Other Impactful Experience vs. Adversity Essay conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kkrossy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I wrote about a certain life event in the “Other Impactful Experiences” section of the primary application, but I’m really conflicted on whether it’s appropriate to include in this section or whether it should be saved for the adversity essay in secondaries.

Without going into too much detail, I wrote about how a close family member stole the college savings that another family member had put away for me. I was living in a low(ish)-income (~50k/yr) single parent household, so if I still wanted to afford college I had to be proactive and resourceful in applying for grants and scholarships, and getting work study because my parents couldn’t support me.

I just don’t know if this experience is “major” enough to include in the impactful experiences section. I definitely did not grow up rich, but I never had to live in poverty, work full-time to support my family or worry about food or housing insecurity. However, I’d like adcoms to know that I did grow up with struggles, and that I didn’t have rich parents that were able to pay for college.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read

I think you can decouple your suggestion: Can you talk about living in a single-parent household for OIE? I think you can talk about the issue of having to work to support yourself in college as "adversity" without going into your own family economic challenges.

Hi everyone,

I wrote about a certain life event in the “Other Impactful Experiences” section of the primary application, but I’m really conflicted on whether it’s appropriate to include in this section or whether it should be saved for the adversity essay in secondaries.

Without going into too much detail, I wrote about how a close family member stole the college savings that another family member had put away for me. I was living in a single parent household, so if I still wanted to afford college I had to be proactive and resourceful in applying for grants and scholarships because my parents couldn’t support me.

I just don’t know if this experience is “major” enough to include in the impactful experiences section. I definitely did not grow up rich, but I never had to live in poverty or worry about food or housing insecurity. However, I’d like adcoms to know that I did grow up with struggles, and that I didn’t have rich parents that were able to pay for college.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Read

I think you can decouple your suggestion: Can you talk about living in a single-parent household for OIE? I think you can talk about the issue of having to work to support yourself in college as "adversity" without going into your own family economic challenges.
Read

The post you linked is really helpful thank you! I’ll definitely try to decouple those two ideas, but do you think I would run the risk of being redundant if I use my family situation as the response to multiple essays and prompts?

Members don't see this ad :)
The post you linked is really helpful thank you! I’ll definitely try to decouple those two ideas, but do you think I would run the risk of being redundant if I use my family situation as the response to multiple essays and prompts?
Read

I cannot say because I don't know what prompts you have to answer. How are you describing your family situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.