Our CPJE Question Bank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueclassring

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To help those getting ready for the CPJE, I'll start a thread highlighting my studies from the APhA book. Note I have not taken the CPJE yet. I will post questions every day. This can be one source of our study group, particularly since we can't meet in person. Since a lot of questions are based on "real world" experience, I'll focus questions to these types of questions. Note, I made up these questions!

1. What is the dosage interval for Zileuton?
A. QD
B. BID
C. TID
D. QID

2. What is the dose of Singulair for a 7 year old?
A. 4 mg
B. 5 mg
C. 10 mg

3. Which leukotriene modifier is dosed bid?

a. Zafirlukast
B. Zileuton
C. Montelukast

4. Which inhaled corticosteroid is dosed hs?
A. Beclomethasone
b. Flovent
C. Azmacort
D. Asmanex

5. How are mast cell stabilizers dosed?
A. QD
B. BID
C. TID
D. QID

6. Which of the following is a DPI?

A. Foradil Aerolizer
B. Aerobid
C. QVAR
d. Azmacort

7. Which systemic corticosteroid for the treatment of asthma is found in both tablet and liquid form?
A. Medrol
B. Prednisone
C. Prednisolone

8. Short acting b-agonists like Albuterol and Pirbuterol are dosed?
A. q4h prn
B. q6h prn
C. q8h prn

9. Which of the following would be complaint of a patient taking Intal?
A. I get a funny taste when I take it.
B. My heart races when I take it.
c. I get really bad headaches.
d. I get a stomach ache

10. Last one for tonight. A patient is told by her doctor that her liver function tests are out of whack? Which asthma medication could be cause for concern?
A. Intal
B. QVAR
C. Zileuton.
D. Theophylline

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1. The following Rx comes into your pharmacy

Luminal 15 mg/5 ml. Take 120 mg/d po bid.

The Rph should call the physician and correct the:

A. Name of the drug
B. The adult dose is incorrect.
C. The dosing interval is incorrect.
d. Route of administration should be corrected

2. Counseling should be given regarding dental hygiene when this drug is dispensed.

A. Phenobarbital
B. Zarontin
C. Phenytoin
D. Topamax

3. A patient comes to your pharmacy and asks about a seizure drug that has an ADE of weight loss. Which drug is she referring to?

A. Tiagabine
B. Ethosuximide
C. Gabapentin
D. Topamax

4. Valproic acid comes with the following FDA black box warnings. What about Tegretol? What about Felbamate?
A. Pancreatitis and renal toxicity
B. Renal toxicity and aplastic anemia
c. Hepatotoxicity and Aplastic anemia
D. Hepatotoxicity and pancreatitis

5. Which is an appropriate counseling point for Gabapentin?

a. Avoid excessive sunlight
b. Take on an empty stomach.
c. It may decrease the effectiveness of birth control
d. May discolor urine.

6. Which of the following is an appropriate warning for Lamictal?
a. Notify your MD if you experience excessive weight loss.
b. Notify your MD if you develop a skin rash.
c. Notify your MD if you start to develop a nagging cough.

7. What is a black box warning that Zonegran carries?

8. While reviewing a patient's profile in the pharmacy computer, the Rph sees the patient is taking Nardil. Which seizure medication is contraindicated for the patient?

A. Tegretol
B. Zarontin
C. Felbamate
D. Valproic acid

9. Intravenous phenytoin should be prepared using which diluent?
A. D5W
B. NS
C. Banana Bag
d. D5-1/2 NS

10. What is the maximum infusion rate that phenytoin can be given? Cerebryx?
a. 25 mg/min
b. 50 mg/min
c. 100 mg/min
d. 150 mg/min

11. A patient tells you they have a sulfa allergy. Which medication should they not be given?
a. Luminal
B. Tiagabine
c. Ethosuximide
d. Zonegran

Last edited:
1. A physician dispenses Streptomycin 150 mg X 7 d PO for a patient with an IBW of 100 kg. The Rph tells the patient has an ADE of nephrotoxicity. Which of the following is incorrect about the scenario?

A. The dosing is incorrect
B. The route of administration is incorrect
c. The ADE is wrong for this medication.

2. Which aminoglycoside is only available PO? IM?

A. Amikacin
B. Neomycin
C. Streptomycin
D. Tobramycin

3. Which aminoglycoside has the broadest anitimicrobial activity?

A. Neomycin
B. Amikacin
C. Streptomycin
D. Kanamycin

4. Which aminoglycoside would be appropriate for decreasing the bacterial content of the bowel?
A. Gentamicin
B. Netilmycin
C. Kanamycin
d. Amikacin

5. A physician is concerned about the ototoxicity for one of his patients. Which of the following aminoglycosides is the least ototoxic?
A. Netilmycin
B. Gentamycin
c. Amikacin
D. Tobramycin

6. A physician orders Gentamicin by IV and wants extended interval dosing. What dosage is appropriate per day?

A. 50 mg/kg/day
B. 15 mg/kg/day
C. 7 mg/kg/day
D. 3 mg/kg/day

7. Which of the following penicillins does not have to be renally dosed?

A. Amoxicillin
B. Oxacillin
C. Pen V
D. Carbenicillin

8. Amoxicillin is typically dosed
A. Q8H
B. Q6h
c. q4h
d. Q12h

9. Which of the following is not an ADE electrolyte problem with penicillins?

A. hypokalemia
B. hypernatremia
C. hypocalcemia

10. Which of the following is the correct dosing for Augmentin? Timentin? Zosyn? Unasyn?

A. 3.1 g IV q6h
B. 3.375 g IV q6h
C. 3 g IV q8h
d. 500 mg PO tid

11. Cholestatic jaundice is an issue with which of the following penicillins?

A. Zosyn
B. Ticarcillin
c. Pen VK
D. Unasyn

12. A patient is allergic to penicillin. The patient is receiving several antibiotics. Which is a potential concern for cross-sensitivity?
A. Zyvox
B. Tetracycline
C. Cefdinir
D. Septra

13. Which cephalosporin has antipseudomonal activity?

A. Ceftriaxone
B. Loracarbef
C. Ceftazidime
D. Cephapirin

14. Which cephalosporin can lead to bleeding problems because of low thrombin levels? Which one does not require renal dosage adjustment?

A. Cefoxitin
B. Cefmetazole
C. Ceftazidime
D. Cefoperazone

15. Myelosuppression is an issue with which antibiotic?

A. Vancomycin
B. Synercid
C. Linezolid

16. QT prolongation is an issue with which class of antibiotics

A. Aminoglycosides
B. Penicillins
C. Tetracyclines
D. Fluoroquinolones

16. Hyperbilirubinemia and arthralgias are an issue with which antibiotic?

A. Vancomycin
B. Synercid
C. Linezolid

17. The maximum infusion rate for vancomycin is

A. 500 mg/1 hr
B. 250 mg/1 hr
C. 500 mg/30 min
D. 250 mg/30 min

18. Levofloxacin is given to a patient in the ICU. Which of the following medications can increase the QT interval and lead to Torsades?

A. Mexiletine
B. Sotalol
C. Profofol
D. Propranolol

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for all the Qs...
can anyone put the answers to them as well so we can check my accuracy?
Thanks!!!

I don't want to post answers because you'll be forced to look it up. Any there may be multiple answers to some questions.

I am taking CPJE in 3 weeks,I was originally scheduled for next week but after giving Naplex last week ,I reallised that I am not ready.

if you read my posts NInah, I highly suggest taking the CPJE in less than 2 weeks after the NAPLEX. Even better, in about 7 days after the NAPLEX. Why you ask? Because you'll forget everything you studied for the NAPLEX. The NAPLEX is like a similar test, and I am sure you did fine. Less math on the CPJE, a lot less. If you took your prenaplex and passed, I am almost sure you passed NAPLEX, because they correlate very very well. In fact, prenaplex gives you a much lower score than the naplex.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Blueclassring
Can you please give the answers to questions 5&8 for anticonvulsants?I do not seem to find the right answer.
Thanks

Im 9th in the League and 1915th overall. I lost Szavay, Kirilenko, Lopez, and Nishikori in the 1st 2 days. And lost Mathieu today. I didnt have Kirilenko in my team until the very last moment. I had Kanepi but took her out.

Im 9th in the League and 1915th overall. I lost Szavay, Kirilenko, Lopez, and Nishikori in the 1st 2 days. And lost Mathieu today. I didnt have Kirilenko in my team until the very last moment. I had Kanepi but took her out.

???

could someone explain this question from the PSI/CPJE packet?

49. A prescriber wishes to purchase acetaminophen with codeine 60mg for office use, which of the following is true?
A. the rph cannot make this sale
B. prescriber must write a rx for himself
C. prescriber must complete a dea form 222
d. the sale must be documented with an itemized invoice

through POE, the obvious answer is D, which is also the correct answer.
a- i guess the rph can
b- prescriber cannot write rx for himself, only for family and friends, patients
c- dea form 222 is to be used if one pharmacy or a prescribers office wishes to order CII drugs from a given pharmacy. pharmacy basically acts like a supplier and executes forms in the same manner as a supplier would

but what is this itemized invoice? are there restrictions on this?
if not, i guess ill just memorize this.. lol...

the only way a doctor office can receive medications from pharmacy is via invoices (not prescription pad). so they cannot fill a script out where they write 'for office use'.

i could be completely wrong on this since i have never seen this done in my retail experience.

The invoice should be detailed enough to list lot numbers, quantity of drug, contacts, blah blah ... since the pharmacy is essentially acting as a distributor and the doctor is taking on the role of dispenser (whether it is for office or take home use)

Question of the day:

Can a technician fax prescription copies to another pharmacy? Does there have to be direct pharmacist to pharmacist communication when a prescription is transferred?

Question of the day:

If a theft takes place in your pharmacy, how long do you have before you report it to the DEA? the Department of Justice? The STate Board of Pharmacy?

If a Physician assistant writes a prescription, does the physician have to sign as well? What requirements are there for this particular prescription?

I take the exam on October 16. I believe I am prepared. I've made lots of study charts from the APha book and am using Weissman for the law portion. Also studying the health notes and the Script Newsletters to study. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

Two weeks of hardcore studying to go.

i am taking my test a week from today on the 10th ... i hope i will be ready ... i just finished breezing through my school notes to grasp concepts that are void in the APHA, i also focused on my kaplan book ... right now i am rereading the law portion (Weissman), online health notes, and scripts.
I still need to do a quick run through the APHA (last time i read that book was 2 months ago) ... I will be using the kaplan to top off before the exam.

Good luck blueclassring ... and thanks for the test sampler :p

question -
for those with the weissman pharmacy law book from USC, how many questions are the practice questions in the back of the book? how many pages is the book?

i am actually using weissmans lecture notes to study and debating whether or not to buy the darn book

thanks

~150 difficult questions in the book

330 pages of actual material. it is an easy read (2 days worth).

i have both the lecture and the book and can honestly say that the lecture is lacking critical material. it might be sufficient for someone with prior exposure to california law through school and also worked in a california pharmacy their whole intern career.

quick edit: BUY THAT BOOK!

~150 difficult questions in the book

330 pages of actual material. it is an easy read (2 days worth).

i have both the lecture and the book and can honestly say that the lecture is lacking critical material. it might be sufficient for someone with prior exposure to california law through school and also worked in a california pharmacy their whole intern career.

quick edit: BUY THAT BOOK!

Thanks for the advice. Only way to get the book is through USC right? Would you happen to know if USC provides expedite shipping??

another law question -
a patient goes to pick up his meds. a clerk hands him someone else's med. the patient walks out the pharmacy and notices that its someone else's meds. he immediately brings it back. he has not consumed the meds.
Does this constitute a medication error? Any reporting(like to FDA, BOP) required?

Thanks for the advice. Only way to get the book is through USC right? Would you happen to know if USC provides expedite shipping??

another law question -
a patient goes to pick up his meds. a clerk hands him someone else's med. the patient walks out the pharmacy and notices that its someone else's meds. he immediately brings it back. he has not consumed the meds.
Does this constitute a medication error? Any reporting(like to FDA, BOP) required?

Your pretty good at guessing possible cpje questions. On a side note, the self assesment forms on the bop's web site are very helpful. I would def look into those, I had at least 5-10 questions that could be answered by reading them.