Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Clinic Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubblehead-to-MD

Emergency Blow!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I conducted a search for similar topics, but ended up wasting several valuable minutes scanning threads that ended up being of no use.

I am a rising MS-2 that is working with an orthopaedic surgeon in his sports medicine clinic (and on research) throughout the summer. Since our exposure to clinical medicine throughout the MS-1 year is extremely limited, I was hoping to obtain some advice regarding what I could read/do to make myself more useful during the clinic days.

Is there a particular reference that is useful for orthopaedic sports medicine history and physical examination techniques?

Thanks for any input. I would ask the surgeon directly, but I do not want come off as "brown-nosing." I genuinely want to be able to contribute something / make his day a little bit easier, rather than creating more work for him.

Members don't see this ad.

I conducted a search for similar topics, but ended up wasting several valuable minutes scanning threads that ended up being of no use.

I am a rising MS-2 that is working with an orthopaedic surgeon in his sports medicine clinic (and on research) throughout the summer. Since our exposure to clinical medicine throughout the MS-1 year is extremely limited, I was hoping to obtain some advice regarding what I could read/do to make myself more useful during the clinic days.

Is there a particular reference that is useful for orthopaedic sports medicine history and physical examination techniques?

Thanks for any input. I would ask the surgeon directly, but I do not want come off as "brown-nosing." I genuinely want to be able to contribute something / make his day a little bit easier, rather than creating more work for him.

lol, "several valuable minutes...". Chill win-ston.

My first day of clinic for my gen surg rotation (done in the community, not a teaching hospital), I told the attending I was with I didn't want to slow him down. He told me that any student, by definition, slows him down. If he didn't mind being slowed down, he wouldn't take any students.

I can't recommend a "sports medicine" book. When I got interested in ortho I read "Netter's Orthopaedics" and "Netter's Orthopaedic Anatomy" to start. The first one is a decent (but not great) intro book, covers a bit of everything. The second is essential reading for ortho keeners, focuses on anatomy and also has some clinical info (great summary pages). I don't think Net. Ort. Anat. is what you are looking for exactly, but it is a useful book. I would just go to your library and see what is there.

Just curious, what exactly is a "rising MS-2?" It certainly sounds impressive!

My first day of clinic for my gen surg rotation (done in the community, not a teaching hospital), I told the attending I was with I didn't want to slow him down. He told me that any student, by definition, slows him down. If he didn't mind being slowed down, he wouldn't take any students.

I can't recommend a "sports medicine" book. When I got interested in ortho I read "Netter's Orthopaedics" and "Netter's Orthopaedic Anatomy" to start. The first one is a decent (but not great) intro book, covers a bit of everything. The second is essential reading for ortho keeners, focuses on anatomy and also has some clinical info (great summary pages). I don't think Net. Ort. Anat. is what you are looking for exactly, but it is a useful book. I would just go to your library and see what is there.

It may be that submarine in the avatar. ;)

Generally a rising MS-# is someone who's just finished a year in med school and hasn't yet started the next year.

I would say ask your attending what they expect and maybe t. It doesn't seem like brown-nosing, and it's generally expected to do on the wards if your resident doesn't tell you. He may also have a book for you to reference. I agree with the book selection; I really like Netter's Ortho Anatomy; I used it constantly last year on my ortho rotation. I also referenced Salter's book and Hoppenfield, but my copies are a bit old. This time in a clinic also seems like a good opportunity to learn the musculoskeletal exam, which wasn't taught very well at my school M2 or M3 year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into those books.

About that "several valuable minutes:" do a search for sports medicine in the ortho forum, and glance at a few of the threads - you will know exactly what I am talking about. It's amazing what people will post in here!

A "rising MS-2" is definitely not impressive (although I will admit that it has a certain excitation associated with it). We use that terminology to describe the in-limbo status of having completed the MS-1 year, but not yet begun the academics of MS-2 year.

Thanks again!

I would say ask your attending what they expect and maybe t. It doesn't seem like brown-nosing, and it's generally expected to do on the wards if your resident doesn't tell you. He may also have a book for you to reference. I agree with the book selection; I really like Netter's Ortho Anatomy; I used it constantly last year on my ortho rotation. I also referenced Salter's book and Hoppenfield, but my copies are a bit old. This time in a clinic also seems like a good opportunity to learn the musculoskeletal exam, which wasn't taught very well at my school M2 or M3 year.

Ashers - Thanks for your input as well. With regard to the musculoskeletal exam: is there a good reference for this? I have a copy of Bates' Guide to Physical Examination. Is that considered acceptable? I would imagine there would not be much variability between books, but I just want to make sure!

Ashers - Thanks for your input as well. With regard to the musculoskeletal exam: is there a good reference for this? I have a copy of Bates' Guide to Physical Examination. Is that considered acceptable? I would imagine there would not be much variability between books, but I just want to make sure!

Bates goes over everything; so it's not going to cover nearly as much as, say, Hoppenfield's Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities. I don't know what the new version is like; I inherited my dad's from when he was a resident (1970s); and my dad's Salter Textbook of Disorders and Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System from his med student days. As a reference thing, UCI states that Hoppenfield and Salter are required texts for their ortho sub-I.

To be fair though, I never used Bates for the musculoskeletal exam.

Bates goes over everything; so it's not going to cover nearly as much as, say, Hoppenfield's Physical Examination of the Spine and Extremities. I don't know what the new version is like; I inherited my dad's from when he was a resident (1970s); and my dad's Salter Textbook of Disorders and Injuries of the Musculoskeletal System from his med student days. As a reference thing, UCI states that Hoppenfield and Salter are required texts for their ortho sub-I.

To be fair though, I never used Bates for the musculoskeletal exam.

Thanks again - that is exactly the information I was looking for!

You can get Wheeless' Orthopaedics online through Duke Ortho. Google it.

Still not real clear on "Ortho Sports Medicine" since "Ortho" and "Sports Medicine" don't commonly go together. Kind of like saying you're working in a "Neurosurgical Endocrinology" clinic. But regardless:

Hoppenfelds is, for me, the gold standard of physical examination books. Bates is weak for musculoskeletal exam, as are most "Physical Diagnosis" books. The only problem with Hoppenfeld is that it skips a lot of specialty maneuvers, but you can usually fill that in well with other sources. I continually refer to it to refresh myself on the basics.

Wheeless is a nice source for looking up specialty information on specific topics, but it's much stronger on the surgical management than the nonsurgical. If you have a topic you want a quick cheat sheet on, use Wheeless. But don't rely on it for in-depth learning, and it definitely assumes a certain level of Orthopaedic knowledge that you may not have.

I still maintain that a med student only needs three books for any Ortho rotation (clinical or operative). Hoppenfelds, Koval (which you mentioned) and Netter's concise atlas. Those three let me nail all my 4th year rotations. Anything more is pretty unnecessary until you're in residency.

Still not real clear on "Ortho Sports Medicine" since "Ortho" and "Sports Medicine" don't commonly go together. Kind of like saying you're working in a "Neurosurgical Endocrinology" clinic. But regardless:

Thanks for taking the time to provide all of that input. Just to be clear, so that I do not continue to get this wrong, how do you refer to the practice of an orthopaedic surgeon that has completed a fellowship in sports medicine? I know that there are also sports medicine fellowships for individuals in family medicine, and emergency medicine. How do you distinguish between the three? Thanks!

Thanks for taking the time to provide all of that input. Just to be clear, so that I do not continue to get this wrong, how do you refer to the practice of an orthopaedic surgeon that has completed a fellowship in sports medicine? I know that there are also sports medicine fellowships for individuals in family medicine, and emergency medicine. How do you distinguish between the three? Thanks!

I have never heard of such a thing.

Personally, I can't imagine why a surgeon would torture themselves with such a silly fellowship.

Are you absolutely sure he didn't do subspecialty training in Sports Ortho?

I have never heard of such a thing.

Personally, I can't imagine why a surgeon would torture themselves with such a silly fellowship.

Are you absolutely sure he didn't do subspecialty training in Sports Ortho?

im sure he means sports ortho. I have heard others refer to it as "orthopedic sports medicine" before.

im sure he means sports ortho. I have heard others refer to it as "orthopedic sports medicine" before.

That's a new one on me.

Calling Sports "Sports Medicine" in my program earns you a beat down.