Out of state screening for U of H

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TTSD

Sexually Deprived
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How does the out of state screening process for the University of Hawaii occur? Is it through a computer and specific GPA cut off?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TTSD
How does the out of state screening process for the University of Hawaii occur? Is it through a computer and specific GPA cut off?

THe $creening proce$$ depend$ on $omething important. However, I ju$t forgot what it i$.

$orry.

Originally posted by TTSD

I'm not totally sure how they do it. I am out-of-state, have no direct ties there, and I got a secondary and an interview. I have heard they look at your interest in primary care and especially working with the underserved. I think that is why I probably got the interview there, but I am really not sure. If anyone else knows, I'd be curious to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,

I am out of state too. I already interviewed, and the Dean told me all about the screening process:

So, it's based on a point system, and there is a total of (I think) 21 points you can get, and as an out-of-stater, you need at least 14 to get UH to look at you.

You can get 1 or 2 points extra for GPA (I think 1 pt for 3.5-3.7 and 2 pts for 3.75+ but it's kinda fuzzy from memory). If memory serves, I think that they do reward you for improvement in your GPA.

You get extra points for working while going to school, research experience, pot-bacc research and clinical experience. I think post-bacc GPA is somehow factored in as well.

You get extra points for your MCAT score (don't remember the breakdown)

You also get extra points for your residency status. One point each is awarded for the following: being born in Hawaii, having your parents live in Hawaii, having gone to high school in Hawaii, having gone to college in Hawaii and I think the last one was having your legal state of residence be Hawaii, but I don't really remember.

I think I must have forgotten something, but that should give you an idea of the things they look at. Best of luck!

Okay, thanks Lessisome! That actually helps a lot.

Originally posted by lessismoe

You get extra points for your MCAT score (don't remember the breakdown)

I asked a 2nd year student about the breakdown. You can receive 1 pt for each section on which you receive at least a 10.

I just got recieved my secondary from them last week. does that mean I passed the screen, or do they send em out to everyone? I am out of state by the way........

That breakdown sure helps a lot... I just kept crossing my fingers. I don't know how I made up those points though because my stats aren't very good and I have zero ties to Hawaii, but I guess it happened somehow because I just sent off that secondary.

And yes... receiving that secondary is passing the first screen... good luck!