General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anthonyrizzo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I'm currently planning on applying to OT school this year once application periods open. This will be my second year applying, as I had no luck last year, unfortunately. There are a variety of reasons why I believe that I didn't get in, but one of the reasons is definitely my GPA. My undergrad GPA was just a tick below 3.1, but when OTCAS calculates it, it's about 2.95 because of a couple of C's and a D that I retook for higher grades. So my question is, am I just out of luck for most programs that use OTCAS? I find it odd that they average the two grades together when my university replaces the lower grade with the new grade. To combat the low OTCAS GPA I'm retaking a couple of prereqs to boost my prereq gpa to about a 3.4-3.5. Anybody have any ideas or advice for dealing with this? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
mine was lower too- annoying. isn't it overall gpa has to be 3.0? can the classes you're retaking bump it up? if not scratch the programs that require the 3.0 minimum. there are still a few on otcas that require a 2.7 so look at those.

Yeah it is overall 3.0, that 2.95ish GPA is with the assumption that I get a bump from these retake classes. Currently I am looking for programs that have a 2.7 minimum and schools that don't use OTCAS (there aren't many and they're tough to find) because my GPA meets the requirement without OTCAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were any of the classes you had to retake science classes? During the graduate information session for Sacred Heart University's MSOT program one of the candidates asked if retaking a class reflected badly on them as a candidate. The person from SHU asked them if it was a science class, because "if you struggled with science in undergrad, you are really going to struggle with it in grad school and that's a concern." Regardless, make sure your personal statement is compelling -- you want to stand out. Make them want to know more about you, regardless of your stats. Good luck!

Last edited:
How do you put your transcripts into OTCAS?

The school providing the transcript needs to mail it directly to OTCAS. There's an address and instructions available on the site.

I'm having trouble figuring out where to find my OTCAS GPA. All of my coursework was verified back in December and I received the email that my GPA would be made available back then. FAQ says to select the GPA option to the right of the screen, but I don't see anything like that. Could this be a glitch in the system or am I missing something?

I'm having trouble figuring out where to find my OTCAS GPA. All of my coursework was verified back in December and I received the email that my GPA would be made available back then. FAQ says to select the GPA option to the right of the screen, but I don't see anything like that. Could this be a glitch in the system or am I missing something?
Go to your application status then download the PDF of any program you applied to. It'll be on the last page of your academic history. :)

Reactions: 1 user
OTCAS seems to really hurt people who didn’t have stellar records all the way through school. It’s unfortunate.