Ortho. Research - Summer after M1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rick james MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post of any known structured ortho. research fellowships for the summer after M1 year. I know HSS has one, but I am looking for any others. I am also aware that this can be done independently at any institution, but I'm trying to get a sense of the various programs out there. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Your question is pretty broad.

How long do you plan to work for? There are several national programs (HHMI, Doris Duke, NIH) that support med students taking a year off for research. Summer programs narrow your focus. Industry also supports some device testing, though that may be out of the league of a lone MS1.

What area of the country are you looking for? (or how far are you willing to travel?)

What do type of research do you want to do? (basic science vs. clinical)

What subject matter do you want to study? (e.g., replacement joints, bone material substitues, mechanical testing of bone, fracture fixation device testing, 3-D motion capture surgical devices, gait analysis, biomechanics of movement, or any number of bone and joint related diseases)

RxnMan,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a preference as to locale or research area. I am looking more towards clinical than basic science research. Again, I am just trying to find more summer programs in ortho.

Members don't see this ad :)
RxnMan,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have a preference as to locale or research area. I am looking more towards clinical than basic science research. Again, I am just trying to find more summer programs in ortho.
Really I'd suggest just looking in your home department. What you're suggesting (clincal research, one summer) is really easy to set up. Talk to some orthopods, see who's looking for help/doing stuff you're interested in, and set up a meeting. No, it won't be structured. No, it may not have the 'prestige' of a HHMI experience or NIH grant.

However, an independent project takes little effort to get started (structured programs all require applications and time, and in the end you may not get a spot and be stuck at square one). You'll make a friend who you'll probably see on a future rotation (and be an advocate and letter-writer). It'll be much more flexible, time- and project-wise. Your time is at a premium as it is, and 99% of the other orthos-to-be won't have structured experiences either.

But if you still want something structured, look at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, NSF, and NIH. Within the NIH each institute may have their own program, separate from the overall governing body. Check each one out. The Cleveland Clinic has a summer biomechanics program.

Also check within your school - many places have structured summer research programs that aren't widely advertised. Talk to your med student education office or student research coordinator about these.

Really, the thing that distinguishes a research experience is if you get published or not. Look for my posts elsewhere in this forum and read the 'get published fast' thread (actually in Student Research Forum) if you want help on that.

Thanks a lot for your help. I'll check out that thread.