General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Houston Jan 10th 9 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like we will be in the same session!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I haven’t been accepted anywhere. This year so far I’ve interviewed at Georgia state. I have an interview at TWU in January. And an interview at West Coat University in April.

I have an interview for west coast in April too :)

Have you heard back from Touro University?
Yes, I heard back from Touro University earlier this week for an interview. I am still trying to decide on accepting the interview offer or not because the tuition is really expensive there. Did you hear back from Touro? Good luck with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!
I got an interview invitation on December 1st for Belmont's regular admissions OTD program and was wondering, for those of you who have gone through the interview process with Belmont, if you have any advice on questions to think more thoroughly about. Also, were the interviewers teaching faculty members, just administration chair, both, etc. who interviewed you? Thanks in advance!

Hi all!
I got an interview invitation on December 1st for Belmont's regular admissions OTD program and was wondering, for those of you who have gone through the interview process with Belmont, if you have any advice on questions to think more thoroughly about. Also, were the interviewers teaching faculty members, just administration chair, both, etc. who interviewed you? Thanks in advance!

I interviewed at Belmont in November it was great! You're interviewed by 2 professors for 10 minutes each. They asked questions like why OTD over MSOT, what is an example of a time you failed in a leadership role and what could you have done better, describe a time where you displayed empathy, and a couple others. There's also an on site essay but that's a response to an article.

Hi guys!

Just wondering- has anyone who interviewed at Chatham heard anything yet?

Hi guys!

Just wondering- has anyone who interviewed at Chatham heard anything yet?
I recieved an acceptance offer this morning so they are definitely starting to give them out! Good luck!

Applied: Gannon U, Slippery Rock U, Chatham, Pitt
Rejected:
Accepted: Gannon (Declined), SRU (Declined), Chatham (Going to attend!)
I have not recieved any news from Pitt yet.

Last edited:
Applied: Gannon U, Slippery Rock U, Chatham, Pitt
Rejected:
Accepted: Gannon (Declined), SRU (Declined), Chatham (Going to attend!)
I have not recieved any news from Pitt yet.
Congrats!!! I actually did too like 20 min after I posted that lol and am pretty sure I’m going to attend!

Congrats!!! I actually did too like 20 min after I posted that lol and am pretty sure I’m going to attend!
Oh my gosh! I am excited to meet ya :) Congrats to you too!

Hey Guys, has anyone interviewed for West Coast University OTD Program? I received an interview invite for March 1st and was looking for some insight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine is the same date/time too!!! I’m trying to get all the tips and pointers for this interview!

Yes, I'm wondering how the interview portion is set up!

Does anyone know which/if any of these specific schools need emails notifying that you've sent your official transcripts with Fall 2018 grades? I updated my grades manually, and my transcripts are still on hold to be sent by my University. I got reminder emails from a few of them, but not sure if I should explicitly tell them I updated everything. I applied to: Rush, Midwestern, UIC, Uw-Madison, Uw-Milwaukee, Carroll, Lewis.

Okay I still haven’t either! But since I know there is a final interview coming in January I really hope to hear soon! Let me know when you do!

I havent heard anything after being waitlisted. I’m hoping to hear something soon!

Hello All! I am so happy to have found this thread!! I interviewed with TTUHSC in December, and was wondering if anyone has heard back from them?

Hi there! I have an interview this upcoming week at TWU and was wondering if anyone who has previously interviewed there can give me some tips on what it was like? I have read that part of it is sort of like speed dating... do they ask you these questions in front of the other individuals being interviewed? And were the questions hard? Same with the writing portion?

Has anyone interviewed at UAB yet? I just got an email from them today saying my interview is on the 25th! Any tips?

Last edited:
Has anyone interviewed at UAB yet? I just got an email from them today, stating my interview is on the 25th! Any tips?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using SDN mobile

I have an interview on the 25th as well. It’s the only interview day because I was suppose to be out of state for a wedding but had to make arrangements to be at interview. Hoping someone has interviewed there before and has tips.

I have an interview on the 25th as well. It’s the only interview day because I was suppose to be out of state for a wedding but had to make arrangements to be at interview. Hoping someone has interviewed there before and has tips.
I heard the interviewers are very friendly and make you feel really welcome. I got invited for an interview but am really conflicted because I have another interview that day that I bought a nonrefundable plane ticket for (can't be changed) and UAB told me there won't be an alternate interview day. Pretty bummed right now.

Hello All! I am so happy to have found this thread!! I interviewed with TTUHSC in December, and was wondering if anyone has heard back from them?
Hi!

I interviewed with them in mid-October, and was notified regarding acceptance by late November. It took about 5 weeks!

Hi!

I interviewed with them in mid-October, and was notified regarding acceptance by late November. It took about 5 weeks!
Thank you! I actually just heard back from them, I was given alternate, so hoping a spot becomes available. But congratulations on the acceptance

Wanted to join this thread!

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Dominican University, AT Still, Midwestern AZ, Loma Linda, MCPHS, University of Mary, West Coast University
Will be applying soon: St Augustine Fl & San Marcos, Stanbridge
Interviews: AT Still (2/1), Midwestern AZ (1/15), Loma Linda (1/7), Samuel Merritt (1/12)
Have not heard back: Dominican University, MCPHS, University of Mary, West Coast University (still have one pending coursework, they said they will wait before inviting to interview)

I don’t have the best stats, but I’m so glad I got invited to interview at my top schools so far!

Major: BS in Kinesiology from SJSU
CGPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.7 depends on school
Last 60: 3.3
GRE: 148, 148, 4.5 (
Will retake Feb but most schools I applied to don’t require)
Observation Hours: 70 hrs Hospital Inpatient Stroke/TBI, 48 hrs Outpatient Hospital, 21 hrs Nursing home, 80 hrs Hand Therapy, 70 hrs Pediatrics, 35 hrs Mental Health Facility
Experience & other volunteer hrs: Oral surgery assistant for 7 yrs. 45 hrs at Mental Health Facility leading support groups & classes, 100 hrs Teaching/A Matter of Balance Coach, 1000+ hrs Teacher at Sunday school, others 20+hrs
Letters of Rec: 1 from anatomy professor, 1 from my surgeon employer, 2 from OT’s, 1 from teaching supervisor

I really don’t have the best stats, but I think my volunteer hrs at many different settings (5-6 OT settings) definitely helped me land interviews! And I worked so hard on my personal statement as well. It’s not all about the GPA/GRE scores. Show that you are passionate and have lots of diff experiences & they’ll likely give you a shot!

Hoping I can get in somewhere!!! This is my second year applying. Only applied to one school last year which was definitely silly considering my stats! Did anybody else interview at AT Still & Midwestern AZ? Any tips?? I would actually want to get out of CA & move elsewhere, like AZ! *fingers crossed*

Wow, if that's their only interview day I'm curious how many will be there.. Kind of intimidating, but isn't the whole process? Sorry to hear about the conflictions! I'll see you there.

I heard the interviewers are very friendly and make you feel really welcome. I got invited for an interview but am really conflicted because I have another interview that day that I bought a nonrefundable plane ticket for (can't be changed) and UAB told me there won't be an alternate interview day. Pretty bummed right now.
I'm sure you've already done this, but I would definitely weigh out which is more important to you! A pros and cons list always helps me. Best of luck to you.

Wanted to join this thread!

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Dominican University, AT Still, Midwestern AZ, Loma Linda, MCPHS, University of Mary, West Coast University
Will be applying soon: St Augustine Fl & San Marcos, Stanbridge
Interviews: AT Still (2/1), Midwestern AZ (1/15), Loma Linda (1/7), Samuel Merritt (1/12)
Have not heard back: Dominican University, MCPHS, University of Mary, West Coast University (still have one pending coursework, they said they will wait before inviting to interview)

I don’t have the best stats, but I’m so glad I got invited to interview at my top schools so far!

Major: BS in Kinesiology from SJSU
CGPA: 3.3
Prereq GPA: 3.6-3.7 depends on school
Last 60: 3.3
GRE: 148, 148, 4.5 (
Will retake Feb but most schools I applied to don’t require)
Observation Hours: 70 hrs Hospital Inpatient Stroke/TBI, 48 hrs Outpatient Hospital, 21 hrs Nursing home, 80 hrs Hand Therapy, 70 hrs Pediatrics, 35 hrs Mental Health Facility
Experience & other volunteer hrs: Oral surgery assistant for 7 yrs. 45 hrs at Mental Health Facility leading support groups & classes, 100 hrs Teaching/A Matter of Balance Coach, 1000+ hrs Teacher at Sunday school, others 20+hrs
Letters of Rec: 1 from anatomy professor, 1 from my surgeon employer, 2 from OT’s, 1 from teaching supervisor

I really don’t have the best stats, but I think my volunteer hrs at many different settings (5-6 OT settings) definitely helped me land interviews! And I worked so hard on my personal statement as well. It’s not all about the GPA/GRE scores. Show that you are passionate and have lots of diff experiences & they’ll likely give you a shot!

Hoping I can get in somewhere!!! This is my second year applying. Only applied to one school last year which was definitely silly considering my stats! Did anybody else interview at AT Still & Midwestern AZ? Any tips?? I would actually want to get out of CA & move elsewhere, like AZ! *fingers crossed*

Hi! I got accepted to both AT Still & Midwestern and both are amazing schools!

AT Still: For the interview, they use the same questions for all of their applicants (except the OTD had a few questions individual to them). I compiled a bunch of interview questions from previous AT Still forums and luckily, I was asked many, if not all, of the questions that I practiced. So I think they stick with the same questions?? The interview was 30 minutes long

Midwestern: They give you 30 minutes for the interview. They asked me 5 questions (not standard across the board compared to AT Still). A few situational. Since they only asked me 5 questions, I finished answering them within like 10 minutes. I think what helped me was that I spend a solid 20 minutes asking and talking about their research and areas of specialization.

I think I applied to many of the schools you listed so if you have any questions about the Samuel Merritt or Loma Linda interview, or if you want to ask me more questions about AT Still and Midwestern, feel free to DM me!

Heard from Samuel Merritt last night (Sunday 11/18) at 9pm. What a bizarre time to send out interview invites! Is this normal? I know someone else got accepted at SJSU on a Sunday! Don’t these people have time off??

I got rejected by Samuel Merrit 3 weeks ago on Dec. 21 which was before Christmas. I heard you were accepted there. Can you provide your GPA and volunteer number of hours so that I can get an idea?

UPDATE:

University:
George Mason University
Major:
Kinesiology w/ minor in psychology
Overall GPA:
3.64 (OTCAS)
Pre-Req GPA:
3.7 - 3.8 (depending on the program)
GRE:
Q 145 V 153 AW 4.0 (extremely worried about my scores)

Work Experience:
Currently working full-time at a pediatric center for Autism. I work as a tutor/aid to children with Autism who are non-verbal. In the past, I have done many long term internships as a physical trainer in sports performance gyms.

Observation:
275 total hours. (200 in a pediatric setting and 75 in an outpatient hand therapy setting)

References:
2 OTs, 1 internship supervisor, 1 employer

Applied: VCU, James Madison University, Shenandoah University (both campuses), Nova Southeastern University, University of St. Augustine (st.augustine and miami campus), Texas Tech, Davenport University, University of New England

Acceptances: University of New England!!! (12/14)

Waitlist: Texas Tech (12/22)

Rejections:
n/a

Interviews: Texas Tech (11/15), University of New England (12/10), Nova Southeastern (video interview)
, University of St. Augustine (2/1)

I'm sure you've already done this, but I would definitely weigh out which is more important to you! A pros and cons list always helps me. Best of luck to you.

I actually got it worked out! The other school had an alternate interview day and my mom talked Delta into changing my ticket for me, so I'm relieved!

I actually got it worked out! The other school had an alternate interview day and my mom talked Delta into changing my ticket for me, so I'm relieved!
That is wonderful news!!! :) I'll see you there!

Last edited:
Hi!

How was the interview? what kind of questions were asked? if you don't mind me asking. I have an interview with them this Thursday and I am so nervous.

How was the interview? what kind of questions were asked? if you don't mind me asking. I have an interview with them this Thursday and I am so nervous.

The interview went by really quick, but the faculty were so nice and approachable! Common questions were “define OT” and a lot of behavioral questions like “tell me about a time of conflict, etc. It was a super relaxed and educational experience, just relax and know why you want to be an OT! :)

The interview went by really quick, but the faculty were so nice and approachable! Common questions were “define OT” and a lot of behavioral questions like “tell me about a time of conflict, etc. It was a super relaxed and educational experience, just relax and know why you want to be an OT! :)
Thank you so much, that is super helpful. We'll see how it goes. :)

I haven’t been accepted anywhere. This year so far I’ve interviewed at Georgia state. I have an interview at TWU in January. And an interview at West Coat University in April.

Hey I saw you got your undergrad in Arkansas? do you still live in Arkansas? I know of two new programs starting up, I am going to try for one because my overall isn't the highest either

Hey I saw you got your undergrad in Arkansas? do you still live in Arkansas? I know of two new programs starting up, I am going to try for one because my overall isn't the highest either

Yes I still live in Arkansas. Which programs are you looking at?

Wow you all are awesome! My stats on paper aren’t quite as impressive (forever regretting not taking college seriously my first semester, lol) but I’m hopeful my experience will help me. This is my second year applying.

College: University of Central Florida
Major: Exercise Science and Human Performance
Last 60 GPA: 3.7
Overall: 3.18
Pre-req GPA: 3.6
GRE: 4.0 AW, and somewhere in the 140’s for both other sections. Can’t remember exactly. Standardized tests aren’t my thing :(
Experience:
1) 100+ observation hours under a few different OT disciplines including pediatric, general outpatient, hand therapy, and lymphedema care in OT.
2) 6 month internship working for a special school for students with neurological disorders such as autism and cerebral palsy. I spent my days there helping them practice their everyday functions such as sitting, standing, independently toileting and eating.
3) currently working for Florida Hospital as an exercise physiologist! :) The population I work with is mostly neuro based, but I see ortho as well. I work as an extension of the PT/OT’s continuing patient therapy when they get discharged due to insurance reasons or plateau. I also assist the PT/OT’s with modalities such as E-Stem and Ultrasound. 3 days a week I teach aquatic therapy classes through Florida Hospital as well, where I mostly work with patients with arthritis or post CVA.

I haven’t fully decided everywhere I want to apply yet, but I know for sure I will be trying Nova Southeasten and Shenandoah University (I got wait listed this past round, maybe second times a charm!). Any recommendations on which schools to focus on based on my experience I’d appreciate! My husband and I are very willing to move out of Florida.

I have similar stats and was wondering if you’d heard back yet!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have similar stats and was wondering if you’d heard back yet!!

I’ve gotten 2 interview offers, waitlisted to 1 school, and rejected for 1. Still waiting to hear from one more!

Hi! I applied to two BS/MS OT Programs! I am currently at Ocean County College in NJ!
Major: Science with a Social Science Concentration
Overall GPA: 3.8
Prerequisite GPA: 3.8
Didn’t have to take GRE to apply to the BS/MS OT Program
Observation hours: 1,000+ hours in outpatient pediatrics; 30 hours in acute care geriatric!
Work Experience: Sales Associate, Assistant Teacher, and currently an Occupational Therapy Aide & Activities Assistant.
I applied to TJU & LIU and got interviews for both!

Hello everyone! I just got accepted into Brenau’s hybrid day program but still have a couple more interviews for St. Augustine in Miami and West Coast OTD
Has anyone had interviews for these programs yet and have any feedback ?:) Thanks!

Yes I still live in Arkansas. Which programs are you looking at?

I am currently applying to one in Missouri and then the new doctorate at the University of Arkansas that starts next January but it isn't accredited though that is the downfall for this program. I also heard there is a new one starting in 2021 I think but I don't want to wait that long in Ft smith

Major: Double major in psychology and sociology
Overall GPA: 3.72
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: 158 V 150 Q 4.5 W

Experience: 2.5 years as a therapist on an autism unit at an inpatient psychiatric hospital
1 year as a classroom therapist
90 hours shadowing at acute inpatient, outpatient hand therapy, and pediatric

Volunteer: Daycare project in Costa Rica
Baby holder at a pediatric hospital
Facilitated talking groups in impoverished neighborhood

Applied: OSU, Chatham, Pitt, UNE, Gannon, Salus, U of the Sciences, Temple, TJU, UIC, Salus, Messiah, Widener
Interviews: UNE, Salus, Widener (declined), Messiah, Chatham, OSU (phone)
Rejections: none
Accepted: UNE, Gannon, Salus, U of the Sciences, Messiah

Last edited:
If West Coast's interviews for MOT seem to be starting in April around which month will they send out admissions decisions?

I’m sure the one at U of A will be accredited. It’s a really big school. University of central Arkansas also has the doctorate, and they will go off your last 60 hours GPA if your cumulative is your concern.

No, it won't be accredited until the first class graduates is what I was told and I can only really look in Fayetteville Arkansas and Springfield Missouri due to my childcare with my son. The University of Arkansas told me they will look at my last 60 hours also so I am just going to apply to both schools and go from there and see what happens. You?