ortho programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2006MD

Beda hell ker 4 Kalifonya
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I can look up the top residency programs on us news; does anyone have an opinion on the top 10 residency sites by "middle tier" and the top 10 "LOW-tier" programs.

Members don't see this ad.

2006MD said:
Although I can look up the top residency programs on us news; does anyone have an opinion on the top 10 residency sites by "middle tier" and the top 10 "LOW-tier" programs.

bump.

sorry guys. i know this was discussed before, but haven't had any luck finding what i'm looking for.

2006MD said:

I believe the usnews rankings for best departments in the country are geared toward which programs are best for patients, not in terms of training. while in many cases programs that are best for patients may also be best for training, this is not always true. the rankings take into account research dollars, patient morbidity, and nurse to patient ratio.
these factors dont necessarily mean a good residency program.
for example (and this is extreme and decidedly unrealistic), if an attending with 20 years of experience does the all of the cases, without letting residents touch the patient, outcomes will probably be better, but resident education will suffer. similarly a program with alot of fellows probably increases a programs reputation, but decreases resident operative experience as well. admittedly, these sorts of "hands-off" programs have other ways of teaching residents, through lectures, more saw-bone experience, etc. on the other hand, how many IM nails do you really need to do to become comfortable doing them yourself? in other words, do you really need to just be operating all five years of residency to learn anything? probably not. time in the class room is probably just as important.

you just have to decide how you learn best and pick a program that fills those needs, and in my opinion, balances the hands-on teaching with the theory stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
k-wire said:
I believe the usnews rankings for best departments in the country are geared toward which programs are best for patients, not in terms of training. while in many cases programs that are best for patients may also be best for training, this is not always true. the rankings take into account research dollars, patient morbidity, and nurse to patient ratio.
these factors dont necessarily mean a good residency program.
for example (and this is extreme and decidedly unrealistic), if an attending with 20 years of experience does the all of the cases, without letting residents touch the patient, outcomes will probably be better, but resident education will suffer. similarly a program with alot of fellows probably increases a programs reputation, but decreases resident operative experience as well. admittedly, these sorts of "hands-off" programs have other ways of teaching residents, through lectures, more saw-bone experience, etc. on the other hand, how many IM nails do you really need to do to become comfortable doing them yourself? in other words, do you really need to just be operating all five years of residency to learn anything? probably not. time in the class room is probably just as important.

you just have to decide how you learn best and pick a program that fills those needs, and in my opinion, balances the hands-on teaching with the theory stuff.

you bring up a lot of great points k-wire. thank you.
just for brainstorming's sake for someone not as familiar w/any of the ortho programs, in terms of residency training, any thoughts on particular schools that one might consider middle teir...low teir? really appreciate your help man.

some good 3rd party advice on hidden gems...

one that i was particularly impressed with was rochester in ny. it had an impressive basic sciences research area/number of faculty dedicated to ortho and good schedule as far as lectures go. it had all specialties covered, but was maybe a little light on trauma, although they had only recently gotten a big name in trauma there (about 1 year ago when i interviewed). i would have ranked it higher but rochester ny is cold as hell, as it was i put it on my list.

ufl had ok operative experience, and it looked like they had impressive research/basic science facilities/faculty that were underutilized, but they have great funding for research so that may change.

uconn recently constructed a new research facility, that seemed pretty nice, but i didnt get the feeling that it was going to go very far. keep an eye on it.

ohio state seemed pretty solid with a good mix of private practice type cases and large academic hospital type stuff. research must be good since they take people into the 6 year path, although i forgot what the research areas looked like.

baylor seemed like a great place altogether, and i would have ranked them higher, but it was on probation when i applied (it probably wont be when you apply). the one other thing i didnt like about it, and this is just personal preference, was that they organized their rotations by hospital, not by service. so on a single rotation you may see spine, trauma, joints etc. at a level one trauma center/county hospital on one rotation and at a smaller private hospital on another.

u miami. the one huge negative about it is jackson memorial hospital, the county hospital that you do about 80% of your rotations at. it is probably the only hospital i interviewed at that didnt have electronic films, which ends up being a major headache for the pgy 2 and makes that year sucky. however, our tissue bank is the US's largest supplier of osteoarticular allografts (providing tons of research and basic science opportunity), a gait lab (alot of places dont have this, but it also gives your research opportunities), tons of operative experience, and a level one trauma center that covers all of florida south of orlando, the bahamas/carribean, and a handful of times every month people from south america get airlifted in. you get to see TONS of effed up pathology. oh, and they get to work with the miami hurricanes sports teams when they are on that rotation.
and because the program is so busy, they get left to do stuff on your own alot, but not too much.

as a side note- if your interested in doing gait or some other motion analysis research doing residency, but dont know anything about it, all you need to know to figure out how good a gait/motion analysis lab is, is to count the force plates in the ground. more= easier to do experiments and more stuff possible.

tcar18 said:
as a side note- if your interested in doing gait or some other motion analysis research doing residency, but dont know anything about it, all you need to know to figure out how good a gait/motion analysis lab is, is to count the force plates in the ground. more= easier to do experiments and more stuff possible.
U of Colorado ortho is another program that has access to a motion analysis lab.