orthos and podiatrists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
FutureEYEdoc09 said:
Actually you are very perceptive.....Dream Land is close...because the school I got into is a lower rung Medical School (probably one of the five easiest in the country to get accepted too.) I applied at the right place and right time and repeated 8 classes in my Pre-Med sequence (biochemistry, Second Organic Chem, Microbiology, Anatomy and Physiology, Physics 2, etc... and added a Graduate level molecular genetics class with a research project about the HIV virus......I got 7 A's and one B (organic)--hey noone is perfect huh? Anywho, I kissed ass with faculty at the (unmentioned) school and my parents have connections there....These factors aided me combined with the fact that my brother was already attending!-----AND I achieved a double digit composit on the MCAT (10)---back then (10) was very competitive----now in 2004 it is only better than average. I got offered a seat at ONE school and turned down by 12! (that really sucked but my 8 W's on my transcript from undergrad and my masters program killed me in the eyes of every other school I applied for.......The fact is as well that I am a MINORITY------------------------I repeat------------------MINORITY----------------all of these factors got me accepted. If you are a minority and/or female your chances are much better--*FACT*. White males are definitely discriminated against....Shortly after I fell ill------Psychological---(depression) resulting from a medical condition for over a year and could not attend.......I did a lot of thinking and although my whole family is MD's--mother, father, and brother (surgeon)......the whole thing seemed too morbid to me.....My undergraduate and masters degree are in Health Promotion and Education.......with primary prevention being the key theme......Medicine at the time to me seemed too involved in secondary and tertiary intervention and not enough preventative medicine and health promotion. I was offered an 80,000/year job in the Health and Fitness Equipment Industry and HONESTLY got greedy and went for the money....(I regret that choice.) I have spent many years with my father, mother, brother, and cousin----observing them and know very well what the MD (or DO---they are complete equals and acually a DO has an advantage with training in Manipulative Medicine OMM--Osteopathic Medical Manipulation) is all about. I am 30 years old and "school" tired......I can give of myself for 5 years and that's it! I am an athlete and will not slow down in that regard....Optometry gives me the window to being a primary care eye doctor in the most efficient amount of time and a much less stressful lifestyle....I will work 40 hours a week, will never be on call--thank GOD and pull $100K and I would be content with that...It gives me more time to be with my future wife and kids, be involved with my religion (activities), and being a part-time athlete.
Do I regret not going to the MD program----for a year I had some regrets BUT after I spent time with a couple of eye doctors I found out how Optometry was such a wonderful fit. So to answer you and that other guy that didn't believe me.......I CHOSE not to go because I knew I would not commit to 8-9 years to become an OMD......let's face it--it is a lot more work and I have no interest in surgery (for myself)--although I will lobby in my state to get LASIK surgery for my counterparts. So just understand that getting into an MD program is very tough but not impossible.....a close friend of mine applied for 3 YEARS and finally got in.....Anybody who is determined and intelligent can do it.

1. You spelled no one wrong (it's two words)--I'm not sure about it in ebonics.

2. Inferiorly-qualified minorities have a much easier time getting accepted to medical school than do similarly inferiorly-qualified whites and Asians, I agree. In addition, marginally-qualified minorites have a much easier time getting accepted than highly-qualified white and Asians--the reason of which is not obscure: it's that highly qualified minorities are few and far between, and there are quotas to be filled, so schools settle for marginally-qualified minorities in place of highly-qualified whites and Asians. (And, actually NOT anyone can get accepted to an allopathic US med school...see the stats, only 1/3 EVER get admitted--thus, PAs, NPs, CRNAs, etc.) I know you're going to call me a racist and play on victimology, but I'm actually only citing sociological facts, without bias one way nor the other. The truth hurts whites and Asians much more than it'll ever hurt blacks, until--of course--John McWhorter of Berkely comes into the public eye to a greater degree (no pun intended).

3. DOs are equals to MDs only in the most strict academic sense. There is DEFINITELY no advantage to being a DO worldwide or in the US. Most DOs are DOs because it's the secret backdoor into doctoring under the pretense of a different philosophy on the practice of medicine (look at the admission stats). This is a thread in and of itself. Let's play a game: name that famous osteopath.

4. 100,000K is peanuts, but I doubt it's that high after the Costco fees and insurance.

Members don't see this ad.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
4. 100,000K is peanuts, but I doubt it's that high after the Costco fees and insurance.

On the other hand, you're usually like 25 feet from the hotdog stand.

dry dre said:
On the other hand, you're usually like 25 feet from the hotdog stand.

25 ft??? He's selling the hotdogs!

Members don't see this ad :)
MS3NavyFS2B said:
1. You spelled no one wrong (it's two words)--I'm not sure about it in ebonics.

2. Inferiorly-qualified minorities have a much easier time getting accepted to medical school than do similarly inferiorly-qualified whites and Asians, I agree. In addition, maginally-qualified minorites have a much easier time getting accepted than highly-qualified white and Asians--the reason of which is not obscure: it's that highly qualified minorities are few and far between, and there are quotas to be filled, so schools settle for marginally-qualified minorities in place of highly-qualified whites and Asians. (And, actually NOT anyone can get accepted to an allopathic US med school...see the stats, only 1/3 EVER get admitted--thus, PAs, NPs, CRNAs, etc.) I know you're going to call me a racist and play on victimology, but I'm actually only citing sociological facts, without bias one way nor the other. The truth hurts whites and Asians much more than it'll ever hurt blacks, until--of course--John McWhorter of Berkely comes into the public eye to a greater degree (no pun intended).

3. DOs are equals to MDs only in the most strict academic sense. There is DEFINITELY no advantage to being a DO worldwide or in the US. Most DOs are DOs because it's the secret backdoor into doctoring under the pretense of a different philosophy on the practice of medicine (look at the admission stats). This is a thread in and of itself. Let's play a game: name that famous osteopath.

Hey Buddy...........don't knock Costco it is a fine retail establishment! :) Actually I will be working in a surgery center with OMD's but that was a good one!

endodoc said:
25 ft??? He's selling the hotdogs!

Hey---don't make fun of hot dogs----they are great at a football game!

;)

FutureEYEdoc09 said:
Hey Buddy...........don't knock Costco it is a fine retail establishment! :) Actually I will be working in a surgery center with OMD's but that was a good one!

I do have a question for you---a serious one. Do you find that the minority counterparts of yours are less effective and of lower quality----on the average---based your experience?

FutureEYEdoc09 said:
I do have a question for you---a serious one. Do you find that the minority counterparts of yours are less effective and of lower quality----on the average---based your experience?

I would rather not open up that can-o-worms. Let's just say that--more and more--privately-funded medical school scholarships are being recinded by the donors because of schools admitting too many inferiorly-qualified minority students.

The way many donors (usually white) feel is that, if this continues, there will be only a few spots in the upcoming years for white males.

In fact, I knew a black chick at my undergrad that was in some minority-in-medicine program who got in the TEENS on the MCAT (17) and was admitted to a school from which I was not even granted an interview via that program.

There's a solid arguement. If people want to be treated as equals, get rid of the freakin' double-standards, and judge ALL-COMERs by the same standards!

The schools will say that the minorites go back and serve their communities...but that's hog-wash, since the most even remotely intellectually-inclined individuals move as far away from the underserved areas as they can (look up the stats).

They'll also talk about affirmative action and so on...but name that minority who knew a slave. It's interesting that Asians came to this country a hundred years or more after blacks, but the Asians are now AHEAD of whites in terms of socioeconomic status, whereas the blacks are consistently at the lowest on most socioecomonic parameters. Are they vicitims?

The final point I'll leave up to you. Ask your attendings behind closed doors how they trust minority attendings for anything...then you'll really have your answer.

PS:
Some may take offence to these truths. Please don't. It is NOT meant to hurt anyone. It's just the way things are currently. It's quite objective, not subjective. Instead of bashing me, try to get rid of these silly double-standards, because the faster it's done, the better.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
I would rather not open up that can-o-worms. Let's just say that--more and more--privately-funded medical school scholarships are being recinded by the donors because of schools admitting too many inferiorly-qualified minority students.

The way many donors (usually white) feel is that, if this continues, there will be only a few spots in the upcoming years for white males.

In fact, I knew a black chick at my undergrad that was in some minority-in-medicine program who got in the TEENS on the MCAT (17) and was admitted to a school from which I was not even granted an interview via that program.

There's a solid arguement. If people want to be treated as equals, get rid of the freakin' double-standards, and judge ALL-COMERs by the same standards!

The schools will say that the minorites go back and serve their communities...but that's hog-wash, since the most even remotely intellectually-inclined individuals move as far away from the underserved areas as they can (look up the stats).

They'll also talk about affirmative action and so on...but name that minority who knew a slave. It's interesting that Asians came to this country a hundred years or more after blacks, but the Asians are now AHEAD of whites in terms of socioeconomic status, whereas the blacks are consistently at the lowest on most socioecomonic parameters. Are they vicitims?

The final point I'll leave up to you. Ask your attendings behind closed doors how they trust minority attendings for anything...then you'll really have your answer.

PS:
Some may take offence to these truths. Please don't. It is NOT meant to hurt anyone. It's just the way things are currently. It's quite objective, not subjective. Instead of bashing me, try to get rid of these silly double-standards, because the faster it's done, the better.

Your point is very well taken......Thank you for the response... :thumbup:

MS3NavyFS2B said:

misspelled rescinded................... sorry, couldn't resist.

Looks like I may become an internist after all.

Carpe

Navy,

Your comments reflect an ideology that most of us minorities thought was relatively dead decades ago. You simply have no idea about what it is like to grow up as a minority. The hurdles are monumental. MCAT does not mean a damn thing in terms of minority future success as a physician. I had a 23M MCAT score, but my USMLE and COMLEX scores were very good....232/94, 715/99. Your statments glare of bigitry and I can promise you that your flight surgeon future will not be successful if you maintain that attitude. If you thought being around minorities was bad in civilian world, just wait until you get in the Navy. The Navy is flooded with Philipinos, Hispanics, African Americans, and tons of minority physicians. I suggest you put yourself out of your misery now and pay back your scholarship, and move to rural Idaho where you can get a piece of high land near Ruby Ridge!!

PACtoDOC said:
Navy,

Your comments reflect an ideology that most of us minorities thought was relatively dead decades ago. You simply have no idea about what it is like to grow up as a minority. The hurdles are monumental. MCAT does not mean a damn thing in terms of minority future success as a physician. I had a 23M MCAT score, but my USMLE and COMLEX scores were very good....232/94, 715/99. Your statments glare of bigitry and I can promise you that your flight surgeon future will not be successful if you maintain that attitude. If you thought being around minorities was bad in civilian world, just wait until you get in the Navy. The Navy is flooded with Philipinos, Hispanics, African Americans, and tons of minority physicians. I suggest you put yourself out of your misery now and pay back your scholarship, and move to rural Idaho where you can get a piece of high land near Ruby Ridge!!

Being a minority as well I still believe that Navy is just telling it as he sees it. I personally think standardized tests are financial extortion and worthless as a diagnostic to predict the future competance of doctors whether it is the MCAT, DAT, OAT, GRE (science) etc.......I just took the OAT and got a 350 (average is around 320) and felt like the whole time it was a "load of crap" just like when I took the MCAT and did well on it (30). The ability to be a critical thinker, diagnose, solve problems (patient related), possess "bedside manner"---I know it is an overused term, and be and effective communicator can never be deduced from a 2-dimensional waste of pencil lead that a standardized test is. But you here the comments about how there are direct correlations with good MCAT scores and successful medical students..... :sleep: I bet if they eliminated standardized tests as a requirement for admission to any of these professional programs previously mentioned...the rule of natural selection would still apply and only the ones who have the self-efficacy and abilty would graduate from medical school, optometry school, dental school and so on. You still have GPA, extra-curriculars, interviews and so on....to give them a measuring stick. There are a lot of doctors out there who have absolutely no communication skills whatsoever and being a person who did marketing and sales for years I must say that it is ridiculous that people like that end up as physicians! lol Anyway I must return from my tangent......I agree with Navy but respect your opinion too.....My parents where immigrant doctors here in the early 70's and went thru a lot of crap!

FutureEYEdoc09 said:
Being a minority as well I still believe that Navy is just telling it as he sees it. I personally think standardized tests are financial extortion and worthless as a diagnostic to predict the future competance of doctors whether it is the MCAT, DAT, OAT, GRE (science) etc.......I just took the OAT and got a 350 (average is around 320) and felt like the whole time it was a "load of crap" just like when I took the MCAT and did well on it (30). The ability to be a critical thinker, diagnose, solve problems (patient related), possess "bedside manner"---I know it is an overused term, and be and effective communicator can never be deduced from a 2-dimensional waste of pencil lead that a standardized test is. But you here the comments about how there are direct correlations with good MCAT scores and successful medical students..... :sleep: I bet if they eliminated standardized tests as a requiremant for admission to any of these professional programs previously mentioned...the rule of natural selection would still apply and only the ones who have the self-efficacy and abilty would graduate from medical school, optometry school, dental school and so on. You still have GPA, extra-curriculars, interviews and so on....to give them a measuring stick. There are a lot of doctors out there who have absolutely no communication skills whatsoever and being a person who did marketing and sales for years I must say that it is ridiculous that people like that end up as physicians! lol Anyway I must return from my tangent......I agree with Navy but respect your opinion too.....My parents where immigrant doctors here in the early 70's and went thru a lot of crap!

By the way....for all the Michigan fans out there

Ohio State 37
Michigan 21

:laugh:

Go Buckeyes......

Members don't see this ad :)
From reading all of the posts and replys in this forum, I would have to agree with most of the sentiments stated. However, I feel as though the most important piece of info left out of the discussion is the patient's well being.

Where is the talk about taking the patients welfare into consideration and determining what is the BEST way to care for any sick individual? Whether the referral may to an MD, DO, DDS, DPM, DVM, OD, DC, PT, OT, etc. ... does it really matter what the letters are behind their name? The previous statement is made with the understanding that those treating patients are well within their scope of practice (limited or not), and are TRAINED to provide the care the patients need.

No matter what field of medicine or specialty we look into, there will always be those bad apples in the bunch and to sterotype one class as being subpar is in the words of dr dre, "immature at best and ignorant at least".

As for ortho vs podiatrists ... I agree with the fact that orthos fix pod mistakes. And the same goes in reverse. Podiatrists fix ortho mistakes as well. Rash generalizations that are one-sided show arrogance and ignorance. We are all part of a team whose main concern is the "patient".. Fighting over semantics is a waste of time and I'd rather spend my time learning about how better to treat my patient's illness.

dcm24001 said:
From reading all of the posts and replys in this forum, I would have to agree with most of the sentiments stated. However, I feel as though the most important piece of info left out of the discussion is the patient's well being.

Where is the talk about taking the patients welfare into consideration and determining what is the BEST way to care for any sick individual? Whether the referral may to an MD, DO, DDS, DPM, DVM, OD, DC, PT, OT, etc. ... does it really matter what the letters are behind their name? The previous statement is made with the understanding that those treating patients are well within their scope of practice (limited or not), and are TRAINED to provide the care the patients need.

No matter what field of medicine or specialty we look into, there will always be those bad apples in the bunch and to sterotype one class as being subpar is in the words of dr dre, "immature at best and ignorant at least".

As for ortho vs podiatrists ... I agree with the fact that orthos fix pod mistakes. And the same goes in reverse. Podiatrists fix ortho mistakes as well. Rash generalizations that are one-sided show arrogance and ignorance. We are all part of a team whose main concern is the "patient".. Fighting over semantics is a waste of time and I'd rather spend my time learning about how better to treat my patient's illness.
:thumbup: Your post is the best I have ever read on here......I agree.

dcm24001 said:

blah blah blah

I think it matters if DVM is "behind their name." You see, Doctors of Veterinary Medicine really shouldn't be practicing human medicine. I'm not sure I would refer Bigfoot or a werewolf to a DVM.

MS3NavyFS2B said:
blah blah blah

I think it matters if DVM is "behind their name." You see, Doctors of Veterinary Medicine really shouldn't be practicing human medicine. I'm not sure I would refer Bigfoot or a werewolf to a DVM.

All you can say is blah blah blah? You read the post and took it literally that a referral for a human being would be sent to a DVM? Can you not infer that those degrees were included for completeness sake? Have you no concern for your patients and their wellbeing? Who says DVM's practice human medicine? For the safety sake of your patients I hope they stay clear away from you since you seem to show such a lack of respect for the person as a human being. Blah blah blah ...

The original question if I recall was what is the difference b/t ortho foot and ankle surgeons and operative podiatrists. The question has degenerated into name calling of "I'm an MD and you're not." In my experience the main difference b/t MD's and all other ancillary health professions (optometrists, chiropractors, podiatrists etc..) is that there is a consistency and uniformity to the training which none of the other fields can assure patients of. If you are seeing a board certified Orthopaedic Surgeon you can be assured that they have been through rigorous training and are capable of making decisions about your care. That said, sometimes the surgeon may say,"you need to see this operative podiatrist I know, he is very good." The fact is you can feel assured with that recommendation that the foot doc is capable (and yes, I have seen an operative podiatrist do a total ankle very well - after being fellowship trained). Unfortunately, there is little uniformity to training in non MD fields. You will see some chiropractors suggesting they can cure allergies and read extremity MRI's. There is little evidence to support the interventions of many of these people. It boils down to doing what is billable. I would also suggest that Eyedoc get the chip off of his/her shoulder though...you are clearly very sensitive about not getting an MD.

dcm24001 said:
All you can say is blah blah blah? You read the post and took it literally that a referral for a human being would be sent to a DVM? Can you not infer that those degrees were included for completeness sake? Have you no concern for your patients and their wellbeing? Who says DVM's practice human medicine? For the safety sake of your patients I hope they stay clear away from you since you seem to show such a lack of respect for the person as a human being. Blah blah blah ...

Blah Blah Blah . . .

endodoc said:
I made ref. to toenails as well in mypost above.... Nursing homes is where they belong, not in the OR.

Hey,

I think you are a self centered freak that needs a major attitude change. :thumbdown:

How are you expected to be a great physicain (asset to society) when you feel the need to bash others that are more humble than you. I for one, want to become a DPM to specialize in foot & ankle surgery. It would take you at least two more years of training to know as much as a DPM with a PM&S-36 residency. As you must not understand, Podiatry has recently been more focused on becoming a surgical subspecialty. Hence, all of the residencies are either PM&S-24 or PM&S-36.

As for undergraduate study, majority of entering students have a Biology or Chemistry B.S. and have taken the MCAT. (I believe this is more than studying flowers!) Also, there is a lot of research going on in Podiatry. Have you noticed that this last year Scholl College of Podiatric Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University has won a major award in their studies from their famous center for ambulatory research lab with diabetic patients. One of the top researchers in diabetic feet, Dr. Armstrong DPM/PhD, has published over 30 articles many in JAMA.

I refuse to carry your negativity about the field of Podiatric Medicine on my back. I am a competitive student with a 3.8GPA, many scholar awards, worked 5 years in a "Nursing Home" and 2 years as a Medical Technologist at the Mayo Clinic. So, I am very aware of the different types of doctors that MD/DO's make up. So, will I every think of myself lower than you (an MD) NEVER!! :laugh:

Speaking of "Nursing Homes", have you ever worked/volunteered in one? Would you ever be so humble to trim someones nails? I have. Also, what medical institute are you affiliated with?

So, my advice to you is to first educating yourself about a professional field before bashing it.

There is a difference between ortho and pods. Pods now see more foot procedures in their residency than an ortho will see in their entire career. In general, orthos NO LONGER TOUCH the foot. The majority of foot surgery in the US is now performed by podiatrists (AMA). Orthos are great with other parts of the body but denying that their needs to be a specialty for the foot alone is like saying that any orthopod can take a hack at the hand. This mentality needs to change because more and more, pods are correcting ortho surgery gone wrong (and it only hurts the patients). Are there bad, poorly trained podiatrists out there? YES! Are poorly trained orthopods out there? YES! Don't get me wrong, I love ortho, and ortho loves podiatry (as ortho groups are a major employer). However, everybody needs to know there place. Podiatrists are the foot and ankle specialist.

As podiatrists are trained, work with, and are employed by orthopods, I can tell you that the opinions of some of these supposed "doctors" are not the opinions of the profession in general.

Ortho2000 said:
If you are seeing a board certified Orthopaedic Surgeon you can be assured that they have been through rigorous training and are capable of making decisions about your care.

However, your statements are also applicable to DPMs. If you are seeing a DPM who is a fellow of the American College of Foot and Ankle Surgeons (board certified by the ABPS), than you can rest assured that the foot and ankle surgeon has completed rigorous training and passed oral and written examinations, including submission of cases for review.

Currently the ABPS is the only certification for foot and ankle surgeons. Orthos have no board for foot and ankle. If you read some opinions by Michael Pinzur, MD (foot and ankle ortho/ Loyola) in Foot and Ankle International. You'll see how general ortho training in the foot and ankle is lacking. You can complete residency with 10 foot cases. We need 350.

Some DPMs do routine care in nursing homes, and others perform complex reconstructions (as the one I performed in my avatar).

Unfortunately turf battles are a part of medicine, and ignorance fuels most of them.

An article published in the July 2003 issue of "Foot and Ankle International," the clinical journal of the American Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Society, reveals that foot and ankle residency training among orthopaedic residents is 'vague' and does not 'require experience or proficiency in this discipline.'"

"Lead author of the article, Michael S. Pinzur, MD, of the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery and Rehabilitation at Loyola University Medical Center, utilized a survey form sent to the chairs of 148 accredited residency programs in orthopedic surgery in the United States. The response rate was 100%."

"Results showed that 80 programs (54.1 percent) had just one faculty member, while 21 programs (14.2 percent) had no faculty member with a dedicated interest in foot and ankle orthopedics. Fifteen programs (10.1%) did not have a committed faculty member, nor did their residents have a clinical rotation dedicated to foot and ankle care."

"Ninety-six percent of the programs had a dedicated clinical foot and ankle experience, while 33 assigned their residents to clinical foot and ankle rotations at multiple times during their training. Overall, the total duration of their foot and ankle clinical training ranged from as little as 6 weeks, to as much as 24 weeks, out of a possible 260 weeks of residency training."

"The authors state the survery results show the disparity of commitment to foot and ankle orthopaedics in American graduate medical education in orthopaedic surgery. The article concludes by stating, 'While most programs are in compliance with the guidlines published by the Accreditation Council for Graduate medical Education, many programs offer virtually no exposure to this important discipline.'"

"In stark contrast is the training of podiatrists," said APMA President LLoyd S. Smith, DPM. 'Our students currently receive six to seven years of formalized training in the foot, ankle and related structures during their educational experiences. Their initial years are of a general nature quite similar to medical school students. Many of those classes are now held jointly at health science centers where the medical and podiatry students are integrated into the same classrooms.'"

"During the second and third years, the future podiatrists begin to focus on the lower extremity issues. Ultimately the fourth year in school and the subsequent years as a resident allow the podiatrist to receive vastly more training and experience in lower extremity pathology than any other health care professional in the United States."

An orthopod is a highly trained expert, who has sacrificed a great deal of his or her time to their craft. They are usually the best of the best in their respective medical school classes.
Podiatrist are also highly trained specialist, with their focus being mainly on the lower extremity. Some Podiatrist do complicated foot and ankle surgery. Some podiatrist do more pallative work such as c&c.
I think we podiatrist are able to offer more nonsurgical options than your average foot and ankle orthopod due to the nature of our training, but there are exception to that rule.
I think when it comes down to it, its not the degree of the practioner one need to take soley into consideration, but the individual experience of that doctor.( I have to say though, it kills me when someone comes to me for a foot or ankle problem and they tell me they went to a chiropractor first, but thats another topic)
Personally, I know a orthopod who is an absolute magnificent foot and ankle guy. I also know a foot and ankle ortho who is a hack. Same holds true for Podiatry( we all know someone in our class who we wouldnt let trim our toenails let alone do surgery on us).
I am in the process of looking for a good pediatrican, but just because there may be a MD behind someones name doesnt make me feel comfortable with just anybody. Its all about the individual. My 1.5 cents.