General Admissions & OTCAS OTCAS 2018 - 2019 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is my first post so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right (lol) but has anyone else heard from Belmont yet? I interviewed with them on 11/16 and am waiting to hear back... I know he said by the end of this week but I'm just curious

I just got an email today about being deferred. So, I bet you will hear soon

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE

Applied: UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, WashU, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), St. Ambrose, AT Still, University of South Dakota, St. Catherine's, Belmont
Interviews: St. Ambrose (10/19), Midwestern (10/23), Belmont (11/16), AT Still (declined)
Acceptances: Wash U, Belmont
Rejections:

Reactions: 1 users
Wow congatulations on your acceptances!! When did you hear back from WashU and when did you send in your app?
I sent in my app end of August and heard back on November 19th!

Reactions: 1 user
Major: Exercise Science and Psychology
Minor: Medical Humanities
Overall GPA, pre-requisite GPA: 4.0
Letters of Rec: OT (who I observed for 150 hours), OT (who I volunteered/observed for several years doing summer camps), A & P professor
OT Experience:
  • Special Ed School in the early childhood autism classroom - 8 hours
  • private pediatric clinic - 500+ hours (observation, as well as hands on volunteer for their intensive summer camps; only a few hundred actually count toward the app since I did a lot of hours while still in high school)
  • SNF/Rehab facility - 150 hours
  • ESY - 50 hours
  • worked as an aide for a young adult with multiple disabilities (visually impaired, impaired hearing, medically fragile), did a lot of crafts and tactile activities for 2 hours every two weeks
GRE: 158 Verbal, 150 Quantitative, 4.5 Writing
Applied: Midwestern (IL), Rush, University of IL-Chicago, Elmhurst College
Interviews: Midwestern (notified 10/2, scheduled for 11/14), Rush (notified 12/3 for an interview 12/14, declined), Elmhurst (invited 12/7 for an interview on 12/17, declined)
Acceptances: Midwestern (notified 11/16)

I will be attending Midwestern in the fall. It has been my dream school since 7th grade and I have been following their changes in curriculum and transition to OTD since then.

My advice: Apply to schools you know you are qualified for in terms of stats and have the experience to support that. Be confident in the fact that you are qualified. I was nervous back in September because I had wanted to also apply to North Central and Lewis because it's so competitive to get into OT school, but my family and I couldn't come up with the money for it and I was really embarrassed about it. In hindsight, I had nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
What are your stats?
GPA: 3.61 (not sure prereq GPA but mostly As)
GRE: V153. Q154, W4.5
Major: Psychology
Minors: Human Relations and Aging Studies

Experience: was a camp counselor for kids with disabilities for a summer, worked for 2 years as a supervisor at my school's rec center, have over 1,000 hours as a rehab tech at an outpatient pediatric therapy clinic, was a respite worker for 1 year for a little girl with special needs, part of my school's Student Philanthropy Group, Research Assistant for the Psychology Department for 2 semesters

Volunteer: 70 hours at my university hospital, 55 hours as a Wellness volunteer at a retirement home

Observation hours: 90 hours at multiple locations (pediatric, outpatient clinics, hospital)

LORs: former work supervisor, a senior OT, another OT, professor, and current manager of the pediatric clinic I work at

UPDATE

Applied: UW-Madison, UW-Milwaukee, Carroll, WashU, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), St. Ambrose, AT Still, University of South Dakota, St. Catherine's, Belmont
Interviews: St. Ambrose (10/19), Midwestern (10/23), Belmont (11/16), AT Still (declined)
Acceptances
: Wash U, Belmont
Rejections
:
UPDATE

Acceptances
: Wash U, Belmont
Rejections
:

I got into Belmont too! Congrats!
GPA: 3.61 (not sure prereq GPA but mostly As)
GRE: V153. Q154, W4.5
Major: Psychology
Minors: Human Relations and Aging Studies

Experience: was a camp counselor for kids with disabilities for a summer, worked for 2 years as a supervisor at my school's rec center, have over 1,000 hours as a rehab tech at an outpatient pediatric therapy clinic, was a respite worker for 1 year for a little girl with special needs, part of my school's Student Philanthropy Group, Research Assistant for the Psychology Department for 2 semesters

Volunteer: 70 hours at my university hospital, 55 hours as a Wellness volunteer at a retirement home

Observation hours: 90 hours at multiple locations (pediatric, outpatient clinics, hospital)

LORs: former work supervisor, a senior OT, another OT, professor, and current manager of the pediatric clinic I work at

I got into Belmont too! Congrats!

How did the GSU interview go? Did they ask you any strange questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was awesome!! Everyone is super friendly. All of the questions seemed normal to me. Nothing out of the ordinary at all!

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I have since received interviews at Tech, UTMB and St. Augustine.
If there is anyone who has already interviewed at any of these schools or will be and has any tips let me know!
When are you interviewing for Tech?

It was awesome!! Everyone is super friendly. All of the questions seemed normal to me. Nothing out of the ordinary at all!

Do you mind sharing questions? I am so nervous. I have one on 12/3. Is it really 4.5 hours long? What's the process? Thanks!

Do you mind sharing questions? I am so nervous. I have one on 12/3. Is it really 4.5 hours long? What's the process? Thanks!
Depending on the time slots they have allotted for you. You'll get an itinerary for what the day is going to be like, including when you'll go to your group and individual interviews. The process does not last the whole time, only if you want to ask the current students questions, but there is a lot of down time for that! You can also take a tour, too. I left like an hour or an hour and a half early.

Seriously do not be scared! I know it's easier said than done.. trust me, I didn't eat that morning bc I was so nervous. Everyone is SO welcoming and nice and they just want to know more about you!

Regarding questions, I'm not sure if I would be of any help because you're placed with different professors and they all ask different questions. I would definitley know why you chose OT though. Just be yourself, that's who they want to get to know! Don't have a script!!

I really hope this helps!:)

Last edited:
Applied: Ohio State, University of Findlay, Indiana State, Walsh University, Kettering, Chatham, Shawnee University

Maybe going to apply: University of Toledo

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: Ohio State, Findlay, Indiana, Walsh, Chatham
Hey there! When is your interview with ISU?

Hey there! When is your interview with ISU?

Hi! it was scheduled for the 7th! but due to other interviews I got after hearing back from them, I had to decline it! It wasnt in my top 3.

Depending on the time slots they have allotted for you. You'll get an itinerary for what the day is going to be like, including when you'll go to your group and individual interviews. The process does not last the whole time, only if you want to ask the current students questions, but there is a lot of down time for that! You can also take a tour, too. I left like an hour or an hour and a half early.

Seriously do not be scared! I know it's easier said than done.. trust me, I didn't eat that morning bc I was so nervous. Everyone is SO welcoming and nice and they just want to know more about you!

Regarding questions, I'm not sure if I would be of any help because you're placed with different professors and they all ask different questions. I would definitley know why you chose OT though. Just be yourself, that's who they want to get to know! Don't have a script!!

I really hope this helps!:)

Thank you!!! I am glad to hear it only took 3-3.5 hours. That's good!

I feel like it went smoothly, just like you said! No crazy questions or anything. Now we just patiently wait to see if we got in!

I feel like it went smoothly, just like you said! No crazy questions or anything. Now we just patiently wait to see if we got in!

I heard they have over 600 applicants and only invite 100 to interview, so we got this far! I'm glad it went well for you:)

Is anyone interviewing with Indiana State 12/7 in session A?

Unlike many others, I am seriously hoping that schools will not require an onsite interview. I am taking care of my mother who is chronically ill and cannot travel, so if a school requires an interview I have to decline. My other attributes are pretty good..
Abilene Christian University and Colorado State University both don't require interviews and their applications are still open.

Has anyone interviewed with Texas Tech and heard back? If so, how long did it take to hear back.

Hi! I'm excited to join this forum!

Here are my stats:
GPA 3.56
Major: Health & Exercise Science
Minor: Psychology
GRE: 151 verbal 146 quantitative 4 analytical writing

Observation Experience
112 hours in a pediatric hospital, 330 hours on an OT/PT hippotherapy farm (all ages), 120 hours as an outpatient pediatric office.
Total=562 hours

Related Experience:
I am an ACSM certified exercise physiologist, Physical Therapy Aide, and Medical Receptionist for both PT/OT!

Extracurricular:
Risk Management chair of my student organization

Applied: Seton Hall, Stockton, Columbia, NYU, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Salus
Accepted: Haven't heard back yet!!

Also, just curious to my fellow Salus/Thomas Jefferson applicants but how long did take you to hear back about acceptance/ an interview. I know both schools do rolling admission so I'm interested to see how quickly they review the applications.

Good luck to everyone!

Hello Everyone!
I am a new poster, and was wondering if anyone has just recently submitted their OTCAS application and how long it took before your status changed to verified?

Hi! I'm excited to join this forum!

Here are my stats:
GPA 3.56
Major: Health & Exercise Science
Minor: Psychology
GRE: 151 verbal 146 quantitative 4 analytical writing

Observation Experience
112 hours in a pediatric hospital, 330 hours on an OT/PT hippotherapy farm (all ages), 120 hours as an outpatient pediatric office.
Total=562 hours

Related Experience:
I am an ACSM certified exercise physiologist, Physical Therapy Aide, and Medical Receptionist for both PT/OT!

Extracurricular:
Risk Management chair of my student organization

Applied: Seton Hall, Stockton, Columbia, NYU, Kean, Thomas Jefferson, Salus
Accepted: Haven't heard back yet!!

Also, just curious to my fellow Salus/Thomas Jefferson applicants but how long did take you to hear back about acceptance/ an interview. I know both schools do rolling admission so I'm interested to see how quickly they review the applications.

Good luck to everyone!

We have very similar stats and the exact same major and minor! Haha. I submitted my application to Salus 9/24, my application was acknowledged 9/27, invited to interview 10/3, interviewed 10/29, and was admitted 11/9! Overall, it seems like a very quick process. Best of luck to you!!

We have very similar stats and the exact same major and minor! Haha. I submitted my application to Salus 9/24, my application was acknowledged 9/27, invited to interview 10/3, interviewed 10/29, and was admitted 11/9! Overall, it seems like a very quick process. Best of luck to you!!

Thank you so much for your encouraging response! Good luck to you, and maybe we will even be classmates :)

No problem! They really try and make you as relaxed as possible. Just be yourself:) best of luck to you. Let me know how it goes!

As you said, they are super friendly! It was easier than I thought. Hope we both can get accepted:)

Hey, how was your interview today?

It went well. Super laid back and everyone is friendly! Don’t over think the patient interaction, it was fine!

Good luck!

It went well. Super laid back and everyone is friendly! Don’t over think the patient interaction, it was fine!

Good luck!
Did they just ask the basic OT interview questions? They are also the first school I've heard of that do the patient interaction, it seems interesting!:) I'm glad it went well for you! Wishing you the best of luck.

Update: interview invitation at Samuel Merritt Looking for feedback! I'm so nervous!

University: New School University
Major: Liberal Arts
Overall GPA: 3.8
Post Bacc GPA: 3.9
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Last 60: 4.0

GRE: Verbal: 167, Quant: 153, Writing: 5

LOR: 2 OT, 1 neuroscientist with lots of awards, 1 professor

OT observation/volunteering: 90+ hours peds outpatient, 17 hand therapy, 27 school for kids/young adult with autism

other volunteering: 119 hours as volunteer research associate at UCSF w/ neuroscientist who is gave me the LOR (coauthored a paper). 150 hours at a hospital in a very low income area. 150 with PTs. 27 at intensive school for adults with low/no vision- lots of ADLs/IADLs but no OT.

Work: 8 years as a nanny/tutor. Some of the kids had behavioral/feeding etc issues, no official disabilities.

applied/applying: Dominican U of CA, Samuel Merritt, San Jose State, Loma Linda, Texas Woman's, UTH San Antonio, Augusta, University of Washington
interviews: Augusta (I declined), Loma Linda, Samuel Merritt (12/15)
rejections:
accepted:

I'm nervous about my number of volunteering hour, my unrelated undergrad, and having only had one job, which is in a more or less unrelated area, and that I'm not sure I knew my OTs, especially one of them, well enough to get a really in-depth LOR.

HI i have an interview at Samuel merit as well!

has anyone interviewed at Rush/ have any tips about how to prepare?

That's awesome!!! I'm really excited about it. It's really close to home for me, so hopefully the interview goes well. I'll see you there! :)

I got waitlisted for GSU. Did you hear anything from them? I know they still have one more round of interviews left in January!

I got waitlisted for GSU. Did you hear anything from them? I know they still have one more round of interviews left in January!

Yorit06, where have you interviewed and where have you been accepted?

I got waitlisted for GSU, too

I got waitlisted too! Kind of disappointed, but we'll have to see what happens after their last interview date.

I got waitlisted too! Kind of disappointed, but we'll have to see what happens after their last interview date.

I honestly think they waitlisted everyone until then!! Crossing my fingers for all of us!! I’ll keep ya posted!

I haven’t been accepted anywhere. This year so far I’ve interviewed at Georgia state. I have an interview at TWU in January. And an interview at West Coat University in April.

What campus are you interviewing at with TWU?
I'll be in Houston.

What campus are you interviewing at with TWU?
I'll be in Houston.
I’m going to have to decline TWU’s interview (Denton) because I just got an invite to UTH San Antonio and they’re on the same day! Why??

I honestly think they waitlisted everyone until then!! Crossing my fingers for all of us!! I’ll keep ya posted!

You are right! I got waitlisted, too.