OT: Moar Phast, Moar Phurious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Soooo, I missed passing kinetics by one point. I couldn't finish my last exam, sadly. I think I've mentioned my math "disability".

My professor has offered the class a resurrection final, which I have to get an 83 for a B and a 70 for a C.

Any tips on clinical kinetics? lol My friends are spending next week with me to tutor me.

If I don't pass: remediation or repeating the class next year, which means no going on rotation.

Dude, this sucks. Never had so much riding on one exam before...and all because of one measly point.

Members don't see this ad.

Soooo, I missed passing kinetics by one point. I couldn't finish my last exam, sadly. I think I've mentioned my math "disability".

My professor has offered the class a resurrection final, which I have to get an 83 for a B and a 70 for a C.

Any tips on clinical kinetics? lol My friends are spending next week with me to tutor me.

If I don't pass: remediation or repeating the class next year, which means no going on rotation.

Dude, this sucks. Never had so much riding on one exam before...and all because of one measly point.

I do not have any special advice, but I can empathize with your situation. I had to take some "optional" finals and had some really, really close calls. Just buckle down and do everything you can to pass. It won't seem so bad in the rear-view mirror. ;)

Was it just doing calculations or is it a combination of calculations, drug interactions, and other conceptual questions?

Members don't see this ad :)

What areas are giving you trouble, the conceptual or just the mathematical? Are you guys using a book? Our prof is awesome. No textbook, it's all just his notes and teaching. At this end of the semester, we're now seeing problems like "Patient is started on vancomycin and gentamicin with pharmacy to dose. Go."

Our current class is great. We took a basic kinetics course that was a train wreck second year. Anything we "learned" there I've dumped. I pretty much know just what we've learned this semester. ;)

What areas are giving you trouble, the conceptual or just the mathematical? Are you guys using a book? Our prof is awesome. No textbook, it's all just his notes and teaching. At this end of the semester, we're now seeing problems like "Patient is started on vancomycin and gentamicin with pharmacy to dose. Go."

Our current class is great. We took a basic kinetics course that was a train wreck second year. Anything we "learned" there I've dumped. I pretty much know just what we've learned this semester. ;)
Ditto. Phd and pharmd kinetics lectures are miles apart

Mathematical. I get the concepts. I'd ace it if it was strictly concepts.

Our professor wrote the kinetics book so we have to use it. But he provides additional notes. He does this new teaching method of "flipping" the class where he makes us watch a video of him working a problem then when we come to class he gives us more problems.... except he goes too fast AND skips mathematical steps, which doesn't work for me because I can't hold numbers in my head. I can't write that fast and I get lost and give up.

So, the predicting the peak and trough using long equations, doing dosing to obtain a desired peak/trough, and determining dosing intervals with equations rather than the nomogram.

also figuring out serum levels based on random draws (or inappropriate draws) and doing the dose adjustment.

Then doing adjustments with the presence of a drug interaction using the drug specific factors....throw in the salt percentage adjustments and it makes for very long problems.

I just took my last final ever. All I have left to do know is turn in an Industry and Public Policy 10 page brief and I am done.

Anyone want to write a 10 page policy paper? I have until Friday to turn it in, plenty of time, right? :D

I just took my last final ever. All I have left to do know is turn in an Industry and Public Policy 10 page brief and I am done.

Anyone want to write a 10 page policy paper? I have until Friday to turn it in, plenty of time, right? :D

Oh man, I haven't written a paper like that in 4 years. :laugh:

We have an amazing senior elective ( two actually) where all you have to do is write a mediumish (8-12) page paper. Best electives ever. 26 days of party and a random, tuesday and wednesday of writing.

Socializing and making connections with people who will give you good "insider information" and recommendations?

Members don't see this ad :)

Kinetics was my most challenging class in pharm school. After speaking to a bunch of my classmates that did really well in the class, it seems that the general consensus is to practice, practice, practice!

I felt like I never really learned kinetics until I was on 4th year rotations. Damn phds making it harder than it needed to be. Granted, you can really get more complicated if you work in that sort of thing, but most with most practioners its pretty cut and dry

I do not have any special advice, but I can empathize with your situation. I had to take some "optional" finals and had some really, really close calls. Just buckle down and do everything you can to pass. It won't seem so bad in the rear-view mirror. ;)

:thumbup:
rxlea, I truly wish you the best.

I felt like I never really learned kinetics until I was on 4th year rotations. Damn phds making it harder than it needed to be. Granted, you can really get more complicated if you work in that sort of thing, but most with most practioners its pretty cut and dry

It makes my head want to explode. Especially since I probably won't use any of it in my career!

Kinetics was my most challenging class in pharm school. After speaking to a bunch of my classmates that did really well in the class, it seems that the general consensus is to practice, practice, practice!

You came back!

One final between me and rotations.

Advanced kinetics final on Tuesday.

All I need is a C. An 83 for the B. Wish me luck, lol.

Slow clean room is sloooooow. I feel bad just standing around, but there just ain't no work. I'm just doing my topic discussion readings.

I got my 23andme results back. My genes are pretty damned good considering I'm from West Virginia and all. The only bad things were that I apparently have a 3-fold increased risk of VTE and I have genes that indicate I'm likely to be shorter than everyone else. Though I'm 5'9.5", which is exactly average for US males. Otherwise, I am more likely to live >100. I have genes that indicate I'm likely to be an endurance athlete. Risk for Alzheimer's is less than half the typical. Prostate cancer is, too.

And most exciting, I apparently have 2.7% neanderthal DNA. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I got my 23andme results back. My genes are pretty damned good considering I'm from West Virginia and all. The only bad things were that I apparently have a 3-fold increased risk of VTE and I have genes that indicate I'm likely to be shorter than everyone else. Though I'm 5'9.5", which is exactly average for US males. Otherwise, I am more likely to live >100. I have genes that indicate I'm likely to be an endurance athlete. Risk for Alzheimer's is less than half the typical. Prostate cancer is, too.

Hmm interesting.. is this company actually reliable or are these some sort of random computer generated results? Either way for $99 it may be worth a look.

I have to send mine off. The box has been on my counter all month. I've been meaning to do it. Thanks for reminding me :)

How long did it take to get back?

I've long been suspicious of the accuracy of all those home DNA tests. But it would be interesting to see what they would say.

Well astrological horoscopes are also interesting, but you can get those online for free. I'm not doubting the science.. I doubt the company and their techniques. $99 seems a bit on the cheap side for this kind of service.

Well astrological horoscopes are also interesting, but you can get those online for free. I'm not doubting the science.. I doubt the company and their techniques. $99 seems a bit on the cheap side for this kind of service.

Well, the traits section was pretty creepy. Knew I had blue eyes. Knew I had curly hair. Knew I can taste bitter things. And so on. Correctly linked me to a 2nd cousin I have in Oregon that did it, too. It's right there...labeled him as my second cousin without either of us telling it so. I'm rather impressed.

23andMe is one of the legit ones, I think. It used to be $299, but they got an influx of cash and made it cheaper.

Last edited:
go to indeed.com and search 'lies about the pharmacy job market'. know the truth

go to indeed.com and search 'lies about the pharmacy job market'. know the truth

handle-the-truth.jpg

Put in my 2 weeks at Wags last night :soexcited: Oddly, I'm going to miss the damn place and retail in general. I'd like to get back into Wags after residency to moonlight but for now its just too much to try and keep up with.

Graduate in 2 and a half weeks, move in 3! Life is surreal sometimes