Other OT-Related Information OT School Advice .. TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alsh1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will graduate in 2016 with my BA in Psychology. I have chosen to take 2 years off and commit to Teach For America in order to be able to pay for grad school. My Teach For America placement is Houston, TX and I was wondering if someone could give me advice about Texas OT schools for when my two years are over.

Are Texas OT schools very competitive like NY & CA?
Should I look into relocating after my two year commitment in regards to schools?
What are your opinions on some of the programs in Texas?

If someone could give me some feedback that would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't say much for NY/CA, but as another large state, TX has its fair share of competitiveness. IMHO, the difficulty (NOT the quality) to get into the various schools from greatest to least would be:
TWU Dallas/Houston > UTMB > Texas Tech/UTHSCSA > UTEP/UTPA > St. Augustine/Abilene (the two private schools)

If you'll qualify as a resident, Texas' in-state tuition is a wonderful thing. From my experiences talking to peers in the different programs, TWU is known for its emphasis on research, UTMB is the fast-paced school, Texas Tech is known to have well-rounded graduates, and UTHSCSA excels in fieldwork opportunities and classroom integration. Many of the programs will be making the shift from MOT to OTD in the next few years, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

I'm not from TX, but I will say that TX schools have a great reputation. If I could pick any school, I would do Texas Women's. There have been so many well known OTs that have attended that program. The program seems to be very theory-based, though. That's something to consider when making your decision.