OT licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjw0918

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know which states would allow me to get my OT license if I graduated with a BSOT in 99, passed the NBCOT (certification) exam in 2000, but never obtained a state license/worked as an OT? I know I will need some continuing education credit. My home state of Texas said I need to get a license in another state first since it has been more than 2 years since I passed the NBCOT exam. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cj-

Hmm. I'd say you should give AOTA a call and see. If they don't help you, you might be able to find the info at individual state websites. You could try NY - I'm licensed here and don't remember that you had a statute of limitations on the NBCOT exam.

I find it plain lazy that you couldn't just look up the website yourself (sorry to be so crude), but my obsessive-compulsive personality wouldn't let me not look it up for you. So I cut and pasted this from the Office of Professions website:

§7904. Requirements for a professional license.
To qualify for a license as an occupational therapist, an applicant shall fulfill the following requirements:

File an application with the department.
Have satisfactorily completed an approved occupational therapy curriculum in a baccalaureate or masters program, or a certificate program satisfactory to the department which is substantially equivalent to a baccalaureate degree program, in accordance with the commissioner of education's regulations.
Have a minimum of six months of supervised occupational therapy experience which supervision and experience shall be satisfactory to the board of occupational therapy and in accordance with the commissioner's regulations.
Pass an examination satisfactory to the board of occupational therapy and in accordance with the commissioner's regulations.
Be at least twenty-one years of age.
Meet no requirements as to United States citizenship.
Be of good moral character as determined by the department.
Fees: pay a fee of one hundred forty dollars to the department for admission to a department conducted examination and for an initial license, a fee of seventy dollars for each re-examination, a fee of one hundred fifteen dollars for an initial license for persons not requiring admission to a department conducted examination, and a fee of one hundred fifty-five dollars for each triennial registration period.

Good luck with things!

dc

Not being lazy, I thought someone practicing from another state might remember what their state requires off hand. To look up licensure requirements for every state individually having no idea where to start seemed inefficient and time-consuming (tried a few states and their websites were not very clear), as there's not a comprehensive table anywhere that I could find. I thought about AOTA, but it looked like you'd have to be a member to find out anything on their website. I was just looking for a starting place if someone remembered their state didn't require a time period from date of NBCOT exam to applying for licensure. I don't think it's lazy, it's just asking for a point in the right direction from some people who might know. Thanks for trying to help, sort of, but there's really no need to be rude. If you want to help, fine. If you don't feel someone deserves help because they are being "lazy", then simply don't respond. The whole point of these forums is to foster a spirit of support and cooperation among health professionals while providing us a place to network and discuss important issues in our fields, not to judge someone's efforts for trying to find information.