will help.

Corazon said:
Any opinions on whether or not having a PP physician that knows you personally putting in a "word" for you at a program is a good idea. This person trained at the particular program and they said they still have "close" ties to people there. I'm wondering if this can backfire and come across as trying to use a "good ol' boy" network. On the other hand I figure a good personal character reference can't hurt. Any thoughts. The program in question is not a top 5 program, but is probably top 15-20. Any thoughts?