Ortho Q&A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PennDippody

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have recently had some amazing Q&A threads over in pre-allo that were started by a few very generous docs from specific specialties - Derm, Radonc, Gen Surg, and Neurosurg in an open ended "Ask Me Anything" kind of format. I was wondering if anyone in here would mind starting something like that for Orthopedic Surgery in the Pre-Allo forum as well.

I would venture to say we all agree that those threads have been exceedingly informative for us.

Either way, thanks for your time!

Below are the other threads for reference:

Ask A Radiation Oncology Resident Anything
Ask A Neurosurgery Resident Anythingt
Ask A Surgery Resident Anything
Ask A Derm Resident Anything

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All,

We have recently had some amazing Q&A threads over in pre-allo that were started by a few very generous docs from specific specialties - Derm, Radonc, Gen Surg, and Neurosurg in an open ended "Ask Away" kind of format. I was wondering if anyone in here would mind starting something like that for Orthopedic Surgery in the pre-allo forum as well.

I would venture to say we all agree that those threads have been exceedingly informative for us.

I think if you provided links to those threads/the forum, that would be helpful.

I think if you provided links to those threads/the forum, that would be helpful.

I'm not sure why no one would be able to find the Pre-Allopathic forum, as its clearly listed very near the top of all the SDN forums, but here is the link.

As for links to the threads by other specialties, we are not asking an Ortho resident/attending to post in *those* threads but to offer to make a new thread. Your specialty is a very popular one and students would benefit from some senior input.

Thanking anyone in advance for their help.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just matched in ortho so I can give some insights into the medical school part of it. I'll defer to the more senior posters for information about residency and it as a career.

Hi All,

We have recently had some amazing Q&A threads over in pre-allo that were started by a few very generous docs from specific specialties - Derm, Radonc, Gen Surg, and Neurosurg in an open ended "Ask Away" kind of format. I was wondering if anyone in here would mind starting something like that for Orthopedic Surgery in the pre-allo forum as well.

I'm sure if you start an "Ortho Q&A" thread and have questions there will be no shortage of senior med students, residents, and attendings willing to answer your questions.

I'm sure if you start an "Ortho Q&A" thread and have questions there will be no shortage of senior med students, residents, and attendings willing to answer your questions.

The point is to have an Ortho resident or attending START a thread in the Pre-Allo forum called, "Ask an Orthopedic Surgery Resident/Attending Anything" just like so many others have (ie, Neurosurgery, General Surgery, Rad Onc, Plastics).

This requires some ownership of the thread and willingness to commit to answering the questions. The above specialty threads have been started by residents without any special requests; they did it without having to be asked, because they wanted to give back to SDN and to the students behind them. They committed to coming back to the thread and answering questions as they could and they were very helpful and popular threads.

If the Pre-Meds just start a thread on their own, there is no responsibility from anyone to respond to it and it will just die or go unanswered by anyone with any real inside knowledge.

I agree with Winged that an "Ask an orthopedic surgeon anything" thread would be awesome. Can someone please volunteer?

orthogate.org

1) you seem to have some issue with the topic of this thread; why is that?

These students simply want more insider information on Orthopedics *here* on SDN, not elsewhere. All they're asking is that someone be generous enough with their time to do so.

2) referring users to other sites which compete with SDN (ie, by having forums) is a Terms of Service violation, BTW

No issue at all actually, I think it would be a great thread. Sorry about the violation but I'm just "giving back" to the up and coming students. Speaking as someone who recently went through the application process and had lots of questions about ortho, I'm just saying SDN isn't the only resource.

No issue at all actually, I think it would be a great thread. Sorry about the violation but I'm just "giving back" to the up and coming students. Speaking as someone who recently went through the application process and had lots of questions about ortho, I'm just saying SDN isn't the only resource.

I understand that there are other resources out there and people are encouraged to use what they need. But it's off topic and unnecessary in this thread.

I apologize if I misunderstood your intentions.

I'm not sure why no one would be able to find the Pre-Allopathic forum, as its clearly listed very near the top of all the SDN forums, but here is the link.

As for links to the threads by other specialties, we are not asking an Ortho resident/attending to post in *those* threads but to offer to make a new thread. Your specialty is a very popular one and students would benefit from some senior input.

Thanking anyone in advance for their help.

It may be clearly listed somewhere, but if you [I realize you aren't the OP here] want to make it easy for potential contributors to find, then why not include a link? If you're soliciting people to do things for you, it makes sense to make it easy on them. Second, I asked to include the links to other specialties' threads because that would give a better idea of how those threads started and what goes on in them, not because I thought ortho residents would just hop on into them. And those threads might not be at the top of the premed forum, or they might be called something else.

It may be clearly listed somewhere, but if you [I realize you aren't the OP here] want to make it easy for potential contributors to find, then why not include a link? If you're soliciting people to do things for you, it makes sense to make it easy on them. Second, I asked to include the links to other specialties' threads because that would give a better idea of how those threads started and what goes on in them, not because I thought ortho residents would just hop on into them. And those threads might not be at the top of the premed forum, or they might be called something else.

Just updated the opening post with the links if that helps...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I just matched in ortho so I can give some insights into the medical school part of it. I'll defer to the more senior posters for information about residency and it as a career.

Congrats! The rest of us poor fools have a few more days of waiting. :scared:

Hi All,

We have recently had some amazing Q&A threads over in pre-allo that were started by a few very generous docs from specific specialties - Derm, Radonc, Gen Surg, and Neurosurg in an open ended "Ask Me Anything" kind of format. I was wondering if anyone in here would mind starting something like that for Orthopedic Surgery in the Pre-Allo forum as well.

Below are the other threads for reference:

Ask A Radiation Oncology Resident Anything
Ask A Neurosurgery Resident Anythingt
Ask A Surgery Resident Anything
Ask A Derm Resident Anything
I did one for ya, however I am an Osteopathic Student who just matched ortho - so that may not apply to your specific circumstances. But I thought it was a good idea, since I didnt get much help when I went through the process.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=989582

I don't mean to frustrate the OP, but you need to understand that most (if not all) students going into orthopaedic surgery, ortho residents, and ortho attendings that are interested in posting online are going to focus their attention at www.orthogate.org... it has an incredible amount of information for those considering the field for residency.

Here is the link to the page on Orthogate where attendings answer questions anonymously:
http://www.orthogate.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Disclaimer: I'm a 4th year med student that applied and interviewed for ortho residency, eagerly awaiting next week's match results.

1) Referring users to other forums or websites that compete with SDN is a violation of the terms of service. I think I was pretty clear about that in my post above.

2) The point is we have some premed students who enjoy this website and want the information *here*. They don't necessarily feel comfortable going else where for that information and it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to ask that a member of this website, the largest medical oriented site in existence, give them some help. Thank you to those of you who have offered your help.

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed that although there are other websites, that the students who have used THIS website to get into orthopedics don't hang around here to help those behind them.

Last edited:
1) Referring users to other forums or websites that compete with SDN is a violation of the terms of service. I think I was pretty clear about that in my post above.

2) The point is we have some premed students who enjoy this website and want the information *here*. They don't necessarily feel comfortable going else where for that information and it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to ask that a member of this website, the largest medical oriented in existence, give them some help. Thank you to those of you who have offered your help.

Frankly I'm a bit disappointed that although there are other websites, that the students who have used THIS website to get into orthopedics don't hang around here to help those behind them.

Has anyone really used THIS site to get into orthopedics?? JKJK. I have to say I agree with medicine0509, however it is true that people who enjoy this site should give back by sharing their experiences. Applying ortho is after all quite a challenge these days. After the match there will be willing contributors I'm sure.

I don't mean to frustrate the OP, but you need to understand that most (if not all) students going into orthopaedic surgery, ortho residents, and ortho attendings that are interested in posting online are going to focus their attention at www.orthogate.org... it has an incredible amount of information for those considering the field for residency.

Here is the link to the page on Orthogate where attendings answer questions anonymously:
http://www.orthogate.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=18

Disclaimer: I'm a 4th year med student that applied and interviewed for ortho residency, eagerly awaiting next week's match results.
I posted on another forum about orthogate. It's a good resource but I feel it's way outdated in most avenues. I felt those on SDN who has posted recently were a much more valuable resource. Just my two cents. Programs change, staff turnover and resident changes can create a whole new situation and getting fresh ideas and info is invaluable. With Ortho becoming more competitive I feel those of us who've just gone through the process are much more aware of the demand and requirements to get in than even those who've matched 2-4 years ago.

Matched Ortho :). Can't wait for July.

I posted on another forum about orthogate. It's a good resource but I feel it's way outdated in most avenues. I felt those on SDN who has posted recently were a much more valuable resource. Just my two cents. Programs change, staff turnover and resident changes can create a whole new situation and getting fresh ideas and info is invaluable. With Ortho becoming more competitive I feel those of us who've just gone through the process are much more aware of the demand and requirements to get in than even those who've matched 2-4 years ago.

Matched Ortho :). Can't wait for July.

If you go on the other mentioned site, most of the threads have no responses or are threads pitching a research fellowship. One good thing about it is the residency reviews. Otherwise I think SDN has the potential to be better. It's just hard to build it up since the ortho community on SDN is small and very busy.

I think both sites serve their purpose. Many of SDNs threads get derailed quickly or are also outdated. The other is much more organized and the residency reviews are helpful. But as bleaker mentioned many of the threads go unanswered, especially on the DO side. So hopefully this thread continues to stay afloat and we can continue to contribute throughout residency.

I think both sites serve their purpose. Many of SDNs threads get derailed quickly or are also outdated. The other is much more organized and the residency reviews are helpful. But as bleaker mentioned many of the threads go unanswered, especially on the DO side. So hopefully this thread continues to stay afloat and we can continue to contribute throughout residency.

If that happens in the professional forums, please Report the post as it is our goal to reduce that as much as possible. The residents and attendings seem much more able to avoid that than do the pre med students.

We would love to have a residency review database but most SDNers are too paranoid they'll be found out (reasonable given the popularity of this site) to post anything negative which might be helpfull.

Well if anyone wants to post reviews, good or bad, feel free to PM me and I will post the information anonymously for them. And I agree the pro forums keep focus much better than pre-med. but willing to help in any way as most of us that just finished the process would agree that information on DO ortho is sparse and many times outdated.

Well if anyone wants to post reviews, good or bad, feel free to PM me and I will post the information anonymously for them. And I agree the pro forums keep focus much better than pre-med. but willing to help in any way as most of us that just finished the process would agree that information on DO ortho is sparse and many times outdated.

Thank you for the offer.

In addition, I or any staff member would also be willing to keep reviews confidential and post them in a stickied thread.