otolaryngology info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbv

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all--as of late I have become interested in otolaryngology-ENT, and I was just wondering about the different types of procedures that are performed in this specialty. I know that a large area involves treatment of head and neck cancers, but I was wondering about the breadth of the field and what other types of cases and procedures are performed (particularly in the head and neck). I'm a bit more familiar with the "E" part of ENT than the other aspects :) Also, if anyone could provide any other information pertinent to the field, its future, how to prepare during med school, etc. it would be MUCH appreciated. Sorry this post is kind of long (and sorry about my lack of knowledge) but I've just become very interested in this specialty. Hopefully neutropeniaboy will respond :) but anyone else with any infomation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

check out this site. i'm not applying for ent, but seems informative for those who are. hope this helps.

http://pub75.ezboard.com/botolaryngologyresidencyapplicants

btw, bee thousand is a classic album, fo' shizzo. my fave track's gotta be echos myron. brings back memories of my freshman year in college :) good to see a fellow indie rocker.

The future of otolaryngology is exceptionally bright. With improving diagnostic tools and "microtechnology" (I guess, I can't think of a better tem), otology is going to advance at a faster pace than the "nose" and "throat" will. However, given experiments with immunotherapy, intensity modulation RT, and electroporation, head and neck cancer treatment is going to become interesting.

The field is fairly diverse, despite the fact that it is a subspecialty. You can subdivide otolaryngology into neurotology, rhinology, allergy and immunology, laryngology, head and neck plastics, head and neck trauma, general otolaryngology, and pediatric otolaryngology. So, as you can imagine, there's plenty of things to do after residency.

How to prepare for the residency in medical school: get good board scores, good grades, blah, blah, blah. That will get you the interview. After that, you have to have had done something that makes you unique. If you think that getting 250 on Step I and getting AOA makes you unique, guess again. EVERYBODY intervewing for ENT has that kind of profile. How many applicants can say they co-wrote a chapter in a book or participated in clinical or basic science research? How many applicants can say they ran a popular website or something like that? Above all this, you have to prove that you'll fit in with their philosophies. It's a character test on the interviews.

Good luck.

from what i've seen at the hospital i work at, our 3 ent's case loads consists of mainly t&a's, lumpectomies, septoplasties, removing foreign objects from children's ears and noses (not too many throats, that usually calls for endo docs via bronchoscopy), various sinus surgeries (lots of grafts for membrane deformities as well), removal of bony spur (nasal, duh) guess you'd be looking at primarily ambulatory surg. and rugrats. :D hope this helps.

toodles

Hey everyone--thanks a lot for the info provided so far--it's been really helpful and a good starting off point for me to find out more about the specialty. Just wondering Dolly, what exactly is "t & a"? Anyway, thanks to all, and additional information is certainly welcome.

Digimon--thanks for the website link--there were some pretty useful things on the boards. And btw, that's awesome that you're into that kind of music. I love GBV to death (as one can probably tell right away). On Bee Thousand I really love Hardcore UFOs and Queen of Cans and Jars, and Echos Myron does rule--but that whole album really just rocks period.

buh-bye!

oh, t&a is a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy.
hey, good luck btw!!

Hello,
I do not know if this is the right room to post this but I hope someone can answer my question:

A month ago I had a tonsillectomy. I have lost almost 95% of my taste senses. I can not taste anything. Is this normal? Is this permanent? I have not been able to find a lot of info on this and my doctor seemed a little puzzled and thought maybe the clamp on my tongue during surgery damaged some nerves. She seemed to think it would come back but I dont think she really knows.

Thanks for taking the time too answer my questions!

-Derek

HI EVERYBODY MY NOSE HAS BEEN RUINED BY A BAD RHINOPLASTY;I NEED A FUNCTIONAL RHINOPLASTY AGAIN FOR RETURN TO BREATH;WHO IS THE BEST IN THE WORLD THAT CAN HELP ME?
[email protected]