OUCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ebola Virus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm counting down the days to when class starts in 2009. This thread is for all who are accepted to OUCOM. Feel free to comment and post your experience of OUCOM. Hope to know some of you before class begins! :D

Members don't see this ad.

You know, I had thought about starting this page just a few days ago but didn't (in the middle of finals this week here at OU). I'm glad that you started it; we really should get to know one another. After all, in less than a year, we will all become classmates and hopefully good friends. I've heard (not confirmed yet) that the class has already grown to just shy of 40, so hopefully most of them hop on this board so that we can meet one another.
Talk to you soon.

Ah, well, great minds think alike. Good luck on your finals. :luck: I sure hope more people would join in, as I was thinking that most of the action we get on the pre-med DO, were those people that interviewed the same date that you and I were invited to. I definitely want to keep in touch as well as meet some other folks who are going to OU before class starts. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what have you done to get ready for next fall? My wife is so sweet; she bought me a stethoscope the week after my acceptance. A few weeks back, I completed my BLS at a regional hospital close by. Over the next few quarters, I plan on some intense biological studies, including anatomy/histology and immunology. I am very excited for next year. OU has quite a good reputation of turning out excellent students (well equipped when it comes to dealing with the "human" part of medicine). My wife is an RN at a hospital in the next town over and alot of the doctors there have good thoughts about OU.

Just curious, what have you done to get ready for next fall? My wife is so sweet; she bought me a stethoscope the week after my acceptance. A few weeks back, I completed my BLS at a regional hospital close by. Over the next few quarters, I plan on some intense biological studies, including anatomy/histology and immunology. I am very excited for next year. OU has quite a good reputation of turning out excellent students (well equipped when it comes to dealing with the "human" part of medicine). My wife is an RN at a hospital in the next town over and alot of the doctors there have good thoughts about OU.

Your wife sounds so nice to have given you a stethoscope (before Christmas). Well, you deserve it, since gaining acceptance to med school is no small feat. Since I've graduated last year, I don't have any classes to take. So with the free time I've got, I'm just volunteering at the ER and clinics, traveling out of the country, and reading up on some books ahead of time. Oh, I'm also looking for places that I could live while in Athens. Do you remember what those apartment complexes (up the steep hill) are called...subdivision name or something? It's not part of the University right? I just want to know how much rent might cost and how far in advance I need to start looking into an apartment. Well, I'm still scoping the area out by internet since it takes a while for me to drive there.

The apartment complex up the hill is the University Courtyard (website http://www.ucourtyardathens.com/home.asp ). The places look nice from the outside and I believe they have a bus service to and from campus on a regular basis. However, I am not sure as to the caliber of students that traditionally live there. I know that it is not as bad as some portions of town and I seldom hear of the cops being called out there for anything, so there may be more "serious" students living there. The website will probably provide much more information than what I can share. I drive past it almost each day on the way to McDonalds to pick up a much needed coffee. Across from that complex, they are currently building another huge complex but I am unsure if the same company owns the newer ones. From what I hear, there is a complex closer to the med school that traditionally houses grad and med students, but I would have to look around and find that complex's name. Either way, there are plenty of places to live in Athens and within the surrounding communities (if you don't mind a little bit of a drive each day).

Actually I don't mind driving, because if I recall correctly, if you live within a mile away from OU campus (not necessarily a mile away from OUCOM), you cannot have a commuter pass. You brought up a good point about the caliber of students in some areas, since it has raised a couple of eyebrows among my friends when I mentioned going to OU, as I'm not the party type of person. But thank you for that website, I think it will tremendously help me in making a decision on where to live during my two-four years there. But hey, if I do decide to live in the University Courtyard, at least it wouldn't be too far to get a McDonald's cup of coffee for those early mornings otherwise I'll :sleep:.

Sadly, OU is known for only a few things: the "haunted" Ridges and Halloween weekend. I also am not the party type. In fact, I'm 39 years old with two teenage boys. However, I do try to remember the wonderful comments that physicians make about how well-prepared OUCOM students are when they are released during third-year. My wife's grandfather's primary care physician is an OUCOM graduate and she feels that OU is one of the best DO schools in the country (both her opinion and her fellow physician's feedback). I think that we've got alot to look forward to.:soexcited:

Hey guys!
I'm interviewing at OUCOM on Friday. I go to school in Iowa, and have never been to Athens or OU. Any advice?

Sorry, been out of commission for a few days. Anyway heart4service, I'm sure that you figured out from your interview on Friday that the key is to relax and have fun with it. Plus, make sure that you get a piece of Ho-Ho cake. Most of the faculty and staff at OUCOM are very down-to-earth and generally interested in your personality and life experience. OUCOM usually lets everyone know of their status on the Monday after your interview, so you will have to keep us posted. Hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Happy New Year! Also, I hope all of you get signed on to our forum that Ginny sent out.

Is no news on a Monday, bad news? as in rejection?

Hi, is anyone here looking for a male roommate? Im looking for others who would like to share a 2 or 3 bedroom apt close to campus.

Hey and guys/gal enjoy your time before school start..it'll be here before you know it.. I'm finishing up my first year right now at OUCOM.. 10 more weeks woohoo! looking forward to meeting your class..go class 2013..
my name is Phuc Nguyen btw..and yes i am on facebook so feel free to add me..
cya yal around

The place across the street and up on the other hill from University Courtyards is called the Summit but I believe they don't have any leases starting until September. I've heard of a lot of students living in The Plains but can't find much online for that area. Also, if you live in University Courtyards you can't get a commuter pass to drive to school...you either have to walk, which the hill going back home would be rediculous to walk up, or take the bus. Hope that helps a little.