out of state for texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Touche. But by the time you ARE in, I'll have you Pavloved to the point where you'll shiver at the mere mention of said town;).

hahaha I have never seen someone use Pavlov as a verb... the psychology major in me loves it. I'm trying to acclimate myself to coldness.. last night when I took my dog outside, I had on a tshirt and the guy I date was like are you crazy, it's freezing! I was like nope, just getting used to it haha

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha I have never seen someone use Pavlov as a verb... the psychology major in me loves it. I'm trying to acclimate myself to coldness.. last night when I took my dog outside, I had on a tshirt and the guy I date was like are you crazy, it's freezing! I was like nope, just getting used to it haha

Haha thanks. Psych is in the top cluster of my fav specialties. Really only took behavioral neurology in undergrad, but it was fascinating. I'm sure he was amazed at your premed dedication, at least that's the complimentary spin. What kind of dog do you have?

Haha thanks. Psych is in the top cluster of my fav specialties. Really only took behavioral neurology in undergrad, but it was fascinating. I’m sure he was amazed at your premed dedication, at least that’s the complimentary spin. What kind of dog do you have?

I have a beagle mix. She's crazy! Speaking of psych, I think she has dissociative identity disorder... so many different personalities!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a beagle mix. She's crazy! Speaking of psych, I think she has dissociative identity disorder... so many different personalities!

Oh now, IIRC from my days at the Humane Society, beagles are supposed to have sweet dispositions haha. Does she have that funky bark? She's a mix, so maybe she decides to be beagle one day, and pit bull the next....hehe.

BTW, Happy Holidays everyone!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=V_bfskNU5OA

Hilarious video choice... here's my rebuttal:
http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2007/07/texan-infected-.html?csp=34
(my microbiology professor actually sent our class this article the day I got my interview invite to UTMB)

Lol!! Nice shot. I remember that too. SOM said 152 news outlets broadcasted that story. I'll have you know that thanks to UTMB, that man is not only alive and well, he kept his leg too. Necrotizing fasciitis? Puhlease...no prob. What do they treat at Strong Memorial? Heart attacks? That's soooooo '90's....yawn.

Lol!! Nice shot. I remember that too. SOM said 152 news outlets broadcasted that story. I'll have you know that thanks to UTMB, that man is not only alive and well, he kept his leg too. Necrotizing fasciitis? Puhlease...no prob. What do they treat at Strong Memorial? Heart attacks? That's soooooo '90's....yawn.

Haha you are talking like I'm having the chance to choose b/w the two of these places... I wish!

Happy holidays by the way! For me, Christmas = Movies + Chinese food... aka the biggest Jewish outing that occurs once a year :laugh:

You'll probably be glad (but maybe kinda sad) to hear that I'll probably be giving up my UTMB acceptance.

Merry Christmas to all!

Haha you are talking like I'm having the chance to choose b/w the two of these places... I wish!

Happy holidays by the way! For me, Christmas = Movies + Chinese food... aka the biggest Jewish outing that occurs once a year :laugh:

Yeah, I'm being silly...the competitor in me thinks its fun. Besides, I couldn't bash your home school, and GWU wouldn't be as much of a challenge:). I really do hope you get Roch, of course.

Thanks. My family can't get together till this weekend, so I've got a few more days. Frankly, your xmas sounds a lot like ours haha. Mmmm...shrimp fried rice. What movies did you see? Did ya have a good Chanukah present haul this year?

haha I laugh everytime I see fried rice, I think about Bacillus cereus... dang microbiology professor! Oh well, it's still tasty. I'm not really sure what movie we're seeing yet. The girl in me wants to see P.S. I Love You... but dad and brother say no way.

As for Chanukah, it was during finals week so I wasn't home for it, which is usual. I never really ask for anything for Chanukah, because I feel like my mom buys me enough stuff during the year when I come home from school. Plus, I told my dad, I'm kinda holding out for summer so I can get a new computer... and maybe one year of tuition? haha

I'm not really sure what movie we're seeing yet. The girl in me wants to see P.S. I Love You... but dad and brother say no way.

Alien vs. Predator! fun holiday fun for everyone!!! :D

You'll probably be glad (but maybe kinda sad) to hear that I'll probably be giving up my UTMB acceptance.

Merry Christmas to all!

Glad for the possible spot, though not entirely sad, so yeah just glad. haha, j/k realmd. Though can instate spots go to oosers?

Oh yeah, merry christmas to all!

Who'd want to live in smelly ol' Texas anyways?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi dd! Haven't seen you around in awhile... happy holidays!

Hi dd! Haven't seen you around in awhile... happy holidays!

I know, I ate six boxes of christmas cookies, a dozen lemon bars, and an extremely large quanity of chocolate three days ago and just woke up in a ditch a few miles from my house....:confused:

Glad for the possible spot, though not entirely sad, so yeah just glad. haha, j/k realmd. Though can instate spots go to oosers?

Oh yeah, merry christmas to all!

Well, if the cap is at 10%, I don't think they always fill it up, so it could definitely go to you! :p

I know, I ate six boxes of christmas cookies, a dozen lemon bars, and an extremely large quanity of chocolate three days ago and just woke up in a ditch a few miles from my house....:confused:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I didn't take micro, but everyone says its more effective than any diet program out there:). I've been in a bit of a movie drought. I think the last one was Transformers, and it was disappointing. How was your flick? Shootin' for a tablet PC? If your parents paid tuition, they'd have to sell the house and move in with you...I wouldn't give them any ideas haha.

I just caught my cat batting a Cadbury egg around the house. Nobody messes with my eggs, so it was DEFCON 1 around here for a few minutes. Needless to say, it won't be happening again. *spits out wad of fur*

Shrimp Fried Rice (simple, classic)
Kung Pao Shrimp (shrimp+spicy=goodness)
Mongolian Beef (beef and onions…doesn't get much manlier than that)

With that much sugar, between the ditch and your house there were a few orbits of Venus. Either that, or you might want to google yourself for photos taken during your "missing time" episode...haha. Happy holidays.

Haha so the movie... our neighbors called us and said they were going out to their son's house that night, so we should go w/ them. So we decided to rent a movie instead. Premonition or whatever its called. Well, we have outside speakers that are hooked up to the same system the inside ones are, and for some reason, when you play a movie, the sound is outside as well. So the cops came over cause some old person complained haha. It was hilarious. There were 2 cops, and they were talking to my dad and one was like "Sir why do you have outside speakers???" and my dad was like "Uh, cause they sell them at Best Buy?"

Should I want a tablet PC? The girl that sat in front of me in biochem last year had one, I dunno if I'm too keen on them. And as far as tuition goes... I keep seeing all these posts about staying at your state school to save money and now I'm torn... Please Rochester or UTMB take me so I don't have to make this decision!!

They sell Cadbury eggs right now??? Ugh, my favorite. Although, last night, my neighbors had these things they call Buckeyes which were awesome. Its peanut butter (sorry dd) mixed w/ rice krispies cereal formed into a ball, and then that is dipped in chocolate. So good.

And I'm currently a fan of Chicken/Veggie Lo Mein. But I'm glad you pick your Chinese based on the manliness factor.

Yeah I didn't know the cadbury eggs were out either! I wait all year for the easter bunny to bring them!

Yeah I didn't know the cadbury eggs were out either! I wait all year for the easter bunny to bring them!

So do you end up in a ditch around that time too? :laugh:

No usually I'm good about my sugar needs (I'm pretty healthy normally :p) However the comforting effects of chocolate seem to be helping me during this ordeal.

Ok and I was wondering, it's possible that there just aren't that many out of state people on sdn, but it doesn't seem like the schools have sent out that many acceptances!

Ok and I was wondering, it's possible that there just aren't that many out of state people on sdn, but it doesn't seem like the schools have sent out that many acceptances!

I'm thinking that there's just not that many OOSers on sdn... but I hope to be proved wrong!

With a little tweaking, you guys could have a drive-in theater haha. The cops probably got back in their car and were like, "Ya know, we oughta get some outside speakers for our houses, that's pretty cool."

I don't know much about them. Some schools actually require tablets. The convertible ones aren't that expensive. We have a married couple that has matching tablet PCs *pause here for you to "Aw..."*.

Actual tuition is more complicated than that of course. Those private schools give out enough aid to make them competitive most of the time, and the OOS schools charge OOS tuition for what, one year? Who knows what each school will offer you. Then there's COL differences, etc. Thse Buckeyes sound gooood.

Some dishes are just naturally so. You'll notice a select few have a Tx Rangers badge icon near them on the menu...these are Chuck Norris approved. Mongolian beef is one. I'm afraid the Veggie Lo Mein doesn't cut it.

They were on sale at Walgreens last week, only at the checkout counter (for xmas). I loaded up.:)

Actual tuition is more complicated than that of course. Those private schools give out enough aid to make them competitive most of the time, and the OOS schools charge OOS tuition for what, one year? Who knows what each school will offer you. Then there's COL differences, etc. Thse Buckeyes sound gooood.

Some dishes are just naturally so. You'll notice a select few have a Tx Rangers badge icon near them on the menu...these are Chuck Norris approved. Mongolian beef is one. I'm afraid the Veggie Lo Mein doesn't cut it.

It's just that GW costs are ridiculous... I think 3rd year w/ tuition, living, etc. is about 71,000 bucks. I know, pocket change.

And about the lo mein w/o a Chuck Norris stamp of approval... good thing I'm not a dude.

Oh and also, UTMB acceptance for me = brownies and buckeyes for you. Inform Dr. Thomas.

It's just that GW costs are ridiculous... I think 3rd year w/ tuition, living, etc. is about 71,000 bucks. I know, pocket change.

Well no, that's insane. I'm sure you've already looked at the usnews debt/FA comparisons, but here it is anyway...
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...du/grad/webextras/brief/sb_med_debt_brief.php

Not apocalyptic, but that's for c/o 2005. Who knows how much it has changed for us. Obviously, your UTMB debt would also be higher because you'd be OOS for I think one year?? Those are just avg's of course, too bad they don't give ranges. Question becomes who thinks most highly of you in terms of scholarships, grants, etc. There's also lists of how schools structure their aid, under "School Trends".
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex_brief.php

Chuck gives girls a pass on this one, 'cause even Chuck would admit he's not tough enough to be a woman.

Also sucks that my state school has a rather high IS tuition (OOS tuition for it is ridiculous). Oh well.

Chuck gives girls a pass on this one, 'cause even Chuck would admit he's not tough enough to be a woman.

Cheers to that. And don't get me wrong... I do love me some spicy food. Hunan Beef = spiciness galore = delightful.

Love of spicy food... yet another reason UTMB should take me.

Haha...a few weeks ago I walked to the FA office to get my scholarship check ($5000). Somehow I managed to lose it on the way back to my apt (if you heard a faint, rumbling "NOOOOO!" sound around then, that was me). I spent 45 min backtracking, but couldn't find it. The office was gracious of course, and cancelled/reissued me another, but man I felt like a complete *******. All this money talk just reminded me of it.

Ok, so what's the scorecard for Mo/GW? Is it love vs money?

Love of spicy food... yet another reason UTMB should take me.

Haha, for someone with two acceptances, you sure seem desperate:p. I guess the novelty of the first has worn off haha.

Yeah regarding all the financial stuff, as great as it would be to be back in texas I'm not sure if I'd want to shell out the extra dough of being out of state. Then again they are just loans, why care about money you won't have to pay back for a few years right? :cool:

Yeah regarding all the financial stuff, as great as it would be to be back in texas I'm not sure if I'd want to shell out the extra dough of being out of state. Then again they are just loans, why care about money you won't have to pay back for a few years right? :cool:

i was told that virtually all OOS students get a 1k scholarship and instate tuition. the deans wouldn't promise 100% but every student i talked to said that every OOS student they know has this deal. it looks promising!

i was told that virtually all OOS students get a 1k scholarship and instate tuition. the deans wouldn't promise 100% but every student i talked to said that every OOS student they know has this deal. it looks promising!

Good to know, I had heard something about it at utmb. I didn't know if all the schools were the same.

You wouldn't happen to have decided about any of your texas schools yet would you? I happen to be waiting on some of the ones you've been accepted to :p

I remember someone mentioning at UTSW that because of their FA package, OOS ended up paying the same as instate. Also had heard rumors about it being a state-wide thing, which I guess is true...nice.

I remember someone mentioning at UTSW that because of their FA package, OOS ended up paying the same as instate. Also had heard rumors about it being a state-wide thing, which I guess is true...nice.

Yeah, it's a nice loophole guaranteed to all OOS UTSW students. $1,000 scholarship = in-state tuition. I didn't know that all schools tried to do it for everyone. If more OOS knew about this, OOS spots in Texas would be SO competitive. :eek:

Yeah, it's a nice loophole guaranteed to all OOS UTSW students. $1,000 scholarship = in-state tuition. I didn't know that all schools tried to do it for everyone. If more OOS knew about this, OOS spots in Texas would be SO competitive. :eek:

True that, they must not be that competitive if they're giving lacrosse interviews! :p haha

.....or for that matter even me...

True that, they must not be that competitive if they're giving lacrosse interviews! :p haha

.....or for that matter even me...

Uh oh. *clears out of saloon* *cue spaghetti western theme*

myKudu... you sure you don't wanna stay and watch??

Nah... kidding. I wouldn't stoop as low as dd. :smuggrin:

haha jokes. I'm full of them :D

Ok, so what's the scorecard for Mo/GW? Is it love vs money?

Haha, for someone with two acceptances, you sure seem desperate:p. I guess the novelty of the first has worn off haha.

Honestly? I'm trying to figure out the scorecard myself. Luckily I have 5 months. Missouri and GW are very similar in my mind. But so far this is some of what I've come up w/...

Pros of Missouri: cheaper, smaller class size, shorter days, 10/10 rule (10 hours lecture, 10 hours PBL)
Pros of GW: better technology (i.e. histo lab on the computer, computerized mannequins like at UTMB), nicer hospital, don't know a soul, opportunities
Cons of Missouri: Missouri (haha kidding... but seriously.), knowing a lot of people in the class already, University Hospital
Cons of GW: $$Cha-ching$$, looooong days, might be harder to get a good residency back in MO, $$$$$$

You wouldn't happen to know anywhere I can find out board scores or match lists would you? Besides asking the school themselves, that is...

You wouldn't happen to know anywhere I can find out board scores or match lists would you? Besides asking the school themselves, that is...

I'm surprised they didn't give out the lists in their int packets. Doubt you'll find the board scores. Here's the matchlists. GW's is only one, and its partial...pretty much useless. Careful reading these things...its an art form not easily if at all masterable, yet very seductive:laugh: Read the class threads in Allo if you haven't already. If I have time later I might play devil's advocate with your pro/con list.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187352

myKudu... you sure you don't wanna stay and watch??

Nah... kidding. I wouldn't stoop as low as dd. :smuggrin:

haha jokes. I'm full of them :D

yeah mykudu, you don't want to watch me get beat up by a girl :oops:?

lol, I kid because I care :laugh:

I'm surprised they didn't give out the lists in their int packets. Doubt you'll find the board scores. Here's the matchlists. GW's is only one, and its partial...pretty much useless. Careful reading these things...its an art form not easily if at all masterable, yet very seductive:laugh: Read the class threads in Allo if you haven't already. If I have time later I might play devil's advocate with your pro/con list.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187352

Yeah I checked my folders yesterday, but nothing. I'm guessing cause their scores are probably just average. Oh, and devil's advocate away... I could use all the help I can get!

yeah mykudu, you don't want to watch me get beat up by a girl :oops:?

Just as long as you know that I'd be victorious, I'm down. :D

A few ?'s

Were people enthusiastic about their school?
Why do you think you'd like pbl, especially as done by Mo?
Is GW all day lecture? If so, do they make it easy on people not to go to class, or is it "strongly encouraged"? Would you feel guilty not going to lecture:)?

A few ?'s

Is GW all day lecture? If so, do they make it easy on people not to go to class, or is it "strongly encouraged"? Would you feel guilty not going to lecture:)?

Enthusiasm: For MO, it was hard to tell as I only met 2 students (tour guides). One was an M1 and she seemed to be happy, the other seemed like a somewhat grumpy M2. For GW, the students I met during lunch were nice. I met the M1 class president, so of course he was overly excited. The other interviewees were a lot more talkative than at MO, but who knows if that's correlated to the class profile.

PBL: Because I think it works. If I learn something, but then hear someone else present it in a different/unique way, I tend to remember it more, as well as if it is presented in relation to something tangible. All the schools I applied to have some aspect of PBL just because I don't think I could do straight lecture anymore.

Lecture: I got a typical MS1 Fall Semester schedule when I visited GW and MWF is pretty much scheduled from 8-5. Histo lecture from 8-10, Histo lab from 10-12, Anatomy from 1-3, Anatomy lab from 3-5. Tuesdays you have their course called Practice of Medicine from 8-10, PBL from 10-12, and their class called Doctor, Patient, Society from 1-230. Thursdays you do "Clinical Apprenticeship Program" in the morning (only every other week... you either have DPS or CAP in a week, never both, so technically either T or R is a half day), and then have Neuro from 1-4. It also notes that lectures may actually be shorter than what is listed. I need to PM a student that goes there to see if lecture is required.

For MO: M- 1 hr lecture, 3 hours PBL, 2 hours Intro to Patient Care
T- 1 hour lecture, 2-3 anatomy lab
W- 1 hour lecture, 3 hours PBL
R- 1-3 hours of lecture
F- 3 hours PBL, 1 hour for case wrap up

A few ?'s

Mykudu forget attractiveness of the opposite sex? ;) Very important in deciding which school to go to. I also saw some post about coed locker rooms, that's pretty high on the list also.

I also saw some post about coed locker rooms, that's pretty high on the list also.

Seeing that thread reminded me of the episode on Scrubs... you're shocked, I know :rolleyes:... when they are in the locker room and Elliot wants to change but is being looked at and JD whispers "They want you to dance"

Oh Scrubs, how I love thee.

Keep in mind that I'm not incredibly familiar with the two schools, and that I'm only going on what you've told me on here and what I think I can intuit between the lines. Whatever you do, keep it simple, look at the big picture, and don't overANALize it.

Money: Depends on your FA. If it looks like the difference in grad debt will be anything like that on usnews (20-25k), I wouldn't let this be that big of a factor. If substantially more, then ok.
Smaller class size: irrelevant
Preclinical curriculum: Mo might have the upper hand here for you, though if you can study well during the day instead of going to lecture (or during) at GW, the time diff would be mitigated, and it depends on what Mo's pbl study load is. Labs don't usually take the whole time (at utmb at least). If you didn't like lecture in undergrad, you'll find it absolutely worthless in med school. If you can email students, ask them what a typical week for them is really like. Could you easily adjust to either?
Tech: Depends on how its implemented, but since you can't really know that, lets give GW a small + for this one.
Hospital: no idea.
Residency: Well, you might have a better shot at a MO res, but that's hard to say, four years away, and I don't know that I'd make much of a deal of it.
Location/classmates: Ok, do you realize you just listed two components that make up probably 90% of the flavor you're going to be marinating in for the next four years as cons for Mo? We've already established that you want to travel, go places, meet people, etc. NOW is the time….it only gets harder as you age. DC is the capital of planet Earth. After exchanging posts with you for awhile, I bet it would eat at you at least a little if you stayed at Mo, as it should. The excitement, novelty, and stimulation of starting a new chapter could mean a lot during the intensity and grind ahead. Huge ++++ for GWU.

Mykudu forget attractiveness of the opposite sex? ;) Very important in deciding which school to go to. I also saw some post about coed locker rooms, that's pretty high on the list also.

Fun fact: For the UTMB campus as a whole (all 4 schools), the F to M ratio is over 2:1...and its a smaaaall campus;). Our student body also has a rep for being pretty good looking (for med students). In fact, our class prez was a beauty pageant winner and former cheerleader. How do we rank now, usnews? :cool:

Fun fact: For the UTMB campus as a whole (all 4 schools), the F to M ratio is over 2:1...and its a smaaaall campus;).

Well you've officially sold me on utmb. However that fact may not be as appealing to lacrosse...unless there is something she forgot to mention about herself :p