Osteopathic residencies in psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bebella24

Dr. EmPathY
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I intend to persue a career in medicine and would like to specialize in psychiatry. However, i am a bit unclear about the logistics of acquring residencies after medical school if i were to become a D.O. I have heard that D.Os mostly gain residencies in primary care, and that acquiring residencies for psychiatry is extremely difficult. Is this true? Would my best bet be to go the allopathic route then? I appreciate your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

D.O. psychiatrists are actually quite common and matching into a psychiatry residency is not very difficult. In fact, most programs have to fill their spots with FMGs because of the lack of interest in psychiatry among U.S. medical graduates.

E-mail this guy for more info:

http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/psychiatry/faculty/hendren_robert.htm

Cheers,

PH

I always thought psychiatry was under the primary care category. (It is according to the government) I am pursuing the DO degree and intend to go into psychiatry and have been told it is not a very competitive residency at all (for MD and DO alike).