Coursework & Fieldwork OT and drug test testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaitlyn.w0009

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello! I have a few questions, for obvious reasons (please save the speeches to yourself, I know lol.) I am an undergrad in college, for reference.
Are any drug tests during or before an OT program given randomly, or is there some sort of forward warning?
Are you drug tested before the start of your OT program?
The same goes for fieldwork, which I heard you are drug tested before, is there a forward warning or is it random?
Also when you enter the work field, is there a forward warning or are more drug tests given at random, or is there usually only one before you are given the position?

Thank you. I realize it depends on the program, workplace, etc, but I am looking for general answers.

Members don't see this ad.

hello! I have a few questions, for obvious reasons (please save the speeches to yourself, I know lol.) I am an undergrad in college, for reference.
Are any drug tests during or before an OT program given randomly, or is there some sort of forward warning?
Are you drug tested before the start of your OT program?
The same goes for fieldwork, which I heard you are drug tested before, is there a forward warning or is it random?
Also when you enter the work field, is there a forward warning or are more drug tests given at random, or is there usually only one before you are given the position?

Thank you. I realize it depends on the program, workplace, etc, but I am looking for general answers.
I'd prob just make sure you good before you go into and start a program to avoid any issues. Leave the drugs in undergrad, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
In my experience, it depends on the FW site whether they drug test you. Hospitals are typically more likely to. I don't know of anyone personally who was randomly drug tested.

Members don't see this ad :)
not for the ot program but like the above poster said you could have to take one for your fieldwork site. again, like the above poster said, it's most likely going to happen if you're placed in a hospital. i had to take one for a hospital but not for an outpatient clinic.

when you start working, again, depends on the place. I've heard it's one and done but the only other time would be during your yearly physical and you would be the one planning that. I guess it could become random if they suspected something... idk.

Actually during my COTA program we were randomly drug tested twice and my program was only 16 months. I wouldn't be surprised if other OT programs did it as well. I believe they were done before my level 1 and 2 fieldwork placements.