Osteopath vs. Chiropractic vs. Orthopedic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It is kind of like an osteopathic residency because there are quite a few DOs there, including the co-chiefs. Check it out yourself:

http://www.neurology.neu.vcu.edu/education/residents.html
That wasn't my point....my point was that they (both the VCU program and more than a few osteopathic programs) have a problem attracting students, but the MD programs have an advantage of being able to take IMGs, FMGs and DOs who can't be placed elsewhere. So far as I'm aware, the osteopathic programs that can't fill their spots simply have to allow them to lay fallow for that year.

Members don't see this ad.

I understood your point well. I just wanted to point out that all residencies are not created equal-- not even the allopathic ones.
I could not agree more. There are certain osteopathic EM residencies I would choose over their allopathic counterparts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not really surprised if you're going to MCV. Don't you have the neurology residency where they can't attract any US MD students? Wait...they do have one don't they? I guesss brains don't heal themselves :laugh: .

Actually no neurology residencies can attract US allopathic grads. It's sort of like saying wow, your fm program has trouble attracting US MD grads. Sort of a petty knock on VCU, too. I don't really see where it's relevant to anything instatewaiter said, but whatever.

Actually no neurology residencies can attract US allopathic grads. It's sort of like saying wow, your fm program has trouble attracting US MD grads. Sort of a petty knock on VCU, too. I don't really see where it's relevant to anything instatewaiter said, but whatever.

WOW!!! Really? Doesn't anybody want to do neurology anymore? I LOVE neurology (and FM too)!:love:

WOW!!! Really? Doesn't anybody want to do neurology anymore? I LOVE neurology (and FM too)!:love:

Neurology is a fall back option, very much like FM. .. well, except for you.

There is no comparison between oseopathic physicians and chiropractors. Granted, chiropractors do have a role in the health care field, they are NOT physicians and should not be treated as such. The manipulate ONLY and are not able to presecribe medicine. Oseopathic physicians are doctors able to subspecialize in any field that MDs or allopathic physicians go into. I would strongly recommend a field in osteopathic medicine over being a chiropractor. Frankly, they should not even be mentioned in the same sentence. No disrespect here, just being honest.

. Sort of a petty knock on VCU, too. I don't really see where it's relevant to anything instatewaiter said, but whatever.

You're right, it was a petty knock on instatewaiter's school. How nice of you to notice. When you come into the osteo forums and leave a sarcastic comment, you may just get knocked on once or twice. I was in a bad mood; I admit it. Instatewaiter took one sentence from a post and made a flippant remark, perhaps just trying to be cool in doing so. I responded rapidly, like a fork-tongued devil, deep from the pits of hell, breathing fire and animosity for all to see. Guess that's life, huh?

I like it, too, but supposedly it's a pretty easy match. At my school, I think all the neuro people are international grads.

WOW! Good to know! I guess I am just weird. My other love is rheumatology and I don't think that anyone likes that much either.:rolleyes: :laugh:

You're right, it was a petty knock on instatewaiter's school. How nice of you to notice. When you come into the osteo forums and leave a sarcastic comment, you may just get knocked on once or twice. I was in a bad mood; I admit it. Instatewaiter took one sentence from a post and made a flippant remark, perhaps just trying to be cool in doing so. I responded rapidly, like a fork-tongued devil, deep from the pits of hell, breathing fire and animosity for all to see. Guess that's life, huh?

Fair enough. I think this subject's a hard one because DOs and DO students don't agree on how different osteopathic education is from allopathic education. Lots of them are the ones positing that there is no real difference aside from learning OMM.

As for those osteopathic principles listed above, I think those are implicitly embraced by allopathic medicine, but none of them have been emphasized in my education thus far. We learn about the immune system and tissue recovery, but the body's ability to self heal is not really a focus. So maybe there is a difference beyond OMM. Maybe it's school specific or even student specific based on what they pick up on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find neurology interesting, but it has the reputation of being sort of a "middle man" specialty. What I mean is that you consult, but oftentimes a radiologist is needed for diagnosis, and a neurosurgeon is needed for treatment. In that respect, it is a little bit like hemonc without the salary or associated prestige.

There is a good demand for neurologists, but it would probably get more love if it was accessed through internal medicine. Neurology just recently became matchable via ERAS. If you are interested in being a ring doctor for boxing, neuro is the way to go.

We've had some neurologists lecture at my school, and they seem to have a disproportionately high amount of foreign grads.

As for allergy/immunology, it's an easy fellowship to get like ID or geriatrics. No procedures means low salary.

Lots of them are the ones positing that there is no real difference aside from learning OMM.

Yes, this is only my opinion, but I think a lot of the people who claim that OMM is the only difference are the people who ended up in DO school because they couldn't get into an MD school. I think it might be their way of rationalizing their situation. They want DO school to be exactly like an MD school, and they convince themselves that it is. Truth be told, they've never been to an MD school, so how do they really know what the differences are?

I find neurology interesting, but it has the reputation of being sort of a "middle man" specialty. What I mean is that you consult, but oftentimes a radiologist is needed for diagnosis, and a neurosurgeon is needed for treatment. In that respect, it is a little bit like hemonc without the salary or associated prestige.

There is a good demand for neurologists, but it would probably get more love if it was accessed through internal medicine. Neurology just recently became matchable via ERAS. If you are interested in being a ring doctor for boxing, neuro is the way to go.

We've had some neurologists lecture at my school, and they seem to have a disproportionately high amount of foreign grads.

As for allergy/immunology, it's an easy fellowship to get like ID or geriatrics. No procedures means low salary.

My father is a neurologist and I worked in his office for about ten years. I guess he is definitely a "middle man". We send people for lots of MRIs and neurosurgery referrals. But, he does NCV/EMGs and EEGs. He reads the BAEPs and VEPs too, so that is all additional income for procedures. A lot of people have told me that it is one of the more "depressing" specialties. I never really thought about it, but I guess it is. We have a lot of Alzheimer's patients, which is incredibly sad. With the exception of the migraine or epilepsy patients, a large number of his patients have debilitating, chronic illnesses. But, I find the brain and the entire nervous system fascinating. I really love neuroimmunology. I wish I could specialize in that and then combine a bit of everything I love.

Allergy and immunology? I was talking about rheumatology. But, they don't have a lot of procedures they do either with the exception of a synovial tap. I know procedures=money. Doctors hardly get paid anything anymore for an office visit. Fortunately, I am not going into medicine for the money because it looks like I love the specialties that pay the least. :laugh:

There is an IM/Neuro residency. There are only a handful in the country. You are eligible to be certified in both IM and neuro. The residency is five years.

I don't any of the younger neurologists around here, but all the older ones that I know are US MD graduates and one DO graduate.

Thanks for the info.:)

Fair enough. I think this subject's a hard one because DOs and DO students don't agree on how different osteopathic education is from allopathic education. Lots of them are the ones positing that there is no real difference aside from learning OMM.

As for those osteopathic principles listed above, I think those are implicitly embraced by allopathic medicine, but none of them have been emphasized in my education thus far. We learn about the immune system and tissue recovery, but the body's ability to self heal is not really a focus. So maybe there is a difference beyond OMM. Maybe it's school specific or even student specific based on what they pick up on.

I've tried to communicate in my posts that while the principles are written down in every OPP book, what a student does with them is an individual choice - some students will embrace them, some students will use them for TP. However, every DO student is exposed to these principles and at least has to regurgitate them on a couple tests. They also appear on almost every press release the AOA puts out.

Oh my god really?... I had no idea that the body can heal itself. I go to an allopathic school and they never told us. They just don't teach that kind of stuff to us. :rolleyes:

There is no course taught in allopathic schools that I know of that is analogous to OPP. To my knowledge, the AMA has never come out and endorsed a unifying set of principles to guide medical practice. Individual MDs may practice with a certain philosophy, and individual DOs may practice without one, but this doesn't change the fact that osteopathic medicine has a clearly articulated philosophy, while allopathic medicine does not.

Personally, I think it's great that allopathic medicine is becoming more open to ideas like those expressed in the osteopathic principles. Ironically, this seems to be happening at the same time osteopathic medicine may be becoming more closed to them.

It's ridiculous to think that osteopathic medicine has some kind of monopoly on the idea that the body can heal itself. These are some of the first ideas that were ever written down, which leads one to think that they were around for quite some time before writing (and certainly osteopathic medicine) was even conceived. Also, these are just ideas, concepts, not absolute maxims. There are many cases where the body does a pretty poor job of healing itself. IMO the principles offer a useful perspective for thinking about health and disease, and provide a sort of framework for thinking about treatments. It's no substitute for Harrison's.

Really confused, and hoping that someone can CLEARLY explain what you mean by "treating the body as a whole unit". It is my understanding that allopathic students, like osteopathic students, also learn about the various ways the organ systems interconnect and function as a whole. I keep hearing that osteopaths treat the whole body- but what does that mean?

Not trying to be rude, but if someone could give me an example- let's say a sick patient comes to you for treatment- how would a DO approach his/her treatment as opposed to an MD? Besides using OMM- which I have heard that most DO's don't use anyway. Don't both MD's and DO's essentially diagnose and treat in the same manner?

And finally- I am not advocating MD vs. DO but it seems to me that a great majority of what I have seen in the DO forums involves justifying how DO's are better than MD's- like the below which implies that DO's will learn more about anatomy then MD's. From what I have seen, there is more MD bashing in the DO forums then there is DO bashing in the MD forums. K, enough said- just some observations of mine. I am sure there will be a backlash to this post :D

It depends on the school you go to, I'm sure, but many are taught more than just OMM. The actual class is called OPP in our case-- Osteopathic Principles and Practices. Part of it is learning about the history, philosophy, and art of osteopathic medicine that encompasses mind, body and spirit. There is a special emphasis in a "hands-on" approach that follows more than just manipulation. You spend an especially large part of your time diagnosing disorders with your hands and understanding the way illness presents, and you don't just use those skills in OMM lab; you use them in other courses as well. You get an amazing look at anatomy, and I'll guarantee you that you know it better than most any allopathic graduate around because you'll be studying it every week for the first two years at a minimum.

In our case, and in others I would imagine, the osteopathic philosophy is brought into as many of our courses as is possible. You are are taught to look at things from a different perspective. Yes, some people think it's kind of "hokey" and ignore it, but it's wrong to ignore history. Allopathic medicine comes from allos, meaning opposite and path, meaning disease. The traditional approach was to look at the symptoms and treat them with something that did the opposite. Osteopathy was designed with something different in mind: treating the body as a whole unit, rather than just the symptoms. While it's true that more allopathic programs are using this approach now, it's wrong to simply ignore that osteopathy was designed on those principles and those principles are still the core of the practice. The fact is that allopathic schools are simply becoming more like osteopathic schools, except for the manipulation. Some of them are even looking into that now.

It's easy to say that there is no difference when you have never been a part of it. It's easy to say that you'll go to a DO school, but you'll never accept OMM. It's much harder to look objectively at a situation you've never really been in and see where the real differences lie. Yes, there are currently more differences than just OMM. With the way things are going, though, that might not always be the case...but that's the way it is now.

Really confused, and hoping that someone can CLEARLY explain what you mean by "treating the body as a whole unit". It is my understanding that allopathic students, like osteopathic students, also learn about the various ways the organ systems interconnect and function as a whole. I keep hearing that osteopaths treat the whole body- but what does that mean?

Not trying to be rude, but if someone could give me an example- let's say a sick patient comes to you for treatment- how would a DO approach his/her treatment as opposed to an MD? Besides using OMM- which I have heard that most DO's don't use anyway. Don't both MD's and DO's essentially diagnose and treat in the same manner?
And finally- I am not advocating MD vs. DO but it seems to me that a great majority of what I have seen in the DO forums involves justifying how DO's are better than MD's- like the below which implies that DO's will learn more about anatomy then MD's. From what I have seen, there is more MD bashing in the DO forums then there is DO bashing in the MD forums. K, enough said- just some observations of mine. I am sure there will be a backlash to this post :D

I'd say the bashing is the same at both levels of pre-med forums on SDN.

The 1st statement I bolded is something I agree with. However, we shall see ...

*sigh* My advice is to try to stop looking at this issue from an MD vs DO perspective. This is a very limited view. Andrew Weil is an MD who incorporates more alternative practices than most DOs, while there are many DOs that never put their hands on a patient. Your question makes the assumption that one can draw a neat line between what MDs and DOs do; the reality is much more complex.

DO training incorporates a couple different tools than MD - namely manipulation and an articulated philosophy. MDs can use these tools as well, they just aren't required to learn them to gain licensure.

The clearest examples I can think of to give you do involve OMM - a simple example might be a patient who comes in with GERD and a low back spasm. One approach might look at these as two separate problems and write the patient a script for each. Another approach might be to look for a connection between the two problems - maybe the patient sits at work all day causing their back spasm and the back spasm aggravates their GERD. So maybe another treatment option is to address the patient's posture at work, perform some OMM to encourage the spasm to release, and see if the GERD improves.

Neither pays well enough apparently! :laugh:

It could be worse. One could simply do a 1 year internship and put up some walls and a roof, glue them together, add some shingles and a chime, put up "doctor's office" ... we now know this to be a doc-in-the-box clinic. I'm sure a poster on here knows what I'm talking about ... :laugh:

It could be worse. One could simply do a 1 year internship and put up some walls and a roof, glue them together, add some shingles and a chime, put up "doctor's office" ... we now know this to be a doc-in-the-box clinic. I'm sure a poster on here knows what I'm talking about ... :laugh:

I know a few people who did this with OMM a few years back and are making crazy money.

Anyway...Dr. I...personally I dont believe there is an "osteopathic philosophy"

It just puzzles me that one can come to that up front where it took me 5 years to come to that realization.

You do indeed make some valid points but I think if you go in to school with that idea you may miss out on something.

Just keep your options and your mind open. Who knows what you will stumble across.

Yours,

The kinder, nicer JPHazelton :thumbup:

I know a few people who did this with OMM a few years back and are making crazy money.

Anyway...Dr. I...personally I dont believe there is an "osteopathic philosophy"

It just puzzles me that one can come to that up front where it took me 5 years to come to that realization.

You do indeed make some valid points but I think if you go in to school with that idea you may miss out on something.

Just keep your options and your mind open. Who knows what you will stumble across.

Yours,

The kinder, nicer JPHazelton :thumbup:

Will do. Looking forward to the education in store for me.

Weil is a quack. How could you cite him as an example of anything? You read a lot of Kevin Trudeau as well?

Good thing that post was brought to perspective. :laugh:

Weil is a quack. How could you cite him as an example of anything? You read a lot of Kevin Trudeau as well?

I think many DOs would agree with you, and that's the point - the initials after your name dictate nothing about how "holistic" your approach to medicine will be. Weil, being a Harvard trained MD, just offers a convenient and well known example. I have no idea who Kevin Trudeau is.

An infommercial guy, with no medical training and a criminal record, who sells health books and products. I'd say your intelligence was just insulted there. Or perhaps the poster who compared Trudeau to a Harvard trained MD was only showing his ignorance.

It takes a lot more than that to insult me. I stopped taking anything on here too seriously some time ago. Actually, I find it amusing how frequently some people respond to a post w/ a knee jerk reaction rather than with any thought whatsoever. I guess you don't even have to endorse Weil, just mention his name, and it provokes a flame.

Harvard + MD doesnt = God

PCOM + DO comes a bit closer though. ;)

So you're one of those people who's impressed with the "harvard" and "md" thing? Do you buy all his books too? But yeah, I'm the ignorant one. Now run along and cure your fibromyalgia with a special blend of herbs.

I used Weil as an example of an MD who uses alternative medicine - how do you interpret that as me endorsing anything that he does?

So you're one of those people who's impressed with the "harvard" and "md" thing? ...

Dude, everybody's impressed by the Harvard MD thing. Didn't you get the memo? Harvard MDs smoke without getting cancer. They perform surgery blindfolded. They date supermodels on the weekdays and blow enemy fighter pilots out of the sky on weekends. Where have you been?

If you have a problem with Weil, substitute whichever of these names makes you happy. There are plenty of DOs and MDs who label their practice "holistic" besides Weil to choose from.

It is so interesting seeing those who have not made it all the way through their training and make so many assumptions.

I am a chiropractic physician (yes PHYSICIAN) and neurosurgeon. I went through medical school and found that many of my patients were benefiting from chiropractic CONSERVATIVE care, then I went back to school to get my DC degree.

I am not going to argue with anyone on this matter, but the truth is (since I have seen it from both sides) that chiropractic doctors know what they are doing, they know how to diagnose and treat NMS disorders. Yes, I thought many of them were full of their theories, but that is not true in today's world. Many of the DC schools are becoming evidence based teaching styles and are drilling into their students evidence based care and when you don't know how to treat something........refer it out.

In Oregon, DC's can do minor surgery and more. Also, in may DC schools they are taught what we are taught in medical school......OB/GYN, etc. Not that DC's are going to be delivering babies, but that they have those basic skills and knowledge when a pregnant women comes to them with low back pain, they can rule out something more serious or refer it out if necessary.

Many people are going to DC's because alternative healthcare is on the rise and I think this is the wave of the future. We all must brace ourselves for this revolutionary change. Many patients are also going to ND (naturopathic doctors) and acupuncturists. It is the demand and many DO's are starting to manipulate again and MD's (especially physiotherapists) are wanting to learn how.

Don't knock something until you get all the facts gathered.

To the person who ask the original question..........

Like everyone said, research. Go to a chiropratic school and get a tour, ask many, many questions. Then go shadow a DC. Then talk to a DO and visit a DO school......then visit an MD and shadow an MD. See what you like. As a DC you can have a very rewarding career, but you must remember that you are a conservative non-surgical orthopedic doctor. When it is out of your realm........refer, refer. You can make a lot of money and help a lot of people.........plus the hours are not that bad.

But, if you are like me, I like to cut and I like neurosurgery. PERIOD. I have a great practice and I can treat a lot of people and make them better through conservative care.........and if I have to operate..........I will.

Check out the AMERICAN ACADEMY OF SPINE PHYSICIANS website. That will give you a great insight to chiropractic care and neurosurgery teaming up.

How cheap is it that you're making an argument against a guy that can't rebut your points?

Chiropractic by itself is nothing in terms of scope of practice compared to osteopathic or allopathic medicine, sorry. It's your additional MD training that gives you credibility and the ability to diagnose dysfucntion correctly. It puts your DC training into a whole new perspective that typical chiropractors simply would not have. Why go DC then MD when DO gives you an all-encompassing view?

It is so interesting seeing those who have not made it all the way through their training and make so many assumptions.

I am a chiropractic physician (yes PHYSICIAN) and neurosurgeon. I went through medical school and found that many of my patients were benefiting from chiropractic CONSERVATIVE care, then I went back to school to get my DC degree.

I am not going to argue with anyone on this matter, but the truth is (since I have seen it from both sides) that chiropractic doctors know what they are doing, they know how to diagnose and treat NMS disorders. Yes, I thought many of them were full of their theories, but that is not true in todays world. Many of the DC schools are becoming evidence based teaching styles and are drilling into their students evidence based care and when you don't know how to treat something........refer it out.

In Oregon they DC's can do minor surgery and more. Also, in may DC schools they are taught what we are taught in medical school......OB/GYN, etc. Not that DC's are going to be delivering babies, but that they have those basic skills and knowledge when a pregnant women comes to them with low back pain, they can rule out something more serious or refer it out if necessary.

Many people are going to DC's because alternative healthcare is on the rise and I think this is the wave of the future. We all must brace ourselves for this revolutionary change. Many patients are also going to ND (naturopathic doctors) and acupuncturists. It is the demand and many DO's are starting to manipulate again and MD's (especially physiotheraptists) are wanting to learn how.

Don't knock something until you get all the facts gathered.

To the person who ask the original question..........

Like everyone said, research. Go to a chriopratic school and get a tour, ask many, many questions. Then go shadow a DC. Then talk to a DO and visit a DO school......then visit an MD and shadow an MD. See what you like. As a DC you can have a very rewarding career, but you must remember that you are a conservative non-surgical orthopedic doctor. When it is out of your realm........refer, refer. You can make a lot of money and help a lot of people.........plus the hours are not that bad.

But, if you are like me, I like to cut and I like neurosurgery. PERIOD. I have a great practice and I can treat a lot of people and make them better through conservative care.........and if I have to operate..........I will.

Check out the AMERICAN ACADEMY OF SPINE PHYSICIANS website. That will give you a great insite to chiropractic care and neurosurgery teaming up.

I've got some great workouts for t-spine mobility and rotational power. What the **** are we talking about?

I'm personally not buying the "I'm a neurosurgeon who went back to get my DC."

Give me a break.

Actually, that is fine if you don't want to buy it. That is your choice, but the truth is I went to DO school and then DC school. I am on the American Academy of Spine Physicians Council and that is all I have to say.

Steven Vanni, D.O., D.C.

pc11svanni.jpg
Dr. Vanni is both a neurosurgeon and a chiropractor. He received his D.O. and his D.C. in Georgia and Florida respectively. His spinal surgery training was done in New York (Albert Einstein College of Medicine). He has continued his practice as a chiropractic physician in Florida while practicing as a neurosurgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital and the Veteran's Administration Hospital. Dr. Vanni uses his unique perspective, as a neurosurgeon and a chiropractic physician, to lecture about and to participate in studies of patients with spine problems. In his neurosurgical practice, Dr. Vanni specializes in spine surgery.

www.spinephysicians.org

Actually, that is fine if you don't want to buy it. That is your choice, but the truth is I went to DO school and then DC school. I am on the American Academy of Spine Physicians Council and that is all I have to say.

Ummmmmm...actually Dr. Vanni graduated from Chiropractic school in 1986, then from Nova in 1995-- nine years later. That's not unusual. There's a chiropractor in my class who is now becoming a DO. Doing the reverse, DO then DC, would be just about the silliest thing I've heard of in a while.

There is a difference between being a DC and wanting to go to DO school, and a DO wanting to go to DC school....

There are plenty of DCs attending DO schools. Posting someone elses credentials doesn't give you any more credibility.

I am sure you went through 4 years of pre-med, 4 years of med school, 6 years in neurosurgery residency, and however long it took you to get your DC---and finally you decide to register on SDN and make your very first post on this thread...doubt it.

^ oops didnt see ya there scpod

Steven Vanni, D.O., D.C.

pc11svanni.jpg
Dr. Vanni is both a neurosurgeon and a chiropractor. He received his D.O. and his D.C. in Georgia and Florida respectively. His spinal surgery training was done in New York (Albert Einstein College of Medicine). He has continued his practice as a chiropractic physician in Florida while practicing as a neurosurgeon at Jackson Memorial Hospital and the Veteran's Administration Hospital. Dr. Vanni uses his unique perspective, as a neurosurgeon and a chiropractic physician, to lecture about and to participate in studies of patients with spine problems. In his neurosurgical practice, Dr. Vanni specializes in spine surgery.

www.spinephysicians.org

Chiropractic Physician? :laugh::laugh:

OK Vanni-troll, are you about ready to stop claiming you were a DO first and then you became a DC?

From http://neurosurgery.med.miami.edu/x66.xml?id=34988

Education

University of Miami School of Medicine - Department of Neurological Surgery
Miami, FL Fellowship Spine Clinical / Research Fellow 2001

Long Island Jewish Medical Center / North Shore University Hospital
New Hyde Park, NY Residency Neurosurgery 2000

Nova Southeastern University
Miami, FL DO Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine 1995

Life Chiropractic College
Marietta, GA DC Chiropractic Medicine 1986

Miami Dade Community College
Miami, FL B.S. Nutrition 1983

P.S. Seriously, you have time to be on SDN? That's incredibly disappointing.

Dr. Vanni uses his unique perspective, as an osteopathic neurosurgeon, to lecture about and to participate in studies of patients with spine problems. In his neurosurgical practice, Dr. Vanni specializes in spine surgery.
Wouldn't this have been a more accurate and informative statement? I don't even see what a DC that went DO would continue to display the DC credentials since it is a lesser degree. Ph. D.'s usually just put Ph.D. if they have a masters too unless the masters is in a field unrelated to their Ph.D.