ortho trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MErc44

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some info on orthopedic trauma surgery. If anyone could post their experiences with this most excellent career choice or if you are one some info on what your schedule is like would be appreciated. Also, please dont tell me that the best way to get this information is to actually follow one around, second year is almost over for me and finals are approaching so time is precious.

Members don't see this ad.

MErc44 said:
I'm looking for some info on orthopedic trauma surgery. If anyone could post their experiences with this most excellent career choice or if you are one some info on what your schedule is like would be appreciated. Also, please dont tell me that the best way to get this information is to actually follow one around, second year is almost over for me and finals are approaching so time is precious.
A good source of information can be found on orthopedic surgery residency ring website. Click under forums and orthopedic fellowships. You don't need to follow anyone around. As a medical student who is interested in orthopedics you will most likely rotate on the trauma service or could arrange to do so. The practice of an orthopedic traumatologist can vary from academics, private practice, hospital employee, ect. The hours can vary from one week on/ one week off, q2, q3, etc. There are plenty of fellowships to chose from and greater number of jobs available to pick from. There no rush to decide on an orthopedic subspecialty instead focus on getting an orthopedic residency. Most orthopods handle trauma it is the nature of the field. If you are interested in fixing pelvis and acetabular fractures, then I would recommend doing a one year fellowship in orthopedic trauma post residency.

MErc44 said:

One aspect of trauma to be mentioned is the litigious nature of trauma patients and/or their families. It's a fact of life that many trauma patients do not have insurance but do have large bills once they leave the hospital. Hospitals/physicians have deep pockets and so are often targets for claims in hope that physicians/hospitals will reduce charges in exchange for suits being dropped.

Moreover, heaven-forbid a trauma patient should die. As you know, people aren't supposed to die. A general rule in any of medicine is that suits are lost not for malpractice but rather when bad things happen to good people (bad things not equalling malpractice). The OB example is a 22yo mother who dies during childbirth with a crying widower husband holding a baby behind the plaintiff's table. The ortho example is a young mother who got drunk and drove her car into a pole at 80mph and died from a PE during surgery.

Juries award on sympathy and families (too often) sue on emotion (if only prodded by ambulance chasers).

Trauma is rewarding work, but negative externalities may negate the benifits, depending on your personal predisposition.