Ortho fellowship info...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tugbug

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the ortho fellowship options. Specifically, the time involved? A clear indication of my ignorance, but I'm not clear as to what ortho-spine, hip, etc... involve training wise.

What is an ortho's career likely to look like without a fellowship? What procedures are they not qualified to do?

Members don't see this ad.

If anyone is willing, I'd also love to hear why some of you have chosen (or would like) ortho.

I've heard some describe the pluses as:

1. Amazing results - you really get to see some clear successes
2. Maneageable lifestyle.
3. No chance it will be outsourced or "go away" as a career.
4. Cool technology
5. Hands on

Any comments? Additions?

What is the downside?

tugbug said:
Can anyone explain the ortho fellowship options. Specifically, the time involved? A clear indication of my ignorance, but I'm not clear as to what ortho-spine, hip, etc... involve training wise.

What is an ortho's career likely to look like without a fellowship? What procedures are they not qualified to do?

Ortho fellowships involve one extra year of training after a five year residency. The main fellowships are in tumor, peds, spine, foot and ankle, hand, adult reconstruction, sports, and trauma. If you want to further specialize, there are some fellowships out there thay focus on just elbow, or shoulder. As far as what a orthopod is qualified to do...with or without a fellowship, they can do really whatever their community dictates/. In larger communities where everything is subspecialized, many people only do basic trauma (ankles and hips) and whatever their specialty is. IN smaller communities, orthopods do spine, hand, trauma, sports, peds...whatever they are called to do and they will refer what they are not comfortable with.

Members don't see this ad :)
ortho2003 said:
Ortho fellowships involve one extra year of training after a five year residency. The main fellowships are in tumor, peds, spine, foot and ankle, hand, adult reconstruction, sports, and trauma. If you want to further specialize, there are some fellowships out there thay focus on just elbow, or shoulder. As far as what a orthopod is qualified to do...with or without a fellowship, they can do really whatever their community dictates/. In larger communities where everything is subspecialized, many people only do basic trauma (ankles and hips) and whatever their specialty is. IN smaller communities, orthopods do spine, hand, trauma, sports, peds...whatever they are called to do and they will refer what they are not comfortable with.

Thanks for the reply.

ortho2003 said:

I've been hearing about ortho-onc as well - is that a seperate fellowship after ortho residency?