OT: Some encouragement!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YBFdoctor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I went to church today, and we read a scripture that was very encouraging to me, so I thought I'd share it with y'all.

"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things that are mighty;
and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence"
1 Corinthians 1:26-29

My pastor basically explained it this way:
God chooses those whom the world expects to fail to fulfill dreams. Some may look at you and think "He/she is not fit to be a doctor" or "He/she will NEVER get into med school", but that is exactly why God chooses you to go to med school and to be a doctor. NOTHING is impossible for God, and when you finally make it into med school, against ALL the odds, people will will know that it was only by God's grace, and all the glory will be His. The genius guy or girl might say that is was by his or her own doing that they got a 38S on the MCAT, but when the person who got C's in physics and ochem gets a 38S on the MCAT, people will know that it was by God's doing, and all the glory will be His, and His alone.

I don't mean to offend any of you who are great A+ students. God def loves you too cause he blessed you with mucho brains :). This message is really for those (like myself) who are doubting themselves, and doubting their ability and their strength to make it through. Just know that God is with you in everything that you do. And even if you think you aren't strong enough to see this whole med school application process through to the end, just know that His strength is made perfect our weakness.

Ok that's it! Lemme get out of the pulpit now :)

Members don't see this ad.

kinda offtopic but goes with a small portion of what you said: in my experience it isnt really brains that get you an a+, its the discipline. i had a hard time learning that for awhile but the semester after i did i went straight from a 3.0 to a 3.8 and climbing

Hard work and discipline are definitely part of the equation. Please believe that I'm busting my butt to re-learn all this basic science stuff before I take the MCAT in May!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!

I went to church today, and we read a scripture that was very encouraging to me, so I thought I'd share it with y'all.

"For you see your calling, brethren, that not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called.
But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to put to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to put to shame the things that are mighty;
and the base things of the world and the things which are despised God has chosen, and the things which are not, to bring to nothing the things that are,
that no flesh should glory in His presence"
1 Corinthians 1:26-29

My pastor basically explained it this way:
God chooses those whom the world expects to fail to fulfill dreams. Some may look at you and think "He/she is not fit to be a doctor" or "He/she will NEVER get into med school", but that is exactly why God chooses you to go to med school and to be a doctor. NOTHING is impossible for God, and when you finally make it into med school, against ALL the odds, people will will know that it was only by God's grace, and all the glory will be His. The genius guy or girl might say that is was by his or her own doing that they got a 38S on the MCAT, but when the person who got C's in physics and ochem gets a 38S on the MCAT, people will know that it was by God's doing, and all the glory will be His, and His alone.

I don't mean to offend any of you who are great A+ students. God def loves you too cause he blessed you with mucho brains :). This message is really for those (like myself) who are doubting themselves, and doubting their ability and their strength to make it through. Just know that God is with you in everything that you do. And even if you think you aren't strong enough to see this whole med school application process through to the end, just know that His strength is made perfect our weakness.

Ok that's it! Lemme get out of the pulpit now :)

I am really lovin this post!! :thumbup::thumbup: You are right! I am applying to dental school and had 2 interviews. Believe me, if you know my stats and such, I deserve 0 interviews! But its the work of God that has gave me those interviews and I am confident I will be accepted this year just to show people through Him, anything is possible!!

I am really lovin this post!! :thumbup::thumbup: You are right! I am applying to dental school and had 2 interviews. Believe me, if you know my stats and such, I deserve 0 interviews! But its the work of God that has gave me those interviews and I am confident I will be accepted this year just to show people through Him, anything is possible!!

You sound like my twin ;) I applied under the same circumstances (gradeswise) and I feel that the fact that I am even starting dental school in the fall was through God's work. I did all I could do and left it up to Him and He took me exactly where I was supposed be (thankfully it was were I hoped I would end up....with an acceptance :D). I love this thread and hope that people will read it and use it to pick their spirits up. I know the emotions that I experienced during this whole application process and just being reassured some times really helps....

Thanks for sharing such an inspirational message. I'm traveling a tough road right now, with three children, having to work a full time job, and taking a full course load. God has blessed me with brains, wisdom, knowledge, stamina, courage... too many things to name! As I travel on this journey I feel the negative energy of some thinking that I'll never be able to do it all, but that just compels me more. I know that I have a gift that god wants me to use, and he gave me the love of knowledge, science, medicine, and helping people so that I can fulfill his wish. It's a really tough road, especially since I don't have a good support system, but I'm doing it. I'm determined. I'm exhausted, but I've never been happier! Good luck to everyone applying this season!!