Outlook for Orthopaedic in 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CampUnity

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read the following in the American Journal for Bone and Joint Surgery and they indicated that there will be a surplus of orthopaedic surgeon in 2010. How do orho residents feel about this issue?

Abstract:

On the basis of an analysis of the supply of and demand for orthopaedic surgeons, we projected that there will be 21,134 full-time-equivalent orthopaedists in the year 2010 if training continues at current levels. We estimated a demand-based requirement of 17,012 full-time-equivalent orthopaedic surgeons, indicating a surplus of 4122 full-time equivalents. In terms of orthopaedist-to-population ratios, we estimated that there will be 7.5 full-time-equivalent orthopaedists per 100,000 population in 2010 compared with a demand-based requirement of 6.0 full-time equivalents. However, we did not include estimates of the demand for orthopaedic surgeons as assistants in the operating room in our model. If an assistant orthopaedic surgeon is required for all procedures, an additional 3906 full-time-equivalent orthopaedists would be demanded, thus eliminating the surplus. The demand for an assistant orthopaedic surgeon in only half of the procedures would still lead to a sizable reduction in the surplus.

J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1998 Mar;80(3):327-30.

Members don't see this ad.

I did a study of my own showing that by 2010, the author of that publication will still have a small penis.

Members don't see this ad :)
that article is dated. it is common knowledge today that there will be a shortage for all areas of medicine in the future. the predictions that occurred in the 90's were done with flawed assumptions and underestimated the future need. if i were you, i would look up some more recent publications COGME's 16th report and the AAMC 2006 statement on physician workforce.

Isn't the geriatric population going to almost double in 10 years? I was under the impression that there will be a great number of hips and knees to be replaced when the baby boomers reach their 60's and 70's?

its just another person trying to scare the **** out of people applying for ortho.

I did a study of my own showing that by 2010, the author of that publication will still have a small penis.

I know I'm digging up a thread that is starting to fester, but...

this was gold.:laugh::laugh::laugh: