OTA to OT route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTwonnabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone transition from OTA to OT and would you recommend it?

I have posted here before and I have a masters in Nutrition but want to break into OT so badly. I cannot afford to go to MOT school full time since I have a family. So I was thinking about going to CC for OTA while still working, and then apply for a weekend only MOT program for OTAs and keep working as an OTA as I obtain my MOT. It would be a long process but at least I would not put my family through the financial stress of going to school full-time.

I am 35 with two young kids--1 year and 4 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I just went straight thru as an OTR, so I haven't done the COTA-OTR route.

I think I remember some of your previous posts mentioning concern with how little OTRs were getting paid - COTAs make MUCH less in many places. I admit upfront I do not know what the COTAs in your area are getting paid, but they were getting 10 or 15 THOUSAND less than the OTRs in my area. Now, I have seen several places (hosptials, nursing homes) that will reimburse the entire OTR education of an OTA that does the OT weekend program, as long as the OTA agrees to work at that place for a few years after graduation. I have not seen an employer pay up front for the OT degree - meaning you'd still have to pay for the degree, and they'd pay you back later.

In terms of time, would you be able to get the OTA while working full time? If not, you may want to just bite the bullet and go for the OTR and take out all the loans you can.

Either way, OT is a great career, and good luck with whatever you choose!

dc

OTAs here make about $40,000 in home health--not bad at all.

My current day job is very flexible since I get to set my own hours so I can manage to go to school and work full time. I don't have a boss looking over my shoulder and I am salaried not hourly.

Members don't see this ad :)
40K? Great!

I thought you found OTRs in your area making 40K. Why not just get the two year degree - especially if finances are such a concern? That is a GREAT return on investment if you can go to OTA school for like 3K/yr and will start out at 40K once you're working!!!! That said, I would imagine that the OTRs in home health in your area are then working at 50 - 60K/yr, right?

That's great news. Go for it!

dc

40K? Great!

I thought you found OTRs in your area making 40K. Why not just get the two year degree - especially if finances are such a concern? That is a GREAT return on investment if you can go to OTA school for like 3K/yr and will start out at 40K once you're working!!!! That said, I would imagine that the OTRs in home health in your area are then working at 50 - 60K/yr, right?

That's great news. Go for it!

dc

Yes. OTRs working Home Health in my area make a minimum of $60K. Hospital is another story all together since they start out at 44K-50K.

That is what I am hoping for. Go to OTA school for $3,000 a year, then pursue an MOT weekend program while working as an OTA. I won't have any loss in pay since in my current job I am making a little more that $40K/yr.