Coursework & Fieldwork OT Prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goldensrule13

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm applying for OT school and have completed the following prerequisites. Does anyone know which schools they have applied in the past or currently thinking about applying with these 5 prerequisites? It's my first time applying this year and I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thank you!

• Human Anatomy with lab
  • Human Physiology with lab
  • Life Span and Development
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Statistics

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I'm applying for OT school and have completed the following prerequisites. Does anyone know which schools they have applied in the past or currently thinking about applying with these 5 prerequisites? It's my first time applying this year and I would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. Thank you!

• Human Anatomy with lab
  • Human Physiology with lab
  • Life Span and Development
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Statistics
Most are going to want physics or biomechanics or chem.. you are gonna probably have to add on.

Reactions: 1 user
every school i applied to required those 5 plus more like the above poster stated.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say St. Augustine will accept those, plus Medical Terminology which I took online through BYU. But most schools will want Kinesiology, physics, biochem as previously mentioned.

There are many schools that don't require physics, kinesiology, or chemistry. Your best bet is to look up programs on aota and then google "[university name] occupational therapy prerequisites" and see which requirements the majority of your programs of interest require. It would be a shame to take something like physics, thinking you need it to apply, not get an A, and have it negatively impact your OTCAS GPA! During this process you can also find out what the shadowing, experience, and volunteering requirements for your programs of interest are!

Many of the schools I looked into also required General Psychology. None of them required chem, physics, or kinesiology. Also, keep in mind "expiration dates", some school require pre-reqs to be taken within a certain number of years (many wanted within 5 years). For me, this decreased my pool of available schools drastically since some of my pre-reqs are about 10 years old! As someone above said, your best bet is visiting program websites, every school wants things done a little differently.

Thank you all for your helpful insight and comments! I do have General Psychology under my belt and will have Medical Terminology in progress. But I agree, I'll keep the expiration date in mind and look into programs which specific prerequisites they need.