Out of state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crabbygas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello pharmacists, I have a question. Lets say a doc routinely calls in a med for a regular patient and said patient happens to be traveling to a different state at the moment. Can the doc call in the med to a big chain in the home state and the patient then ask the chain to transfer it to a store in the state she has travelled to for pick up? For the sake of discussion it's not a controlled med.

Members don't see this ad.

You call the nearest pharmacy where the patient will pick up the med even if you are not licensed in the state for a noncontrolled. This wouldn't violate practice boundaries in either your state or the patient's state if temporary if you document to your own state's standards.

Reactions: 1 user
The answer to your question is yes. But why make more work for the pharmacy? Just call it in to whatever pharmacy the patient wants to pick up at.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The answer to your question is yes. But why make more work for the pharmacy? Just call it in to whatever pharmacy the patient wants to pick up at.
Jeez Owlegrad, that would just be too straight forward and involve too much common sense. God forbid the MD have to break a ritualistic habit of doing the same damn thing every time

• Haha
Thanks for all the responses. Not interested in making more work for anyone. Just trying to save a patient from having to go to an urgent care when she needs a prescription in a state her regular doc isn't licensed in. Figured I would ask the experts.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for all the responses. Not interested in making more work for anyone. Just trying to save a patient from having to go to an urgent care when she needs a prescription in a state her regular doc isn't licensed in. Figured I would ask the experts.
Her doctor doesn’t need to be licensed in the state she is visiting. No issue at all with calling it in to that pharmacy. Happens all the time all over the country.