Program-Specific Info / Q's OT/BCBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imend002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I am currently starting my second year as an OT grad student in Florida International University. I am also a BCaBA and have been working in ABA for almost 5 years. It was a very difficult decision for me to choose OT over ABA for a masters program. At first, I thought it was because I wanted to work with different disabilities other than autism and I wanted the option to work with different age groups as well. Now that I am a year into the program, I am having serious doubts as to whether or not I made the right decision. My original plan was to get my masters in OT and then apply for the BCBA (since all you needed was a masters). But now I have realized that it is not realistic to practice both professions, it is either one or the other. The more that I learned about other disabilities in pediatrics I realized that autism was the path I wanted to pursue. It is what I know and I am passionate about. I also realized that OT plays only a small role in autism in comparison to ABA. OT is a beautiful career but I feel that my brain is wired in ABA principles. I am seriously considering dropping out of the OT masters (it is a very tough full time program and it is a lot of money!), and completing the masters program in ABA online. However, I am scared that I am not making an informed decision. I am about to start my level 1 fieldwork in OT in two weeks. I will be going abroad to Chile. I decided that I will see how I feel after that month working in a clinic and then decide whether I will return to fall semester or not. The clinic I will be working in is an adult neurorehab clinic (totally different form anything I have done in the past).

Anyways, I wanted to know what you guys think? Any thoughts or suggestions??
Thank you so much for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, you're starting your second year. At this point, you might as well finish then do what you wanna do. It would suck to take out all these loans, financial aid and all these things to not finish, you know? That's my two cents tho.

I understand how you feel! I'm torn between OT/ABA as well since that's what I've been doing for the past few years! For you I would suggest that you not do what your heart isn't set on. What will you truly be happy with and consider what your goals are. Do you want to work mostly with kids, work in schools or home? etc..My boss did tell me though that it's better to have a Masters in something other than ABA and just get the cert. Mainly because there's job security and more full time position offers in OT. I think either way it really depends on the demand and where you live. I was considering getting an MS in psychology with the cert. My friend completed hers online in just over a year and it's a ton cheaper but I'm so torn. One would never want to devote so much time and money to not find a good job placement! Talk to your local peers and network with people who are in the field to see how the market is locally or wherever you plan to go! Also keep in mind that the BACB is limiting the certification to psych degrees or educators come next year, which means obtaining a certification with an OT degree is out! Just something to consider..