New PCP Recs :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gozes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

This post is a bit random... In less than a few months I will be starting as a PCP for the first time. Aside from board studying/taking boards ive taken a decent bit of time off after residency from when I start working. (For which I do not regret!) Though that being said, Does anyone have any recommendations on resources to go over/peruse before starting? I was thinking about just compiling a list of the most common diagnoses in primary care and making my own evidence based review of each subject? (though that sounds like more work than im willing to want to do..) Maybe looking at some AAFP articles? I just want to keep the cogwheels from rusting. I guess I could continue to go over board material but Im so sick of looking at that information lol.

Any input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone!

This post is a bit random... In less than a few months I will be starting as a PCP for the first time. Aside from board studying/taking boards ive taken a decent bit of time off after residency from when I start working. (For which I do not regret!) Though that being said, Does anyone have any recommendations on resources to go over/peruse before starting? I was thinking about just compiling a list of the most common diagnoses in primary care and making my own evidence based review of each subject? (though that sounds like more work than im willing to want to do..) Maybe looking at some AAFP articles? I just want to keep the cogwheels from rusting. I guess I could continue to go over board material but Im so sick of looking at that information lol.

Any input is appreciated.
trust your training. refer when appropriate or if the patient is getting antsy. if you are an academic internist at a large reputable center, you may have more leeway to be more "complete" and "by the book." If you are in private practice, just remember the three As of private practice (Availability, Affability, and Accountability).

Whereas in academics, one can say something like "do you always give what the patient wants? get that patient outta here. you're firreeedddd" for poorly behaved patients, you might have issues down the line one acts that way to similarly poor behaved patients in private practice due to how word of mouth spreads in the community.

check out the PCP jobs thread a few spots down. Although it was somewhat in jest, many of the nuisances I listed are things you definitely encounter. It was not a complaint thread. I actually listed how I deal with those situations in a productive way (at least better than fire the patient lol) It came across as funny but I actually do tackle those issues in the way I listed. It